Do you Feel X is Cheapening their Product

mcrcruiser

4 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

😂 some things people can get upset about. If you asked for a drink on the rocks where I live you’d get a blank look too! Not everyone speaks American you know, us English would politely say “with ice please”.

Really?  I've been to several Countries in my day (except England strangely enough), and I've never been misunderstood. I thought "on the rocks" was a generic bar thing taught the world over.  Who knew? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Dear Lisa,

Please disregard the billions in crippling shutdown debt, labor shortage, and surging cost of all goods. I booked this trip specifically to eat all of the expensive lobster I wanted. I refuse to pay for it as you specifically advertise it no where. If you do not immediately change back, I will be taking my business to the numerous free lobster options. My loyalty is far more important than being financially solvent.

Signed, your best customer

😂   😂   😂  Best laugh I've had in a long while!!

1 minute ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Really?  I've been to several Countries in my day (except England strangely enough), and I've never been misunderstood. I thought "on the rocks" was a generic bar thing taught the world over.  Who knew? 

On the rocks is well understood in England, but in my experience rarely used. With an English accent it comes across as slightly pretentious which would result in the blank look, a look saying why are you trying to talk like an American. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

On the rocks is well understood in England, but in my experience rarely used. With an English accent it comes across as slightly pretentious which would result in the blank look, a look saying why are you trying to talk like an American. 

Actually, I rarely say "on the rocks" either, I mostly say "Vodka rocks", which is correct, with or without the comma after "vodka". 

5 hours ago, D C said:

I really wonder about demand when it comes to Celebrity.   They're still sailing with partially-filled ships, aren't they?   60-75%?  I didn't think X has had a full ship except for the holidays. 

On Princess right now and this thing is pert near full.   Downright crowded compared to my Thanksgiving Celebrity sailing.   Either Princess is doing a lot of things right, or X is doing them wrong. I'm guessing that small, fully refundable deposits are working in their favor as X has migrated to requiring quite a bit more as non-refundable. 

How is the MDR food on Princess?

Do they have any premium cuts of fish or meat?  Or is it tilapia, sirloin, and turkey like X?

2 hours ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

Actually, I rarely say "on the rocks" either, I mostly say "Vodka rocks", which is correct, with or without the comma after "vodka". 

Regardless - try this in Italy - and they would think you are just another crazy American.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

please pass the Grey Poupon, which I rarely say either, I much prefer, ya got any mustard?

So I started exploring other lines to look at their MDR menus and to see if they had the drastic cuts that X did.

Nope.  Princess MDR menus look similar to before.  No tilapia or turkey and more choices and variety.  

Edited by NMTraveller

17 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Dear Lisa,

Please disregard the billions in crippling shutdown debt, labor shortage, and surging cost of all goods. I booked this trip specifically to eat all of the expensive lobster I wanted. I refuse to pay for it as you specifically advertise it no where. If you do not immediately change back, I will be taking my business to the numerous free lobster options. My loyalty is far more important than being financially solvent.

Signed, your best customer

Or... I will take my business to the company that best suits my expectations and desires at a price-point that is likewise suitable. 

Unfortunately for Lisa and her annual bonus, that company is no longer Celebrity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/7/2023 at 9:32 AM, phoenix_dream said:

Sail on an S or M class ship, especially one not yet revolutionized and then report back again.  IMHO E class ships have been getting the best of everything since they were introduced.  They hand picked the best staff (not that I don't love ALL the X staff), I can't prove it but it feels to me that the staff to passenger ratio is a bit higher (at least at this time), they send all the best live entertainment there, they developed fabulous new shows while the shows on M and S class have been the same for a decade or more, they of course are all new so are in fabulous shape while revolutionizing of other ships have been put on hold, and the list goes on.

Does this mean I don't love Celebrity?  In fact I do and have been loyal for years.  But having sailed all classes, including many since re-start, I can tell you that the experience on E class is not the same as on the other classes.

