HAL cancelled our cabana 2 days before sailing

lagirlforjesus

21 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

How much interest do you think local media would have in this issue? While it is disappointing for the OP I don't see it generating any outrage or even much interest to the average person. At best maybe a local ombudsman might look into it if the OP wasn't refunded their money for the cabana.

Perhaps not much but if everyone that is dissatisfied books other cruise lines, that will get their attentions.  

4 hours ago, lagirlforjesus said:

We booked a less expensive cabin because we were planning on using the family cabana as our outside space.

We are on the cruise right now and we have contacted ship services as well as guest services onboard at least 8 times regarding the matter.  They have repeatedly told us that they would get back to us at a certain time and we have been in our room to accept the call at least 4 times and we have waited and waited and waited.  Then we call them again and they say that they will call us back with a solution but we have still not heard from them.  

Nicole, the woman that originally booked our family cabin with ship services has been out of the office; we received an “out of office” email when we tried to respond to her email about the cancellation.  I agree that she should have called me directly. 

Both of the family cabins are occupied currently; neither one of the family cabins is out of service.  

It is not helpful when someone suggests that we should just accept this change and move on.  We spent a tremendous amount of money and time flying to FL and planning this vacation.  The family cabana was the main part of our cruise.  We had one in Alaska last June and our whole family was looking forward to escaping the winter cold and enjoying our privacy on the sold out ship. I called ship services prior to booking my cabin to ensure the cabana was available and then immediately booked the cabin and called them back to secure the cabana.

The ship offered us two smaller cabanas but there is a wall between the smaller cabanas and they are not at all the same as the larger family cabana.  Plus, we have our minor children with us.

HAL needs to honor their first come, first serve policy.  We booked the cabana on October 6th.  We were charged $549.  On Monday, December 19th we received the emailing telling us that it was canceled by Nicole @ ship services.  How can we be certain that a cabana is reserved even when we pay for it and receive a confirmation if HAL can just decide to give it to someone else or worse sell it to you when it’s already been reserved and then not give you compensation for their mistake especially when your cruise was predicated on that purchased amenity. 

We are still waiting a response.  I’ll update when I know more.  

Please walk over / do not telephone to the front office with your supporting paperwork and request to have  a meeting with the guest relations manager (no one below) and plead your case/ask to have her/him explain what happened to your original booking of the fam. cabana. Follow that up by asking her/him what the ship/HAL can do for you to make the situation better and take the bad taste out of your mouth. Plan B is to request a similar meeting with the hotel general manager. Good luck to you!   

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lagirlforjesus said:

They have repeatedly told us that they would get back to us at a certain time and we have been in our room to accept the call at least 4 times and we have waited and waited and waited. ...

It is not helpful when someone suggests that we should just accept this change and move on.  We spent a tremendous amount of money and time flying to FL and planning this vacation.  

Sorry for the suggestion to go enjoy your cruise and not let it bother you. 

Please continue sitting by your phone counting the minutes. 

Vacation time and family time is finite. I would be unhappy just as you are. But I would NOT sit around my room counting minutes until a phone call you know is not coming.  Either go camp out at GS, or go find another of the 100 spots available for 4 people to congregate and enjoy your vacation. The time can NOT be replaced. If you choose to seethe and be miserable, you WILL find supporters here for that behavior, but I won't be a bad guy for not being one of them; sheesh!  Go enjoy the time with your minor children. They don't need to see you upset on vacation and what a waste of everyones time.  If GS needs you, they will leave a message on your phone or a letter on your bed.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

People just love to minimize the feelings of others.  As I asked before, would you be happy with an inside room instead of a pinnacle suite or Neptune if hal kicked you out of it?  For some this is their big celebration, maybe a once in a long time cruise.  I know some people take cruises every other month.  Maybe that would be no big deal then.  Problems happen.  It’s how you fix them that matters.  Hal’s method is ignoring them and hoping they go away.  Just like the airlines that do nothing to fix their issues.  Now they are paying the price.

