Ocean Cay - (non YC) recommendations, dining?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Hey - I'm curious, we'll be there from 8am until noon the next day...

Are the cabana's worthwhile, and recommendations of things not to miss there? Are there any places to enjoy a nice lunch/dinner? Are any of those dining options at an extra charge (probably preferred on my part).

THANKS,

Tom

We were there twice.  We saw food trucks here and there around the island, with burgers, veg burgers, sides, brownies, etc.  There was also a buffet around midday, which I'm sure had a much greater variety of foods.  No charge for either option.  We went back to the ship both times, to change out of our bathing suits and eat on the ship. We did not rent a cabana or any other paid amenity.  Had a wonderful time there.

• Like 5

I recommend eating at a food truck as the line at the buffet moves very slowly. It is organized in such a way that everyone had to go  through every part of the line. The food wasn’t good enough for it to be worth the long wait. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Hey - I'm curious, we'll be there from 8am until noon the next day...

Are the cabana's worthwhile, and recommendations of things not to miss there? Are there any places to enjoy a nice lunch/dinner? Are any of those dining options at an extra charge (probably preferred on my part).

THANKS,

Tom

Your choices on OC if not in the YC is the buffet or the food trucks. All the food trucks are the same and serve hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and a brownie I believe. We have never had a problem with the buffet in 3 visits but last time there was in March. Will let you know in 2 weeks.

The buffet has ribs, fish, hamburgers, hot dogs, cold salads, baked beans, jerk chicken, etc. You could always go back to the ship since it is right there but only the buffet is open when at OC. 

The cabanas to me are over priced. They always look dirty. They come with cold water, towels and a floating mat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

In summary, both, food trucks and buffet, offer junk food only - is that correct?

Or are there any other options?

I guess it depends on what you consider junk food.  The buffet has salads in the first stand alone section.  They have some “traditional” Bahamian food - jerk chicken, ribs, rice & beans, plantains, etc. - at the end of the buffet line. Many miss it is usually on the end in a short section that is perpendicular to the main buffet line.  I have been to Ocean Cay 3 times and thought the Bahamian food was good each time. Get to the buffet when it opens at 11:00 for less of a wait. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

In summary, both, food trucks and buffet, offer junk food only - is that correct?

As the prior poster said the buffet has fresh fruits, various salads, jerk chicken, etc.  There are veggie burgers at the trucks which while not "healthy" are vegetarian. Depends on what you call junk food.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

Here is a link to a video that was posted 5 days ago on youtube for the buffet at Ocean Cay.  He pretty much shows what it is like and does a review.  They did wait in line for 45 minutes but they were the last ones in line and it closed after they went through. Like others said, get there early if you don't want to wait in line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Seafood Shack.  I've not been to it since we have always been in YC, but some people have reviewed it positively about the seafood quality.

image.thumb.png.75e84dc2a5680d2a014567b54e2ecc98.png

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Seafood Shack.  I've not been to it since we have always been in YC, but some people have reviewed it positively about the seafood quality.

image.thumb.png.75e84dc2a5680d2a014567b54e2ecc98.png

I forgot about that! But then again we don't go to South Beach.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Good info  🙂

I'm guessing that their research showed that there would not be a market for a nicely located/over water restaurant with table service ($). But, personally, I'd love something like that there. Give me a reason to wander around a small island (living in Florida already)!

Tom

14 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Good info  🙂

I'm guessing that their research showed that there would not be a market for a nicely located/over water restaurant with table service ($). But, personally, I'd love something like that there. Give me a reason to wander around a small island (living in Florida already)!

Tom

They have that... at the Ocean House 🙂  (for the Yacht Club).  But seriously, managing a restaurant out there is incredibly difficult as all foods needed to be carted off in the morning and hauled back again at end of day.  

4 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

They have that... at the Ocean House 🙂  (for the Yacht Club).  But seriously, managing a restaurant out there is incredibly difficult as all foods needed to be carted off in the morning and hauled back again at end of day.  

Yep - makes sense. If I want something special, just pay upfront for it. If I cruise MSC after this first trial run, we'll likely go the YC route.

Don't they have ships coming there most days of the week? I'm surprised that they don't keep food stocked on the island, if indeed that's the case.

But, then again, I've never tried to run/manage island logistics !

Tom

We have been to OC once, with YC.  My opinion is that next time (February '23), I'm getting back to the ship, dressing back up and going to the YC dining room.  I was not impressed by the food at the YC section of OC in October '22 (just fancy  but bready hot dogs and salad) and the wine ran out; the remaining white wine was (1) warm (2) silly sweet; and (3) not recommended / laughed at by staff.

Edited by Zephyr173
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I forgot about that! But then again we don't go to South Beach.

We're ready for a B2B like we had with you back in Feb-March last year!  One week isn't enough

11 hours ago, Zephyr173 said:

We have been to OC once, with YC.  My opinion is that next time (February '23), I'm getting back to the ship, dressing back up and going to the YC dining room.  I was not impressed by the food at the YC section of OC in October '22 (just fancy  but bready hot dogs and salad) and the wine ran out; the remaining white wine was (1) warm (2) silly sweet; and (3) not recommended / laughed at by staff.

Not sure where you ate, but it was not the YC restaurant.  No hot dog on the menu!  Menu has crab ceviche, octopus and salad as starters, and entrees are Lobster rolls, Mahimahi, Skirt steak, penne pasta, and a regular or portabello burger when we were there in October.  Also, if you planned on going back to the YC dining room for lunch, it is closed on Ocean Cay day.  The Top Sail Grill is open, though.

Edited by JAGR

Thé menu on thé specific day we were there was nowhere near as nice as what you describe, Jagr.   And yes, we were in the YC section, and we’re waited on by YC staff.  Perhaps because we were on the next to last day of a TA, they could have been short on the nice stuff such as octopus, crab ceviche and mani-mahi ?  Or maybe just our fault, as we went for lunch rather at the tail end of service ?

On 1/8/2023 at 11:01 AM, Zephyr173 said:

Thé menu on thé specific day we were there was nowhere near as nice as what you describe, Jagr.   And yes, we were in the YC section, and we’re waited on by YC staff.  Perhaps because we were on the next to last day of a TA, they could have been short on the nice stuff such as octopus, crab ceviche and mani-mahi ?  Or maybe just our fault, as we went for lunch rather at the tail end of service ?

Wow that’s too bad