The E class ships are getting some of the S Class European cruise itineraries too!  Due to Covid in 2020, our Silhouette cruise was cancelled.  We rescheduled for 2021 and only UK passengers allowed on a UK ports only cruise.  In 2022 the itinerary had been changed.  2023 is the last year a Solstice class ship will get to dock in LeHarve, France.  We have no desire to cruise on an E class ship, preferring S class ships.  So much for our dream of visiting Normandy and the WWII beaches, American cemetery and museum.  We are just too old to change and are happy for those enjoying the E class, but we just like our S class and the itineraries they USED to have.

• Like 1

There are many headwinds the cruiselines are facing.  

First, they all are very close to bankruptcy.  Varying degress, but the debt load and recent past losses are tremendous.  They need to increase revenue and/or cut expenses.

Second is the world-wide inflation that is affecting us all.  Nearly everything is more expensive.  And just like in your personal life, if things you use get more expensive, you stop using them or need more income to have them.  Fuel, food, drinks, labor, all of this.

Third is the wordwide labor issues.  Makes it harder to get workers, harder to keep workers.

I don't defend them, because I haven't cruised and have no point of comparison.  But am confident I can say pre-covid, it wasn't like the Love Boat days and it isn't like it now.  Things have to change.  Will always be the case.   And as more seasoned Celebrity cruisers move on for whatever reason, noobs like me come along and aren't upset there isn't a chocolate on the pillow.... cuz I've never had the chocolate on the pillow........  (a generalization for generalization purposes).

Edited by shellunderwater
spelling error.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

First, they all are very close to bankruptcy.  Varying degrees, but the debt load and recent past losses are tremendous.  They need to increase revenue and/or cut expenses.

Second is the world-wide inflation that is affecting us all.  Nearly everything is more expensive.  And just like in your personal life, if things you use get more expensive, you stop using them or need more income to have them.  Fuel, food, drinks, labor, all of this.

Third is the worldwide labor issues.  Makes it harder to get workers, harder to keep workers.

I don't defend them, because I haven't cruised and have no point of comparison.  But am confident I can say pre-covid, it wasn't like the Love Boat days and it isn't like it now.  Things have to change.  Will always be the case.   And as more seasoned Celebrity cruisers move on for whatever reason, noobs like me come along and aren't upset there isn't a chocolate on the pillow.... cuz I've never had the chocolate on the pillow........  (a generalization for generalization purposes).

All your points are well-taken  << sigh  >>

Cruising was, still is, and hopefully always will be the best bang-for-the-buck (value) for your hard-earned vacation dollars. Issues like out-of-control inflation, labor shortages, supply chain bottlenecks, etc. affect ALL other vacation options too. So, unless you're planning a 'staycation' to 'porchville', those of us who love cruising may need to swallow hard, suck it up, and -- as the British say -- Keep Calm and Carry On  😌

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

First, they all are very close to bankruptcy.  Varying degress, but the debt load and recent past losses are tremendous.  They need to increase revenue and/or cut expenses.

If they are close to bankruptcy,  then why do we keep on booking cruises and giving them new deposits?  That does not seem like a smart move.

Yet their stock price does not trade low like they are going into bankruptcy.  Far from it.

Edited by NMTraveller

12 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

If they are close to bankruptcy,  then why do we keep on booking cruises and giving them new deposits?  That does not seem like a smart move.

Why are you so negative on so many threads here?  When was the last time you cruised on Celebrity.  Your  bad mouthing thread after thread is upsetting especially if you haven’t cruised on Celebrity in a while. Having said that, winter can be boring.😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Oville said:

Why are you so negative on so many threads here?  When was the last time you cruised on Celebrity.  Your  bad mouthing thread after thread is upsetting especially if you haven’t cruised on Celebrity in a while. Having said that, winter can be boring.😉

I was questioning someone that said Celebrity was "very close to bankruptcy".

You think that is negative?  I could have agreed with them.  That would have been sad and negative.  Others seem to agree with that argument.  I don't.

If I sailed in December would that be relevant to the MDR/OVC cuts that occurred in January?  Perhaps you are trying to convince me that I should like the cuts?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

I was questioning someone that said Celebrity was "very close to bankruptcy".

You think that is negative?  I could have agreed with them.  That would have been sad.

But you have been negative for weeks, get honest. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Oville said:

But you have been negative for weeks, get honest. 