I don’t think we are saying it is not a disappointment and a wrong.  There are only two choices go or don’t. Complaining is appropriate, trying to get it straightened out is appropriate but a final decision needs to be made.  Go knowing the cabana will not be available or cancel.  Once a decision is made the best should be made of the vacation.   Personally, i would make one big effort to right this then I would go and put this out of mind so I can enjoy the time.  

• Like 9

This wouldn't be the first time that a hotel room, airline seat or cabana got double booked.   The ship can book cabanas, and so can Seattle.    If the ship was not connected to wifi for a few days - that does happen, and a guest on the ship said they wanted a Cabana - the ship may have booked it.  Then, later, when the systems synch - no one notices the little FLAG that popped up - "Please check double booking"   Then a few days before the cruise - when Seattle sends on the bookings to the ship - the ships notices - Hey Seattle - you double booked the Cabana - Then Seattle looks at the dates and cancels the newest reservation.

OR

Some VIP demands the Family Cabana and after being told its full - they contact some executive to override the system and cancel a confirmed guest a few days prior to sailing. Unlikely IMHO

No one has any evidence for either scenario that I have seen - many have jumped to the conclusion that some VIP pulled strings to get the cabana - I have seen no one offer any evidence of that scenario.   Some assume that HAL IT systems are PERFECT  (LOL)  do we really think that HAL IT is incapable of causing a double booking?  

My vote is that the Cabana was double booked due to a system synchronization error.   HAL made it worse by the casual way it was cancelled without explanation or compensation.  HAL failed to recognize how big a deal this was and acted like they were cancelling someone from a double booked shore excursion.   Has HAL ever overbooked - double booked shore excursions?  You bet.   

When someone gets bounced due a double booking - this should result in immediate over compensation - since I hope it would be so rare - I suggested a comped pair of Cabana's and a HIA package - or an upgrade to a much better cabin.   

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Please walk over / do not telephone to the front office with your supporting paperwork and request to have  a meeting with the guest relations manager (no one below) and plead your case/ask to have her/him explain what happened to your original booking of the fam. cabana. Follow that up by asking her/him what the ship/HAL can do for you to make the situation better and take the bad taste out of your mouth. Plan B is to request a similar meeting with the hotel general manager. Good luck to you!   

Thanks Copper for providing the soundest advice on this issue.  Waiting in cabin for a callback is frustrating, time-consuming, and likely to not get as good of results as bringing documentation to a face-to-face meeting with the manager.

One way or another, HAL appears to have messed up this booking.  However, it seems to be a fact that both family cabanas are occupied by other parties and HAL is extremely unlikely to bump those parties from the family cabanas mid-cruise.  The OP doesn't have to like that situation but they need to a accept it as reality and move forward.  Instead of dwelling on that loss the entire cruise, they need to press HAL to come up with an equitable solution to make the remainder of the cruise go better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

(post trimmed to get to the part I want to comment on)

When someone gets bounced due a double booking - this should result in immediate over compensation - since I hope it would be so rare - I suggested a comped pair of Cabana's and a HIA package - or an upgrade to a much better cabin.   

As someone said earlier (but I couldn't find the post), mistakes happen, it's how the company handles it that makes a difference. HAL did not handle this well. Am upgrade is unlikely to be available at this point, and maybe there aren't any of the smaller cabanas. But definitely HIA, some excursion credit, SOMETHING to show that they recognize the customer's disappointment. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

This wouldn't be the first time that a hotel room, airline seat or cabana got double booked.   The ship can book cabanas, and so can Seattle.    If the ship was not connected to wifi for a few days - that does happen, and a guest on the ship said they wanted a Cabana - the ship may have booked it.  Then, later, when the systems synch - no one notices the little FLAG that popped up - "Please check double booking"   Then a few days before the cruise - when Seattle sends on the bookings to the ship - the ships notices - Hey Seattle - you double booked the Cabana - Then Seattle looks at the dates and cancels the newest reservation.

OR

Some VIP demands the Family Cabana and after being told its full - they contact some executive to override the system and cancel a confirmed guest a few days prior to sailing. Unlikely IMHO

No one has any evidence for either scenario that I have seen - many have jumped to the conclusion that some VIP pulled strings to get the cabana - I have seen no one offer any evidence of that scenario.   Some assume that HAL IT systems are PERFECT  (LOL)  do we really think that HAL IT is incapable of causing a double booking?  

