Tell me about The Ocean Terrace seafood bar (Discovery)

Dreamer333

The only think I can find on the Princess website about The Ocean Terrace seafood bar is below. 

Can you please share your experiences with me? Costs, food quality, times, etc? 

FROM THE PRINCESS WEBSITE: The Ocean Terrace seafood bar is ideal for those who love to feast on the bounty from the sea. This stylish bar offers an array of ocean treasures, including sushi and sashimi along with chilled sake, cocktails, and wine by the glass. A la carte pricing makes it easy to pick and choose. Additional charge applies. Menu items may vary by ship and are subject to change.

• Like 1

Sorry, we did not eat there when we did our Alaska sailing in August.  We walked past it several times and I always looked over at it...it might just be me but it *seemed* rather small (if I'm remembering correctly!)  If we'd had a bit longer sailing I'm sure we would have given it a shot.  Hope you get some good info from others.

There is a fairly recent post with postitive comments on Ocean Terrace in this thread reporting on a Sea of Cortez cruise on the Discovery Princess--Post #87 on Page 4.  It includes pictures of menus;

Live From Discovery New Year's Cruise 12/28 - 1/7/22 10 day Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera

My wife and I visited the Ocean Terrace on the Royal Princess in 2019.  It is a nice venue, and it does seem to fill up.  The menu was a bit different, then.  So, I can't offer you an meaningful informed opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreamer333 said:

The only think I can find on the Princess website about The Ocean Terrace seafood bar is below. 

Can you please share your experiences with me? Costs, food quality, times, etc? 

FROM THE PRINCESS WEBSITE: The Ocean Terrace seafood bar is ideal for those who love to feast on the bounty from the sea. This stylish bar offers an array of ocean treasures, including sushi and sashimi along with chilled sake, cocktails, and wine by the glass. A la carte pricing makes it easy to pick and choose. Additional charge applies. Menu items may vary by ship and are subject to change.

My wife loves the Ocean Terrace, and ate there twice on our last trip, on the Sky in November. She'll be going back when we're back on board in Feb. I don't eat bait, preferring my food cooked,  so I bring something up from the IC while she indulges her sushi addiction ;o) She says the Sushi is great, though I seem to remember the menu is a bit limited; what they did serve was excellent. The service was very attentive, though a bit slow as Princess seems to be understaffed everywhere these days. Well worth a visit if you like sushi

• Like 2

I managed to squeeze in a lunch at Ocean Terrance on Discovery this past November. 

And when I say "squeeze in", I literally mean the last available seat at the very end of the bar. It was packed throughout the cruise, or at least the times I walked by, so I jumped at the chance to try it out. Being à la carte pricing, I was surprised how consistently busy it stayed. 

Anyway, sushi was good. Not the best I've had (spoiled here in Los Angeles), but was happy with the rolls and other items I tried. Yes, it's a limited menu, but I'll go again - it's a nice change from the other options, especially during lunch. 

Oh, and like @lx200gps, service for me was also slow. There were only two servers during the time I was there and they tried their best. 

• Like 2

We were on the Discovery in April 2022 - ship was not full.  We ate at the Ocean Terrace 2 or 3 times.  My husband loves sushi, and I still found things on the menu that meet my needs.  The food is excellent and we would have lunch (only on sea days) or dinner and the cost was $15 - $20 total.

if you like sushi, give it a try.  I would give a five stars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tlc1972 said:

I managed to squeeze in a lunch at Ocean Terrance on Discovery this past November. 

And when I say "squeeze in", I literally mean the last available seat at the very end of the bar. It was packed throughout the cruise, or at least the times I walked by, so I jumped at the chance to try it out. Being à la carte pricing, I was surprised how consistently busy it stayed. 

Anyway, sushi was good. Not the best I've had (spoiled here in Los Angeles), but was happy with the rolls and other items I tried. Yes, it's a limited menu, but I'll go again - it's a nice change from the other options, especially during lunch. 

Oh, and like @lx200gps, service for me was also slow. There were only two servers during the time I was there and they tried their best. 

IIRC, when my wife ate there in November, there was only one server on duty at the time. She was a lovely lady and very attentive, but was running ragged, even having to run to a nearby bar to bring drink orders in addition to serving, clearing tables etc.

On 1/3/2023 at 3:17 PM, roxievegas said:

We were on the Discovery in April 2022 - ship was not full.  We ate at the Ocean Terrace 2 or 3 times.  My husband loves sushi, and I still found things on the menu that meet my needs.  The food is excellent and we would have lunch (only on sea days) or dinner and the cost was $15 - $20 total.

if you like sushi, give it a try.  I would give a five stars.

Thanks for the info. Did you have to make reservations?

On 1/3/2023 at 3:30 PM, LACruiser88 said:

We are currently on the Discovery and had lunch at the Seafood bar a few days ago.  It was really good for cruise ship sushi and we will have lunch there again on Thursday.

20221229_123830.jpg

20221229_125826.jpg

20221229_125836.jpg

20221229_124338.jpg

This is great, thanks! Did you need to make reservations? 

Edited by Dreamer333
  • Like 2

I ordered some sushi on the Sky Princess last week. It was barely grocery store quality. The fish was not fresh and the rice was not cooked properly. I imagine the quality can vary tremendously based on the quality of the seafood they receive and whether the staff making the rice actually know how to make proper sushi rice but Ocean Terrace was a miss for me. 

The sashimi in the pictures that LACruiser88 posted definitely looks like much better fish than what was just on the Sky. The seafood case is also much more full than what was on the Sky.