A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

I'm now gathering the recipes for the special meals we will request on the upcoming cruises.  First up is Coctel de Camarones .

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228393/authentic-mexican-shrimp-cocktail-coctel-de-camarones-estilo-mexicano/

Capture.JPG.4a7b45dd6f5a6650ee7c4a8234ae9dbb.JPG

Ingredients
⅓ cup Spanish onion, chopped

¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice

1 pound chilled cooked medium shrimp - peeled, deveined, and tails removed

2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped

1 cucumber, finely chopped

1 stalk celery, finely chopped

1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 ½ cups chilled tomato and clam juice cocktail (such as Clamato®)

1 cup chilled ketchup (such as Heinz®)

1 bunch fresh cilantro - stems discarded and leaves chopped

2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Valentina®)

2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and chopped

Directions

Step 1 - Gather all ingredients.
Captureb.JPG.5e326150fdf8e5ab7051d9b9d6a1805f.JPG

Step 2 - Mix onion with lime juice in a small bowl and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

Step 3 - Meanwhile, toss shrimp, roma tomatoes, cucumber, celery, jalapeno, salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined.

Step 4 - Whisk tomato and clam juice cocktail, ketchup, cilantro, and hot pepper sauce in a separate bowl; stir dressing into shrimp mixture.  (And a shot of vodka) 🙂

Step 5 - Gently fold in avocados. Stir in onion mixture. Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 1 hour.

Capturec.JPG.326fd2ae9b52a0c2eca3373e51834e6b.JPG

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Being totally ignorant about world cruises - do you order this for a particular day in a particular restaurant, Mysty?  If so, how wonderful.

Silversea will make special request meals on any cruise.  You need to make special meal requests in advance.  It's best to make the request through your butler.  We have requested dishes from the Philippines prepared and served in our suite.  We have requested an Indian meal.  On our cruise last year we requested a Ukrainian meal by the Ukrainian Chef on the Pool Deck and we dined there.  For this upcoming cruise we will make requests for each segment.  Of course, this is all contingent on operations in the galley.  And it will depend on available ingredients.  I'm trying to pick the recipes that don't involve ingredients that would be difficult to find.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

How much were you prepared to pay?  I thought $60 was the going rate. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yes,  $60 was the going rate!  And I'm thrilled that the rate on the Shadow did not increase to the prohibitive price on Nova!  I was a tad concerned that it would.   Needless to say,  I would not have booked at the Nova price! 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Gotcha.  Thx for the explanation.

To be honest @Stumblefoot , I was quaking in my boots about the price.  I was up at midnight last night to make the reservation.   We had dined there for Valentines Day in 2019 and it was a special treat.  I wasn't sure what I would face last night and I was overjoyed that we could enjoy the experience again without having to sell our oldest child! 😅

• Haha 5

For the segment from San Francisco to Lautoka I am hoping to have Sapasui.  Here is the recipe I found.

https://travelfoodatlas.com/samoan-sapasui-chop-suey-recipe

"Sapasui is the version of chop suey enjoyed throughout the Pacific Islands in countries such as Samoa and Fiji. This authentic sapasui recipe uses chicken but beef or any other meat also works just fine."

prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 35 MINUTES

Ingredients
Vermicelli noodles - 250g
Chicken meat - 300g
Peanut oil - 2 tbsp
Large white onion - 1
Soy sauce - 1 cup
Carrots - 2
Grated ginger - 1 tbsp
Water - 1 cup
Chicken stock cube - 1
Pepper - to taste

Instructions
1. Heat your peanut oil in a pan and on a medium heat add crushed garlic, chopped onion and ginger.
2. Once the garlic starts to slightly brown, add your meat and carrots cut into matchsticks, and leave to cook.
3. In a separate pot cook your vermicelli noodles according to the instructions on the pack.
4. To the meat add your soy sauce, a cup of the noodle water and your stock cube, and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Once your noodles are cooked, snip them to around 5cm long and stir them in to the mix.
6. If needed, add more soy sauce and water in small doses to get your required consistency.
7. Add pepper to taste and serve.

dish-food-produce-meat-cuisine-asian-food-12212-pxhere.com-min-735x490.jpg.c47152e0c2721fd343205d1c23384082.jpg

Here is a video link.......https://youtu.be/CHyC1ZdJUxE

Accompaniments

https://goodfoodtoeat.com/recipe-for-chop-suey/#Serving_Suggestions_and_Accompaniments

White rice;
Samoan Chop Suey is a delicious and flavourful traditional dish that is usually served
as a side dish with rice. Rice helps to balance out the flavours in Samoan Chop Suey, while also providing an extra level of heartiness.

