Our " Getaway " to the Breakaway - NOLA 1/22/23 - live ?

JIMESOPUS

Wow Jim you’ve managed to sh*t all over the excitement we had for our upcoming cruise in March! 😆

Just kidding of course, I appreciate the honest review. But it is a little deflating. We’ve been on full ships several times but never with this situation with the staff shortage. It will definitely have us managing our expectations.

47 minutes ago, LincolnLog said:

Wow Jim you’ve managed to sh*t all over the excitement we had for our upcoming cruise in March! 😆

Just kidding of course, I appreciate the honest review. But it is a little deflating. We’ve been on full ships several times but never with this situation with the staff shortage. It will definitely have us managing our expectations.

@LincolnLogI really don't want to ruin anyone's cruise, but we were truly unhappy how things turn out on the GA and BA, especially since we had a phenomenal cruise on the BA 10 weeks ago. Frankie, Harry and the boys down in Miami need to listen to the customers. Over booking a cruise with a crew shortage can only spell disaster.

Hopefully the passenger count will drop down and maybe they will hire more crew.

Jim

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@LincolnLogI really don't want to ruin anyone's cruise, but we were truly unhappy how things turn out on the GA and BA, especially since we had a phenomenal cruise on the BA 10 weeks ago. Frankie, Harry and the boys down in Miami need to listen to the customers. Over booking a cruise with a crew shortage can only spell disaster.

Hopefully the passenger count will drop down and maybe they will hire more crew.

Jim

We come to Cruise Critic for the truth, not the spout of marketing bliss that NCL sends out. Of course, it's understandable NCL is always talking diamonds, unicorns. They want to sell cruises. I enjoy being an educated traveler, so truly appreciate hearing the good, and not so good from reviews like yours. 

Back in April, my first NCL cruise, we had a Getaway cruise at 110% capacity due to Easter break in the tri-state region. Weren't you on this cruise? Anyway, if we had not been in the Haven I don't think we would ever have cruised again. One day we walked out from the Haven and saw the mass of humanity lounging about on the pool deck. Wow, our eyes were opened to just how fortunate we really were! 

I think Frankie boy and company haven't learned any lessons as that cruise had about 200 - 300 (memory might be off) fewer staff than they should have, with more guests than any NCL ship had yet had. They're still doing it as evidenced by your cruises and my NY's cruise that was at 99.9% of the real ship's capacity (per Metin, the GM). 

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We come to Cruise Critic for the truth, not the spout of marketing bliss that NCL sends out. Of course, it's understandable NCL is always talking diamonds, unicorns. They want to sell cruises. I enjoy being an educated traveler, so truly appreciate hearing the good, and not so good from reviews like yours. 

Back in April, my first NCL cruise, we had a Getaway cruise at 110% capacity due to Easter break in the tri-state region. Weren't you on this cruise? Anyway, if we had not been in the Haven I don't think we would ever have cruised again. One day we walked out from the Haven and saw the mass of humanity lounging about on the pool deck. Wow, our eyes were opened to just how fortunate we really were! 

I think Frankie boy and company haven't learned any lessons as that cruise had about 200 - 300 (memory might be off) fewer staff than they should have, with more guests than any NCL ship had yet had. They're still doing it as evidenced by your cruises and my NY's cruise that was at 99.9% of the real ship's capacity (per Metin, the GM). 

We were right with you in the Haven, thanks to the folks here in CC we made a last minute decision to change our cabin to the Haven. Occasionally I take a look back at those pictures, lines snaking thru 90 then back to 88, some not making it on the ship till around 8 PM and like you said packed everywhere, we did venture outside the Haven and it was crazy but we had a great service throughout the ship.

Jim

Funny thing is this year, we are on the Joy out of Miami for Easter week, and still has lots of cabins availalble outside the Haven. We are staying in the Haven Aft facing Penthouse. We dont mind the crowds at the pool as we enjoy the excitement but also always want to have a place where w eknow we can relax with alot fewer people if need be. Looking forward to April.

12 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

It would be interesting to find out how much of the crew shortage is due to simple cost cutting and layoffs vs. simply not being able to find enough folks willing to still work on these cruise ships. If very much of it is the latter it may continue to get worse.

Edited by Red-Sol

25 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

It would be interesting to find out how much of the crew shortage is due to simple cost cutting and layoffs vs. simply not being able to find enough folks willing to still work on these cruise ships. If very much of it is the latter it may continue to get worse.

@Red-SolJoe, here is my take on crew shortage. There is a limited amount of qualified crew out there, some never came back after Covid.

The entire cruise industry continues to build new ships, I think at the end of this year the count will be close to 30. The Wonder of Seas list 2300 crew alone.

So how does one cruise line get more crew to sign on? Poaching is the best way, offer more money and better benefits. On the past two cruises we met crew that worked for other cruise lines, the assistant GM on the Getaway used to work for another cruise line. Retention is another way to keep your current workforce, offering more money and incentives such as promotions.

The only other solution is to hire less qualified workers and hope they will pan out.

Most cruise lines report back to the shareholders so they will not stop booking cruises to full capacity, I think we are in a bubble right now, about to burst.

Jim 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@Red-SolJoe, here is my take on crew shortage. There is a limited amount of qualified crew out there, some never came back after Covid.

The entire cruise industry continues to build new ships, I think at the end of this year the count will be close to 30. The Wonder of Seas list 2300 crew alone.

So how does one cruise line get more crew to sign on? Poaching is the best way, offer more money and better benefits. On the past two cruises we met crew that worked for other cruise lines, the assistant GM on the Getaway used to work for another cruise line. Retention is another way to keep your current workforce, offering more money and incentives such as promotions.

