Riviera Propulsion Issues?

Ciref

We are sailing on the Riviera on January 14th.  We just received an email wherein Oceania announced they are cutting four of the six port stays by one hour.  They say:

"Our company is committed to driving a positive impact on society and the environment. As part of our global sustainability program, Sail & Sustain, we are continually seeking opportunities to reduce our overall carbon footprint, and recently committed to pursuing net zero greenhouse gas emissions across our operations and value chain by 2050.

To support this mission, we have optimized our arrival and departure times. This revision will not impact any shore excursion operations. We appreciate your understanding and support on this important sustainability initiative."

Does anyone have any information concerning whether it is truly an environmental decision or if it is PR to conceal a problem?

Edited by Ciref

23 minutes ago, Ciref said:

Does anyone have any information concerning whether it is truly an environmental decision or if it is PR to conceal a problem?

I've been contemplating a translation app similar to google's language translators.   One that would translate corporate speak to plain English.  🙂  I translate this press release as:  "We're deep in debt and need to reduce costs."   FWIW these changes are not only happening to Riviera but other ships in NCLH's fleet.

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I looked at the itinerary for my Sept. 2 Sirena sailing, how long the ship is in port. I compared what shows online and what shows on my invoice. So far nothing has changed. It looks like O waits until people have already paid before they dump the bad news on them, O already has their money.

If this is going to be O's new policy they should start readjusting all itineraries now and notifying all booked passengers in time for us to cancel without penalty if we don't like the changes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I looked at the itinerary for my Sept. 2 Sirena sailing, how long the ship is in port. I compared what shows online and what shows on my invoice. So far nothing has changed. It looks like O waits until people have already paid before they dump the bad news on them, O already has their money.

If this is going to be O's new policy they should start readjusting all itineraries now and notifying all booked passengers in time for us to cancel without penalty if we don't like the changes.

well you know it is coming  so just cancel now & enjoy your Celebrity cruise

do not get caught losing the admin fee

Seem changes are happening to all the lines

JMO

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, LHT28 said:

well you k now it is coming  so just cancel now & enjoy your Celebrity cruise

do not get caught losing the admin fee

Seem changes are happening to all the lines

JMO

Yes, RCCL is doing the same thing. I may just cancel both cruises and fly to the Canaries for a land tour. I have my new passport and am ready to go. 

I'm not going to get caught up in admin fees again, I have the drop dead cancel date highlighted in my calendar book.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How in the world would Oceania know if these changes will affect shore excursion operations? Oh! They mean their own! 🙄.

Does this mean if we’re now signed up for an eight hour Oceania shore excursions it will either now be cancelled or just cut in time at the same price?

2 hours ago, Ciref said:

PR to conceal a desperate need to cut expenses ASAP. Oceania's corporate sibling, NCL, is making similar itinerary changes. 

I can assure you the entire fleet isn't suddenly experiencing propulsion problems.

Cut expenses and increase revenues immediately if not sooner is what NCLH is focused on .

• Like 1