Potato Salad;
A good potato salad pairs well with this dish. Adding potato salad to the dish adds a unique flavour and texture to the meal. Its creamy and crunchy elements add an extra layer of flavour that compliments the savoury flavour of the chop suey perfectly.

Cold rice salad;
A side dish of cold rice salad is great alongside your chop suey. Cold rice salad is the perfect pairing with Chop Suey because it adds a cool, light and refreshing element to contrast the savoury and hearty flavours in the dish. The mild yet distinct taste of cold rice salad brings balance to this classic Samoan meal. 

90 second microwave bread;
Serve with this pancake style 90 second microwave bread. Chop Suey is a traditional dish that pairs beautifully with 90 second microwave bread. The fluffy and light texture of the bread adds a delicious contrast to the hearty and savoury flavour of the Sapasui. It is an ideal match for both flavour and texture plus it's also great for mopping up that sauce.

Samoan Coconut Rice;
Samoan coconut rice is an absolute staple side dish for Samoan Chop Suey and it’s a great way to add a pop of flavour to the dish. It’s made with coconut milk, jasmine rice and hints of turmeric and curry powder, so it makes for a nice yellow hue with a delicious flavour.

Cucumber Salad;

Cucumber salad is another classic side dish when it comes to Samoan cuisine and goes especially well with Samoan Chop Suey. It contains cucumbers, green onions, lemon juice, garlic salt and sugar for an added flavour kick in every bite. 

Baked Plantains/Plantain Fritters;
Baked plantains make for a sweet contrast when dining on savoury meals such as Samoan Chop Suey.  They go together in harmony like peaches & cream! Plus they are super easy to make. Just cut a few plantains into slices and place them onto parchment paper lined baking sheets then bake at 220°C (425°F) until browned (this should take roughly 20-30 minutes).

Coleslaw;
Coleslaw makes for another excellent side dish when having your Sapasui. It helps add some extra crunchiness due to its cabbage content plus its tangy taste also provides additional balance for this savoury meal too! All you have to do is mix shredded cabbage/carrots together in a bowl then add mayo or yoghurt based dressing and voila - you got yourself some tasty coleslaw!

Fruit Salad;
This dish is often served with a side of fruit salad for added sweetness and a pop of vibrant colour. The fruit salad's flavour helps to cut through the savoury flavours of the dish and its natural acidity helps to balance the overall flavour profile. Eating fruit helps provide additional sources of vitamins and minerals that may not be found in traditional Samoan Chop Suey ingredients, as well as dietary fibre for improved digestion.

Tropical Smoothie Bowl;
This addition will help end your dining experience on a sweet high note. Enjoy fresh fruits blended together in creamy smoothies accompanied by crunchy toppings such as granola and coconut flakes. Due to how filling these smoothie bowls are their desired reputation as “meal replacement” options are quite deserved!

Toast points;
Toast points, which are slices of toast cut into triangle shapes, are a popular side dish for Samoan Chop Suey. They provide a crunchy texture and soak up the sauce from the dish, making them an ideal accompaniment to this savoury one-pot meal.

• Like 3

Hey Mysty, are you going to ask Shadow's chef to make Sapa-chewy for you? 

Or do you plan to chow down on their chop suey at a specific restaurant in Samoa?  

Might it be a kitchen at that Samoan port crazy market where they play Tammy Wynette nonstop? If yes, be sure to specify NO chicken & substitute Spam for local Flavor Flav! Spam is their national dish.

Sounds mmm mmmm Good!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wristband said:

Hey Mysty, are you going to ask Shadow's chef to make Sapa-chewy for you? 

Or do you plan to chow down on their chop suey at a specific restaurant in Samoa?  

Might it be a kitchen at that Samoan port crazy market where they play Tammy Wynette nonstop? If yes, be sure to specify NO chicken & substitute Spam for local Flavor Flav! Spam is their national dish.

Sounds mmm mmmm Good!