The only other solution is to hire less qualified workers and hope they will pan out.

Most cruise lines report back to the shareholders so they will not stop booking cruises to full capacity, I think we are in a bubble right now, about to burst.

Jim 

Makes total sense to me Jim...and not something easily (or maybe even possibly) fixed. Doesn't sound promising going forward. I admit to not really following many other cruise lines right now other than NCL but I assume the same problem is widespread.

Had a situation that shows labor problems for something different happen to me. The car dealer I work with locally I normally just pull into (without an appointment) for oil changes and they have never had a problem taking care of me. For some reason I decided to call ahead to make sure I could get an oil change before I just stopped in...and they told me I couldn't do it without an appointment. They also told me that they didn't have any appointments available for 2 weeks! Whoa! 2 weeks for an oil change!?!? The Service Writer confided in me that it's the same type of problem...can't find enough workers to do it.

Edited by Red-Sol

13 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Jim

Just hiring more crew sounds like an easy fix but it isn't.  For most of two years the cruise line couldn't sail.  Their crews were sent home.  Since the crew membes had families and responsibilities they had to find other employment.  Now that the lines are sailing again, those former crew may or may not still be available.   Even if they can hire more, those employees still have to go through an extensive training program.  It maybe months before a new hire can actually be put to work. 

Meanwhile, the cruise line has to service the debts run up when they couldn't sail.  It's unrealistic to claim they can cut their passenger counts.  They need to money to stay in business.  It's very similar to the problems other businesses face due to the pandemic.  We will get over it but we do need to patiently put up with some discomforts.

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Jim 

We did talk to 3 crew members, 2 bartenders several times each.

Our server (middle aged) the first night in Taste seemed out of place, didn't know any coworkers  names, etc.  We asked if this was his first cruise.  He smiled and politely said no, I have been doing this for years.  He is from Jamaica.  This was the start of his 3rd rotation since restarting. (they work 9 months on, 2 months off)  He said we may have been on board longer than he was, he flew in that morning.  He has worked Breakaway before, but not since coming back.  By the end of our meal it seemed he was already in training mode for the 2 or 3 servers around him.

Bring 90% of staff back in 4 months does not fit a 9 month rotation.  Obviously the more skilled left last fall, and are now returning.  Maybe on purpose so they could have New years at home?   Hopefully that means more experienced will be coming back for spring break and summer. Getting a balance of experienced and newbies for every ship has to be an HR nightmare.  That might not happen until next year.

The 2 bartenders were long term employees.  They did their job well, and have friends in most ports.  Once we got to know them the drinks came quickly and steadily.  (note: they didn't work poolside bars).  This is similar to conversations we have had with other bartenders on our 2022 cruises. Nice people who understand their business.  I think most of the bartenders we have seen on 4 NCL cruises now had previous NCL experience, or other cruise lines/large hotels. 

Also our early cruises last year seemed to be 80% from Philippians.  This year it seems a more diverse set of countries, although Filipinos  have a  majority at the bartender positions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2023 at 4:15 AM, JIMESOPUS said:

Welcome to Day #8, it's Sunday don't know what's open in St Johns today, arrival time is around noon. Laundry day, found this tip on the boards a while back. Insert a plastic bag inside those thin paper bags, able to get more in and with the tie nothing falls out. ( 1 jean, 2 shorts, 8 T shirts and 3 dress shirts ). Spotty showers forecast, Windy shows everything to the north of St John's right now.

IMG_3587.JPG

What is the size of bag you get to go inside?

On 2/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, JIMESOPUS said:

So here is my take on the Getaway and the Breakaway, never again on round trip itinerary's

We sailed on the Breakaway this past fall, the last cruise of the season to Canada from NYC. If you compared that cruise, which was one of the best ones for us to this cruise, you would thought it was a different ship or even a different cruise line. 

We did sail on the Getaway when it was at 100% full, last years Easter cruise to Bermuda but it's was fully staffed and the crew was happy to be back working.

Both ships are understaffed, but it seemed the Getaway was able to handle 3880 passengers better than the Breakaway 4185 passengers.

Entertainment on the Getaway was lacking, they had three comedians which they used to fill in the gaps of no entertainment, while the Breakaway had the usual assortment of entertainers (2 comedians, 1 singer and 1 magician ).

While the Getaways O'Sheehans was the place to go for a hot meal on the Breakaway it was a total fail for us, cold or burnt food every time. 

Both ships had wait times for the MDR's on deck #6 but the wait time seemed shorter on the Getaway, the other MDR on deck #7 we didn't visit, just one look at the long lines made us go elsewhere.

You know that jingle for NCL " I want to break free " well the staff in the Atrium have a different version of it, not very flattering. A glass was dropped in the Atrium, one crew member just walked past the broken glass and just rolled her eyes, a second pretended that there was nothing there, it took a junior officer to pick the broken glass.

I could go on about other issues but just wanted to say we had fun, rolled with the punches and made the best of it.

If they ( Miami ) can't find a solution to the crew shortage then they need to stop filling the ships, Freestyle is their claim to fame but it wasn't around that much for us.   

I agree with everything you said about the GA. If we were not in the Haven I would not have been a Happy Camper. Our friends were right down the hall from us in a Spa Balcony. We had dinner with them a number of times. The service was ridiculously slow. Lack of staffing was evident everywhere. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:51 PM, PatandStu said:

We’re sailing on the breakaway Feb 5 out of NOLA so I’m ready to read your posts! 

On the joy we needed to get reservations for the comedians. Do you need to get reservations for Headliners and the comedians on the Breakaway? Or is it first come first served.

Edited by Topdog52