Casting Call for Syd Normans

laudergayle

34 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Wait they have Jersey Boys? What ships is that on? Also Choir of Man which ships is that on these days?

As I recall Choir of Man was on Escape in January.  We did not see it since we planned to do to the last show and it got cancelled.

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

The performers are on a contract. They turn every 6 months with some rehearsal on land before deploying to the ship. So,,, you should see a casting call most of the time, based on the number of ships. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Wait they have Jersey Boys? What ships is that on? Also Choir of Man which ships is that on these days?

We saw Jersey Boys and Six on the Bliss while we were sailing in Nov.  Choir of Man is listed on our show list on our upcoming March sailing in March.  🙂

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

The performers are on a contract. They turn every 6 months with some rehearsal on land before deploying to the ship. So,,, you should see a casting call most of the time, based on the number of ships. 

It’s too bad NCL can’t coordinate the cast changeover a little better. To remove a very popular and marquee location like Syd’s for several cruises while the new cast is hired/trained is unfortunate and not the best way to build brand loyalty. I suspect it’s money. They may not want to pay a shipboard cast and a new cast training on land, but I’m sailing for 12 days with one of the most popular venues closed while a new cast rehearses in Chicago. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MCMC100 said:

It’s too bad NCL can’t coordinate the cast changeover a little better. To remove a very popular and marquee location like Syd’s for several cruises while the new cast is hired/trained is unfortunate and not the best way to build brand loyalty. I suspect it’s money. They may not want to pay a shipboard cast and a new cast training on land, but I’m sailing for 12 days with one of the most popular venues closed while a new cast rehearses in Chicago. 

We’re in the same boat (pun intended). We’re sailing Epic in early February and Priscilla is no longer on that sailing.  I doubt they can replace quick enough…so we’ll be left with sub-par main theater entertainment.  However, while we feel cheated based on what we booked and what we get, it is not the main reason we chose this cruise.  Even if this cruise is one of the worst…we suspect the next one will be even better.  We call it the Redemption Cruise.  We’ve had a couple.  Cruise on😎

1 hour ago, MCMC100 said:

I wonder if I should bring my guitars on the 1-8-2022 Lol

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I wonder if I should bring my guitars on the 1-8-2022 Lol

Of course you should. There has to be an undiscovered Pat Benatar who can play piano on board somewhere and every guy over the age of 12 has played drums in a rock n roll band (at least in his own mind). Put you on the guitar accompanied with all that on Syd’s stage and I’m going to watch for at least three beers (five if you play anything by Def Lepard).

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

We’re in the same boat (pun intended). We’re sailing Epic in early February and Priscilla is no longer on that sailing.  I doubt they can replace quick enough…so we’ll be left with sub-par main theater entertainment.  However, while we feel cheated based on what we booked and what we get, it is not the main reason we chose this cruise.  Even if this cruise is one of the worst…we suspect the next one will be even better.  We call it the Redemption Cruise.  We’ve had a couple.  Cruise on😎

I think that there are a lot of unsubstantiated assertions here. Lately, when a show cancels, it is more like one or more of the cast has COVID and everyone is isolated until they test clean for 5 days. 

• Like 1

It is not covid! Too many missing listings etc, especially with the link for casting call on Jan 4 for syd entertainers.  There is a post where one of syds entertainers parents was going on cruise and the show was canceled indefinitely.  They have to know it has been a hit, with waiting lines to get in etc.  A casting call on Jan 4, I do not see the show returning right away, but I hope I am pleasently supprised.  I have a Feb 1 cruise and am upset if it does not return, my wife and I have talked about how we are looking forward to it.  I love to see live rock bands on any cruise and make sure to see them as much as reasonably possible.  Almost every cruise has atleast one, and loved by many.  I can remember before syds, they would have routine cover bands play there.  Why would NCL let it lapse, especially over xmas and NYE cruises, people are not happy.  Junk, the show in the specialty dining venue is gone, again my wife and I love to go to those as the other headline shows are not so great except "choir of men" which use to be in this venue until became very popular and moved to main theater.  I get it, inflation, covid, supply chain etc. have affected us all, but to remove things that attract customers baffles me.  They have raised room tips to highest in industry, cruise prices in category seem to be at or above pre covid(no real bargains) Taken away specialty dinings with free at sea, prices on the nickle and dime items are all up(such as thermal suite etc), one turn down a day from two.  It is so hard to swallow the increases and removal of services, when those happen it is very unlikely even in a positve turn of the economy to return to pre levels.  I know I am ranting but I love cruising or I did, and looked forward to such things as Syds etc.  In fact we cruised with NCL to get to Platinum and are shareholders, uggh.  Lets hope we get good news of quick return, I am not a fan of Karoke, as I cannot sing and nor can many others :} !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:
12 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Expand  

I think that there are a lot of unsubstantiated assertions here. Lately, when a show cancels, it is more like one or more of the cast has COVID and everyone is isolated until they test clean for 5 days. 

Hmmm. Not sure what is unsubstantiated here.  We booked Epic when Priscilla was in main theater—and we were looking forward to seeing a production we haven’t seen before.  As of a few weeks ago, Priscilla disappeared from the entertainment line-up.  Are you suggesting that Priscilla disappeared due to Covid? Is my feeling of being cheated unsubstantiated?  That would be for me to decide. Did I say this was going to be the worst cruise…no, I just said if it was we would continue to cruise.  I apologize in advance if I missed your point.

Nothing unsubstantiated.

A review of NCL.com reflects that Junk’d is no longer advertised as appearing on the Getaway. It is no longer listed as an item available for purchase ($29.99 pp) within my app for my 1/20 sailing on the Getaway. 

Syd Normans is no longer displayed as an entertainment venue or bar on the Getaway and Escape in NCL marketing or within my app. Passengers on the GA have reported limited entertainment and karaoke as the only entertainment in Syd’s. A posting of the GA daily for the current cruise confirmed karaoke night. 

On the Breakaway, Syd’s appears under the Bar and Lounges tab in the Explore Our Ships field, but not an entertainment venue (where it has been consistently advertised for at least the past 8 months).  

On the Prima it remains both an entertainment venue and a bar. 

20 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Have gone to Syd Norman’s every night. Cancelled theater reservations for tonight to go back to Syd’s. Some of the best entertainment I’ve seen on a ship. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, molemaui said:

Have gone to Syd Norman’s every night. Cancelled theater reservations for tonight to go back to Syd’s. Some of the best entertainment I’ve seen on a ship. 

On which ship?  It appears to only be fully operational on Prima. 

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Hmmm. Not sure what is unsubstantiated here.  We booked Epic when Priscilla was in main theater—and we were looking forward to seeing a production we haven’t seen before.  As of a few weeks ago, Priscilla disappeared from the entertainment line-up.  Are you suggesting that Priscilla disappeared due to Covid? Is my feeling of being cheated unsubstantiated?  That would be for me to decide. Did I say this was going to be the worst cruise…no, I just said if it was we would continue to cruise.  I apologize in advance if I missed your point.

Pricilla first appeared on the Epic in October 2015 after a major dry dock. We attended the opening show. The show was contracted for a 5 year run (planned to end in 2020). It got an extended life due to the pandemic and the inability to plan and install a new show. It’s time has come. You will have some wonderful entertainment while the next show gets installed. 

4 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Currently  on Breakaway and went to Syds show 2 nights ago.  They will be performing Rumors tonight!

Say hello to Hailee (the blond) from Kristin. (I just messaged her this week about the whole Syd's issue).

Syd's is no longer on the Breakaway entertainment list but their contract is thru June.