My intention is to ask the Executive Chef to find a willing chef to make it for us.  We'll see how this plays out.  😅  This would be our first time in the area.  I have no problem dining locally.  If something interesting presents we'll investigate.  I just like the idea of challenging the galley.  😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoGay said:

We received ours as well.

Awesome!  To be honest,  I was very concerned about applying via smart phone.  I'm not adept with this piece of technology.   I was actually surprised that my ham-fisted efforts resulted in a Visa Granted.   Australia must have made allowances for inept smart phone users like me! 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, mysty said:

Awesome!  To be honest,  I was very concerned about applying via smart phone.  I'm not adept with this piece of technology.   I was actually surprised that my ham-fisted efforts resulted in a Visa Granted.   Australia must have made allowances for inept smart phone users like me! 😁

That's because there are a lot of us travelling Aussies whose smart phones are just to smart to use properly.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, drron29 said:

That's because there are a lot of us travelling Aussies whose smart phones are just to smart to use properly.😉

Thank you @drron29 !  I was convinced as I struggled with the app that the response would be...."Please give it to your 12 year old child to handle it because you are inept!" 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For the segment from Lautoka to Sydney I will ask for Crayfish.  I found this recipe.

https://mouthsofmums.com.au/recipe/crayfish-mornay/   by mle00

Crayfish-Mornay-Recipe-Main-Image-750x516.jpg.c972b6e7343ad256e2a774be9b4951af.jpg

Photo by mle00

SERVES 4
30 MINUTES 
DIFFICULTY EASY 
9 INGREDIENTS

Ingredients (serves 4)

1 cup Grated cheese
80g Butter
1/2 cup Self Raising flour
2 tsp Minced garlic
3 cups Milk
1 Diced onion
1 Clove of garlic diced
1 Crayfish meat
1 Salt, pepper & lemon to season

Method
1. In a pot of boiling salt water add a green crayfish and cook for 8 minutes of until flesh is firm (don't overcook!)
2. In a saucepan melt butter and add flour, stir until crumbly
3. Add milk gradually continuously stirring, add grated cheese and minced garlic, turn off heat when desired consistency is reached.
4. Fry diced onion and garlic until clear, add in shredded crayfish meat and season to taste. Transfer into cheese sauce and pour into fray shell, bake under a hot grill for approximately 6 minutes or until golden, serve with lemon!

• Like 3

For the Sydney to Bali segment I am planning on asking for Nasi Campur Bali.  I found this recipe.

https://www.slurrp.com/recipes/nasi-campur-bali-1623091151

"Nasi Campur Bali is a traditional Indonesian dish that showcases the vibrant flavors and spices of Balinese cuisine. It is a mixed rice dish that typically includes a variety of side dishes, such as grilled meats, vegetables, sambal (chili sauce), and fried tempeh. The rice is often flavored with aromatic ingredients like lemongrass, turmeric, and kaffir lime leaves. Nasi Campur Bali is a delicious and satisfying meal that offers a taste of the diverse flavors of Bali."

Capture.JPG.e7e78d99508aeb50fe237c96c629b521.JPG

Ingredients For Nasi Campur Bali Recipe
2 cup Cooked Rice
1 stalk Lemongrass, Bruised
1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2 Kaffir Lime Leaves
as needed Grilled Meats
as per your need Sambal
as per your need Fried Tempeh
as needed Assorted Vegetables
as needed Lime Wedges

Directions: Nasi Campur Bali Recipe

STEP 1.
Cook the rice with lemongrass, turmeric, and kaffir lime leaves for added flavor.

STEP 2.
Grill or cook your choice of meats, such as chicken, pork, or fish.

STEP 3.
Prepare a variety of side dishes, such as sambal, fried tempeh, and vegetables.

STEP 4.
Arrange the rice and side dishes on a plate.

STEP 5.
Serve the Nasi Campur Bali with additional sambal and lime wedges.

Cooking Tips
Marinate the meats with Balinese spices for extra flavor.
Use fresh and high-quality ingredients for the best taste.
Adjust the spiciness of the sambal according to your preference.

Serve the dish with additional condiments like pickles or fried shallots.
Garnish with fresh herbs, such as cilantro or basil, for added freshness.

nasi-campur-bali-1623091151_7ECC3TAEVKODNH307GZ1.jpg.013f2e955d62e8bec0564794114429ff.jpg

• Like 3

For the segment from Bali to Hong Kong  I will request Sarawak Laska.  I found this recipe.