My vote is that the Cabana was double booked due to a system synchronization error.   HAL made it worse by the casual way it was cancelled without explanation or compensation.  HAL failed to recognize how big a deal this was and acted like they were cancelling someone from a double booked shore excursion.   Has HAL ever overbooked - double booked shore excursions?  You bet.   

We unfortunately have had the experience of being bumped from a Family Cabana, which I had booked over a year out from the cruise. About 30 prior to sailing, I received a call from our PCC apologizing for having to bump us to a regular cabana because someone (very important) with a lot of time with HAL (read lots of money over the years) demanded it. My reaction was disappointment as we were traveling with friends and the larger cabana would have been convenient. In the grand scheme of things however it had little impact on our cruise. All four of us were permitted to use the cabana and we had access to all the perks afforded, especially the amazing stewards.  I'm not sure there was any substantial compensation, possibly some OBC. The experience left me with the knowledge that notwithstanding our 26 cruises with HAL, our value to them is less than those of others. I refuse to stress over that and merely take it into account as part of my cruising experience.

We love the cabanas and will continue to take advantage of them.

As to the original post, you truly have my sympathy because you should not have been treated in that manner.  I hope you receive acceptable answers and compensation, and are able to enjoy your cruise. We really have so little time to enjoy ourselves these days.  Best of luck.

• Like 4

Well for (at least) the second week in a row this HAL forum had a posting by someone who on the first day of their cruise had an issue with a cabana rental and posted about it on here. Both presented a detailed original post about the problem and went on to respond to comments and suggestions in a few follow-ups. Both talked of things that HAL offered to rectify the problem and both talked of  meetings that they were trying to schedule to get more of a response. Then both posters VANISHED after a few hours. Meanwhile the discord continues on here for a day or two and nothing comes of it accept a reminder of the disconnect between HAL and some of its customers both old and new that most of us know exists already.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 6:58 PM, iceman93 said:

That's not exactly what I suggested, but I would counter that it is helpful advice anyway (and advice can be either taken or ignored, so no need to be snippy).  You are now allowing this one thing to ruin your entire vacation.  That's your choice--it's your money and time with your family.  But it is what it is, and pouting or stewing (or complaining on CC) isn't going to change anything.  So you can accept it and make the best of the situation, trying to salvage some semblance of a good time, or just focus on the issue and be miserable.  It is 100% your choice.

I just said it wasn't helpful in this situation.

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

To many armchair quarterbacks here.

Why present your case to the jury then knowing that we are unlikely able to change the outcome. The best we can do is advise and console unless they think that there is some VIP on here that can step in and solve the issue?

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:43 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don't love comments like this.  Would you like if you booked a neptune suite or above and then hal told you here is this lovely inside room but don't let it ruin your vacation?  It would absolutely ruin mine.  I'm sure you could still have a lovely vacation in that inside room!

Considering that lots of people back home right now have no power, I would simply be grateful to be on vacation.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Why present your case to the jury then knowing that we are unlikely able to change the outcome. The best we can do is advise and console unless they think that there is some VIP on here that can step in and solve the issue?

My point being is everyone can and should express their opinions but unless the poster comes back with how HAL either provided or failed to provide a resolution all we will ever be doing is armchair quarterbacking. 

14 minutes ago, Laminator said:

My point being is everyone can and should express their opinions but unless the poster comes back with how HAL either provided or failed to provide a resolution all we will ever be doing is armchair quarterbacking. 

Isn't this a major function of CC?

• Haha 1

I always read of these overly dramatic plight’s on here, then original posters always leaves us hanging. The guy last week with the loud stereo next to him, who was typing with one hand and calling food and beverage dept for a meeting with the other.

Does anyone remember the guy in March that missed the ship by three hours, then drove to Key West from Fort Lauderdale, rented a room, then was supposed to get on ship but inclement weather forced the ship to skip Key West. Phone calls, meetings, but yet we never hear anything.

who knows maybe they’re just blending into life on Jupiter Island in the house HAL has bought for them?

• Haha 4