Current Captains onboard.

Tilly20

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Neil Turnbull actually drove us demented.  His jokes were just awful and so samey.  The only one who I thought really did make a difference was Captain Box on Artemis, I think, who gave us a potted history whilst going through the Bosphorus into the BlackSea.  Really interesting.  Apart from him, I'd rather they didn't tell these stupid jokes.  Announcements are of course totally different.

I know that Neil Turnbull is a bit Marmite but having had dealings with him 'away from the public announcements', I can say that he is an incredibly kind and compassionate man.

• Like 5

On 1/7/2023 at 6:45 PM, Presto2 said:

Seems like a lot of changes. Does anyone know if Andy Willard has retired as he seems to have disappeared 😞

I believe he is currently based in Carnival House.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I agree with that statement entirely. Whenever we have been on a cruise where he was the Captain if there was a problem he was always there to sort it out and was seen regularly walking around the ship and always spoke and had a smile. Neil Oliver we have known since our first cruise on P&Os Aurora maiden voyage in 2000 when we were lucky to share a dinner table in MDR for majority of evenings and IMO is a fantastic Cruise Director as was and now Entertainments Manager.

On the other hand we have been lucky enough to cruise with one Captain only once and all wanted was to walk around the ship thinking how handsome he was and have all the ladies "swoon" over him and loved the sound of his own voice at the noon announcements. Not fair to name him especially at the moment as Arvia has enough problems 😉. Just hope he isnt Captain when we are on Arvia in September.

I think you are being somewhat unfair about Arvia's captain. Having had a private coffee with him on a number of cruises, I have always found him a very genuine and friendly person.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I think you are being somewhat unfair about Arvia's captain. Having had a private coffee with him on a number of cruises, I have always found him a very genuine and friendly person.

Perhaps so but I can only give my own opinion of the one and only cruise I did with him and his midday announcements were toe curling, cheesy and full of self importance. Everybody to their own and everyone has the right to like and not like whoever they want and if we all liked and disliked the same people it would be a funny world.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I believe he is currently based in Carnival House.

Hi Sharon, just reread this again. Any idea what role he has and if he is due to return to the 'high seas'?

Every time we sailed with him the crew (bar none) could not say enough good things about him. It was a happy ship, with happy crew and happy passengers. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hi Sharon, just reread this again. Any idea what role he has and if he is due to return to the 'high seas'?

Every time we sailed with him the crew (bar none) could not say enough good things about him. It was a happy ship, with happy crew and happy passengers. 

There is a role of what is effectively 'Office Captain'. They are there to advise the various shore teams on things seagoing and operational. I believe they rotate but I'm not sure how long the stints are.

• Thanks 1

I agree completely about Camby and Turnbull, liked Paul Brown too.

Captain Camby on my first cruise gave a really moving speech about his crew when we finished the cruise, made me tear up! But then it was my first cruise and I didn’t want to leave the ship so was feeling emotional anyway!

• Like 2

On 1/8/2023 at 12:38 PM, molecrochip said:

Over on Princess, I'm a big fan of Michelle Tuvo who has been the Captain on Sky Princess for the past couple of summers.

I’m sure I recently read on the Princess forum that Captain Tuvo has moved to MSC.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:07 PM, jeanlyon said:

I never understand why anyone is interested in who the Captain is.  As long as they know what they are doing, and I presume they all do, what difference do they make?

Exactly what i have thought so many people asking this question over the years. I got 'crucified' on another P&O Forum for saying Olden has must have changed a lot since i was there in 2012 when the Captain Announced 'What you See is What you Get' there was that little in the place.