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/sarawak-laksa/

"Sarawak Laksa is a comforting Malaysian noodle soup that is spicy, bright, warming, and full of flavour.  Laksa is a spicy, curry or coconut-based noodle soup that originated from the Peranakans, who are of mixed Chinese-Malay heritage...Chinese men would set out onto the spice trade route and settle in their new villages, marrying the local Malay women. The result was a blending together of Chinese and Malay heritage."

Capture.JPG.0676a6c3c98115c6d396febdd65288cb.JPG

The foundation of laksa is the paste on which the soup is built. Laksa paste is where all that robust flavour is developed.

The key ingredients in laksa may sound intimidating, but they can be found at specialty Asian supermarkets.

My Mom’s version of Sarawak laksa contains:

Thai chilies
Shallots
Fresh lemongrass
Ginger
Galangal, also known as blue ginger (which is similar to ginger — if you’re unable to find it, substitute with ginger)
Tamarind pulp, which has a sweet and sour taste. (If you can’t find tamarind, try using brown sugar and lime juice instead to give an acidic and sweet tone to the laksa soup).

This laksa paste is blended all together in a food processor and then cooked in a little oil over medium heat for close to 40 minutes. That’s where all that delicious flavour comes through.

Ingredients

Laksa Paste
5  small red thai chilies, stems removed
4 shallots or 1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh galangal (blue ginger), chopped (or more fresh ginger)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 stalks lemongrass, cut into large chunks
6 macadamia nuts (or a handful of cashew nuts)
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp tamarind paste*
¾ C warm water
2 Tbsp canola oil (or vegetable oil)
1 Tbsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar), packed
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp coarse sea salt

For The Laksa Soup
4 C chicken broth
1 (13.5oz) can coconut milk

Toppings
1 package rice vermicelli noodles, cooked and drained
2 seasoned chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
12 large shrimp, boiled and sliced in half
4 eggs, scrambled and fried omelet-style, cut into thin strips
1 pkg tofu puffs, boiled and drained
1 cucumber, julienned
1 pkg bean sprouts, washed and lightly cooked with hot boiled water
2 limes, cut into wedges
laksa leaves (ram rau), cut into thin strips (or fresh cilantro leaves, chopped)

Instructions
Make The Laksa Paste
1. In a food processor, combine all the red thai chili, shallots, ginger, galangal, garlic,
lemongrass, macadamia nuts, coriander, cumin, tamarind paste, water, and canola oil. Pulse
until a smooth paste is formed.
2. Transfer the pureed paste into a large pot and cook over medium heat for about 30-40
minutes, stirring intermittently.
3. Add in the sugar, curry powder, paprika, and salt, and stir for another 5 minutes.
4. If not using the paste right away, let the laksa paste completely cool and store in an airtight
container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or freezer for up to 6 months.

Make the Laska Soup
1. If ready to make the laksa soup, add in 4 C of chicken broth and 1 can coconut milk to the
laksa paste. Stir and bring to a simmer. If the consistency of the soup is a little too thick, add a
little more chicken broth or water. Keep the soup warm.

Assemble the Laksa
1. Place the rice vermicelli noodles into a serving bowl. Top with shredded chicken, shrimp, egg,
tofu puffs, cucumber, and bean sprouts.
2. Add the hot soup over top of the noodles.
3. Squeeze some lime juice over top and garnish with laksa leaves.
4. Serve immediately.

Notes
*Tamarind paste can be difficult to find in some grocery stores. Look in Asian grocery stores or
World Market.
If you can’t find tamarind paste, you can substitute 1 ½ Tbsp fresh lime juice, 1 ½ Tbsp water,
and 1 tsp brown sugar, mixed well, for the 3 Tbsp tamarind paste called for in this recipe.

Sarawak-Laksa-Noodle-Soup-With-Tamarind-1376.jpg.14af7dc8fd58ab46083a83578d6c5016.jpg

• Like 3

The hotel where we will stay for 2 nights in Bridgetown prior to embarking on the cruise from Bridgetown to San Francisco has appeared on mysilversea.  It is Sam Lord's Castle.  This hotel has just barely opened.  It sounds wonderful.  However it seems to be about an hour away from the cruise terminal.

https://www.slcwyndham.com/

SamLordsCastlesm.jpg.5a64222b46d7f2345a4498961a8810c1.jpg

• Like 1