Just in regards to dining and food choices since the first of the year cuts.  If Celebrity would change the MDR and OVC back, then posts would start getting positive again.  The ball is in Celebrity's court.  The negative or positive sentiment reflects on Celebrity and their actions.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Just in regards to dining and food choices.  The first of the year cuts.  If Celebrity would change the MDR and OVC back, then posts would start getting positive again.  The ball is in Celebrity's court.  The negative or positive sentiment reflects on Celebrity and their actions.

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Just in regards to dining and food choices.  The first of the year cuts.  If Celebrity would change the MDR and OVC back, then posts would start getting positive again.  The ball is in Celebrity's court.  The negative or positive sentiment reflects on Celebrity and their actions.

And you cruised on Celebrity, Princess and Hal when?  You keep bragging about the other lines, when did you last sail them since Jan 1. You are an expert on their menus and cuts of meat so how many cruises in the last 23 days on X and Princess..

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Oville said:

And you cruised on Celebrity, Princess and Hal when?  You keep bragging about the other lines, when did you last sail them since Jan 1. You are an expert on their menus and cuts of meat so how many cruises in the last 23 days on X and Princess..

I have looked at Princess current menus and compared them to Celebritys current MDR menus.  Much like I would research a restaurant before I walk into it.  I look at the menu.  The Princess menu looks much better than the current X menu.  Better cuts of fish and beef and more choices.  Before the cuts the X menu was better.  I do know how to read a menu and I do know what I like.  This is not difficult.  I do know the quality of meats and fish on a menu.  Perhaps I do not like sirloin or tilapia.  

Most of my last cruises have been on X.  So therefore the disappointment.

I do not need to go on a cruise to look at a menu.  I probably would do that if I had the time.

Have you compared the menus?  Perhaps you go into a restaurant before looking at the menu?  The lines do publish their MDR menus.

Perhaps you could tell us what you like about the OVC and MDR menu cuts?

I am all ears if you can show me how X has better MDR entrees on their menu than Princess.

We can just agree to disagree if you like the new menu.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I have looked at Princess current menus and compared them to Celebritys current MDR menus.  Much like I would research a restaurant before I walk into it.  I look at the menu.  The Princess menu looks much better than the current X menu.  Before the cuts the X menu was better.  I do know how to read a menu and I do know what I like.  This is not difficult.  I do know the quality of meats and fish on a menu.  Perhaps I do not like sirloin or tilapia.  

Have you compared the menus?  Perhaps you go into a restaurant before looking at the menu?

Please post both since you’ve been going on about them for weeks.  We are not Princess fans but maybe you can convince us.  Show the menus.

I have looked at Princess current menus and compared them to Celebritys current MDR menus.  Much like I would research a restaurant before I walk into it.  I look at the menu.  The Princess menu looks much better than the current X menu.  Better cuts of fish and beef and more choices.  Before the cuts the X menu was better.  I do know how to read a menu and I do know what I like.  This is not difficult.  I do know the quality of meats and fish on a menu.  Perhaps I do not like sirloin or tilapia.  

Most of my last cruises have been on X.  So therefore the disappointment.

Have you compared the menus?  Perhaps you go into a restaurant before looking at the menu?  The lines do publish their MDR menus.

Perhaps you could tell us what you like about the OVC and MDR menu cuts?

I am all ears if you can show me how X has better MDR entrees on their menu than Princess.

We cruise in suites but love Blu and the E Class restaurants.  Our favorite is Eden.  Probably eat in Luminae 2 or 3 times for dinner. Eden, the best restaurant on Celebrity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oville said:

We cruise in suites but love Blu and the E Class restaurants.  Our favorite is Eden.  Probably eat in Luminae 2 or 3 times for dinner. Eden, the best restaurant on Celebrity.

That would explain it.  You are in the suites and do not eat in the MDR.

So why ask why?  The cuts do not affect you.  And then minimizing the cuts for those of us that are affected by them...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Oville said:

Please post both since you’ve been going on about them for weeks.  We are not Princess fans but maybe you can convince us.  Show the menus.

Why?  You sail in suites and do not eat in the MDR.

Why are you arguing about the MDR food when you do not eat in there?

Edited by NMTraveller