Live-Prima 12/30

molemaui

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

molemaui was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

First day was pretty good. Enjoyed the afternoon exploring the ship and drinking at the various bars. (Not a big deal but you are taxed for drinks when ship is at Port Canaveral. Saw some minor charges that made no sense. That was the explanation from the Haven concierge.) Indulge Food Hall was quite interesting and very crowded even at 4:00. Loved the muster procedures-video at check in and simply report to your muster station to be checked off. You also have to watch a 15 minute video at some point in your cabin in order to be able to use your tv. 

Dinner at Haven Restaurant was outstanding. We both had prime rib perfectly prepared ( her-blue, me-medium rare). Restaurant is totally flexible. On the menu as an entree, I also ordered crab cakes as an appetizer. Probably the best crab cake I’ve had on a ship and equal to most I’ve had anywhere outside of Baltimore. Full pieces of lump crab. Also enjoyed a bottle of Pommery Rose Champagne. 

After dinner we were intending to go to the comedy show but saw no line at Syd Norman’s. True, it was an hour before the band came on but you could go in and drink until then. We heard so much about great the band was here we decided to skip the show in favor of Syd’s.  Band was over the top fantastic and has me rethinking my opposition to standing in lines. We will definitely come back here! Place was packed standing room only during the show. 

Nitecap at the Haven bar and then bed. Super comfortable and had a great nights sleep. Really like our cabin which is the smallest one offered in the Haven but more than enough for us. 

Like many, I was concerned about the negative reviews of the Prima. Yes, it’s different but I really like her so far. Just here to enjoy better weather than from where I’m from and relax. 

To be continued……..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, molemaui said:

Really like our cabin which is the smallest one offered in the Haven but more than enough for us. 

Just booked her for 2024. Sounds like we have the same cabin type. She looks like a beautiful ship. Have a great time!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, molemaui said:

First day was pretty good. Enjoyed the afternoon exploring the ship and drinking at the various bars. (Not a big deal but you are taxed for drinks when ship is at Port Canaveral. Saw some minor charges that made no sense. That was the explanation from the Haven concierge.) Indulge Food Hall was quite interesting and very crowded even at 4:00. Loved the muster procedures-video at check in and simply report to your muster station to be checked off. You also have to watch a 15 minute video at some point in your cabin in order to be able to use your tv. 

Dinner at Haven Restaurant was outstanding. We both had prime rib perfectly prepared ( her-blue, me-medium rare). Restaurant is totally flexible. On the menu as an entree, I also ordered crab cakes as an appetizer. Probably the best crab cake I’ve had on a ship and equal to most I’ve had anywhere outside of Baltimore. Full pieces of lump crab. Also enjoyed a bottle of Pommery Rose Champagne. 

After dinner we were intending to go to the comedy show but saw no line at Syd Norman’s. True, it was an hour before the band came on but you could go in and drink until then. We heard so much about great the band was here we decided to skip the show in favor of Syd’s.  Band was over the top fantastic and has me rethinking my opposition to standing in lines. We will definitely come back here! Place was packed standing room only during the show. 

Nitecap at the Haven bar and then bed. Super comfortable and had a great nights sleep. Really like our cabin which is the smallest one offered in the Haven but more than enough for us. 

Like many, I was concerned about the negative reviews of the Prima. Yes, it’s different but I really like her so far. Just here to enjoy better weather than from where I’m from and relax. 

To be continued……..

Great info, many thanks! Scheduled to go in February and love to know about comedians, live music, Zumba, line dancing and theme parties? Any information would be great. Thanks 

We just booked Prima for April as we really want to sail her & we LOVE Syds--we are in line an hour early every night! (they will line up earlier each night). On Getaway they wouldn't let you in until 30 min. prior. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 9:08 AM, molemaui said:

My understanding is that those who are Haven guests are allowed to enter Syd's early. When we sailed in April, we stood in line for 45 minutes and noticed there were folks inside already seated in the best seats. Not complaining, Haven comes at premium pricing, just noting my observation, either way, well worth the wait.

I was on the initial transAtlantic, and I loved the Prima's potential, but really thought it is designed more for warm weather cruises than the north Atlantic. I had purchased the thermal spa pass. The cold weather destinations mean thermal spa is the only warm pool, but onboard found out there were no jets in the water features.

If anyone knows if they are working id love to know - i wont be booking Prima class ships if there are no jets in those spa pool features.

2 hours ago, Beer Belly said:

My understanding is that those who are Haven guests are allowed to enter Syd's early. When we sailed in April, we stood in line for 45 minutes and noticed there were folks inside already seated in the best seats. Not complaining, Haven comes at premium pricing, just noting my observation, either way, well worth the wait.

Not on the Prima. Mgt. put a stop to that a few weeks ago due to the extremely small size of the venue. I’m told Syd’s is a bit larger on other ships but I do not know that for sure. 

I agree-worth the wait. 

• Like 1

You also have to watch a 15 minute video at some point in your cabin in order to be able to use your tv.

What's this all about, is it new, is it fleet wide, or part of the muster drill in some way?

12 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

What's this all about, is it new, is it fleet wide, or part of the muster drill in some way?

Don’t know. First time on NCL but did experience the same on oceania

• Like 1

On prime as well we lost an engine last night and  are now going to miss our stop in Belize.. Captain said at 9 am  they are working on it but no further updates… what was strange is we were told earlier last night it was possible that we  could miss Belize because of weather so I think they had been having issues since we left Cozumel yesterday 

2B9A51C8-3F94-42A1-B017-60BDE69DA586.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

You also have to watch a 15 minute video at some point in your cabin in order to be able to use your tv.

Fleet-wide as far as I can tell, as I've experienced it on two other ships.  Part of the revamped muster drill.  (BTW, you don't technically have to watch it, but keep it on in the background while you are unpacking and just let it play out...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davechipp74 said:

I did it in July on Bliss and December on Joy, so I'm assuming it's fleet wide. I just let the video run while I was unpacking. 

As I continue to explore this ship, I like it more and more. There are a variety of bars and restaurants along with what seems like a thousand nooks and crannies to sit, relax, drink and watch the world go by. (Spoiler alert-have no interest in go carts or the water slides)

Day 2 was a sea day and we thoroughly enjoyed the Haven pool and sun deck. On a Caribbean cruise, all we want to do is lay out, swim and perhaps drink.  Had dinner at Cagney’s. Food service was great but wasn’t real impressed with the noise level or the feeling you were in one big dining hall. Went to the 18+ comedy show (pretty good) and then decided due to a full day of sun and drink, we probably weren’t going to make it to midnight for New Year’s Eve. We didn’t!  Slept like a rock again. Beds are super comfortable. 

Next day we docked in Cozumel. Went off ship for 15 minutes to buy “grandkid stuff” and back on ship. Heard the Indulge Food Hall was pretty crowded so thought a port day would be a good time to try it. I loved it!  Variety of options with reasonable portion sizes is a winner in my book. We tried a few different things and will be back next port day. 

To answer comments/complaints on menus that don’t change-I found I really like this. Too many times I’d have a specialty dinner booked only to learn rack of lamb or filet mignon or some other favorite was in the dining room and I was going to miss it. Or-if you really liked something, you can have it again. Haven menu is strong enough for 8-12 days. Perhaps not for a longer cruise. 

Cancelled theater reservations to back to Syd Norman’s. YES, it is that good. 

Day 4. Supposed to dock In Belize today but ship “broke down “ during the night. We were barely crawling along when I woke up today. Seems like they’re working on it “remotely” and the captain announced we would name our next port tomorrow but today would be an additional sea day. Didn’t really bother us-love sea days. 

Internet comment-upgraded to unlimited but not streaming. It isn’t the best but works pretty well. Been able to send and receive pictures, videos, etc. 

it’s about 1:00 ship time right now and we’re still not moving. It’s nice at the pool so we will stay here for the afternoon. Le Bistro and more Syd Norman’s tonight. 

more to come………

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldbullion1212 said:

On prime as well we lost an engine last night and  are now going to miss our stop in Belize.. Captain said at 9 am  they are working on it but no further updates… what was strange is we were told earlier last night it was possible that we  could miss Belize because of weather so I think they had been having issues since we left Cozumel yesterday 

2B9A51C8-3F94-42A1-B017-60BDE69DA586.jpeg

Uh oh…She is a new ship! 😳

• Like 1

My son and dil are also on the ship now. They are so disappointed to miss Harvest Cay but that is just one of numerous issues. They have mentioned that slides are either not working or are closed, there's a broken staircase, only about 30% of one of the Escape Rooms is working and someone "stole" the key to another one and there's no backup key, lots of the statues in there are broken. Overall it is definitely not what they were expecting and my son has been on close to 20 NCL cruises. They were looking forward to the "new" ship but it's overall in the worst shape of any ship they've been on over the years. They did say the food is great and the ship is beautiful, just many things ate already broken or not working.

To be continued……..

I don't understand about the tax on the drinks, is this even with the drink package?? I also wanted to ask did you leave from Port Canaveral, if you did what terminal did you leave from 5 or 10? I'm a bit confused as to which one we leave from, we are going on Jan. 15

Enjoy your cruise, hope engine gets repaired soon.

13 minutes ago, vacation65 said:

I don't understand about the tax on the drinks, is this even with the drink package?? I also wanted to ask did you leave from Port Canaveral, if you did what terminal did you leave from 5 or 10? I'm a bit confused as to which one we leave from, we are going on Jan. 15

Enjoy your cruise, hope engine gets repaired soon.

You're still in the US/Florida until your ship is 3 miles out to sea. 

• Like 1