Why would Norwegian do this ?

shipmate13

1 hour ago, rigs32 said:

(likely not much more than $100 near MCO

If you don't mind the fleas.  I'm looking at a Hampton Inn near MCO (not high-class, but not bottom-barrel) for my cruise in March and it's $319 for a one night stay and shuttle to the cruise port.  and that's a deal!  Booking the hotel only through my Hilton account (signed up for work) is $305.

With all the horror stories I read on here about "free" air with NCL, I think your daughter and sil did well!

Have them look on the disboards under cruise or transportation to see the reviews and who uses what to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando.  Mears comes to mind.

IMO, I would be happy for that flight. For me, maybe a littler earlier coming in but either way I would be happy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hallux said:

If you don't mind the fleas.  I'm looking at a Hampton Inn near MCO (not high-class, but not bottom-barrel) for my cruise in March and it's $319 for a one night stay and shuttle to the cruise port.  and that's a deal!  Booking the hotel only through my Hilton account (signed up for work) is $305.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Cape Canaveral on 11/7/22 for $139.  Then we were just a few minutes from the ship in the morning.

4 hours ago, TequilaKen said:

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Cape Canaveral on 11/7/22 for $139.  Then we were just a few minutes from the ship in the morning.

a very much off-peak stay.  I'm going right smack in the middle of Spring Break season...

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:15 PM, shipmate13 said:

My daughter and son in law are flying from Scottsdale to Florida to take a cruise out of Port Canaveral with us in March. They added airfare through Norwegian when they booked the cruise.  They received their email today with the PDF file for their air flight.  Norwegian has them flying the day before the cruise and arriving in Orlando at 530pm the night before the cruise.  Because of that, they have to find a hotel to stay at and then pay for transportation to get to the cruise pier which I believe is about an hour and a half away.  I guess I am a little taken back at Norwegian for doing it that way.  I would think that they would be a little more accommodating and have their passengers fly to the airport CLOSEST to the pier and not a whole day before making them find a hotel and transportation too.  

Am I missing something???? Not being nasty about Norwegian as I like the cruise line alot but I am a little confused on this one.  Maybe taking flight arrangements through them was not a wise decision.  Lesson learned.  

I would better arrive a day before rather experiencing our recent adventure - refer to our post 

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

In what world is $319 a night and "free" shuttle a deal?  

Even the Day's Inn near the port (Cocoa Beach) is $289 for the night that I need to stay over (searching hotels.com) and I still need to get there from the airport and then from there to the cruise port.  Find me a better deal in someplace that isn't a bottom-barrel place...

I was mistaken.  With my Hilton account I can pay $250 to stay in the same hotel as the package that included cruise port transfer for $319, but then I need to either pay for the cruise line shuttle from MCO to PC or get an Uber

Everyone likes to look at total cost - I could get a Hampton Inn in Melbourne for $178, but Uber to get there is $60, plus an Uber to the port is another $60 (not even accounting for surge pricing on a cruise day), I might as well take the place near the airport for only a few $$ more...

Edited by hallux

Having lived in both Cocoa Beach and Orlando, I would rent a car.  This gives you enormous options for staying in orlando the night before.  Do disney springs, or Universal city walk that night, then a hotel of your choosing that is not the airport Hilton rate which is pricey, albeit a great hotel.

Or you can uber or lyft anywhere you choose in Orlando, they are prompt and plentiful.

That time of year, Cocoa beach hotels (Cape Canaveral) are pricey.  We like to stay directly next to the pier, not the port, the pier.  Which is Days in or Holiday Inn with an ocean view.  you can uber to restaurants here, or eat on the pier, if you choose to stay there the night before.

Dropping off the car is easy and they will shuttle you to the pier.  Confirm though please, as this could always change.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 3:59 PM, The Traveling Man said:

So what do they call the 528 now, if not the Bee Line?

The Expressway Authority changed the name to the Beach Line, to promote the proximity of Cocoa Beach, etc. I will always call it the Bee Line, though!!

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:15 PM, shipmate13 said:

My daughter and son in law are flying from Scottsdale to Florida to take a cruise out of Port Canaveral with us in March. They added airfare through Norwegian when they booked the cruise.  They received their email today with the PDF file for their air flight.  Norwegian has them flying the day before the cruise and arriving in Orlando at 530pm the night before the cruise.  Because of that, they have to find a hotel to stay at and then pay for transportation to get to the cruise pier which I believe is about an hour and a half away.  I guess I am a little taken back at Norwegian for doing it that way.  I would think that they would be a little more accommodating and have their passengers fly to the airport CLOSEST to the pier and not a whole day before making them find a hotel and transportation too.  

Am I missing something???? Not being nasty about Norwegian as I like the cruise line alot but I am a little confused on this one.  Maybe taking flight arrangements through them was not a wise decision.  Lesson learned.  

They are definitely safer flying in the day before because you never know if flights will be delayed ~ happens too many times, and they could miss the ship.  Have them check into goports.com ~ they can choose a hotel which will provide airport shuttle transportation from MCO to the hotel, the overnight room, and motor coach shuttle to the cruise terminal the next morning.  The package price will depend on the hotel they choose.  We use them whenever we cruise out of Port Canaveral and have never had a problem.

2 hours ago, OhJinkies said:

The Expressway Authority changed the name to the Beach Line, to promote the proximity of Cocoa Beach, etc. I will always call it the Bee Line, though!!

It will always be the Bee Line to me

• Like 1

Norwegian Air-from Detroit to Chicago, to LAX, to Panama (over 20 hours, wheels up to down in Panama).  Route through NY if I had booked it would have been 8 hours total flight time.  Problem is, 50 minute layover in Chicago (different terminals).  Called airlines and they said if we make it, bags will not.  NCL says there is nothing that they can do.  We will miss day 1, which is the reason we are going on this cruise, Panama Canal.  So, do we carry bags on or take a chance on getting them day 3?  Never, never again would I book air through NCL and likely will go back to different line after this Horrible experience with their air department and overall customer service.    

• Like 1

Norwegian Air-from Detroit to Chicago, to LAX, to Panama (over 20 hours, wheels up to down in Panama).  Route through NY if I had booked it would have been 8 hours total flight time.  Problem is, 50 minute layover in Chicago (different terminals).  Called airlines and they said if we make it, bags will not.  NCL says there is nothing that they can do.  We will miss day 1, which is the reason we are going on this cruise, Panama Canal.  So, do we carry bags on or take a chance on getting them day 3?  Never, never again would I book air through NCL and likely will go back to different line after this Horrible experience with their air department and overall customer service.    

3 minutes ago, Pt5555 said:

I think you know your answer. Just do carry on luggage. NCL BOGO Air is at the whim of the cruise line. I'm sorry you learned that the hard way. A good PCC or TA would advise you of this. I think I warn my clients a minimum of five times that NCL BOGO Air is a no compromise air solution for the bargain traveler.

50 minutes ago, Pt5555 said:

We will miss day 1,

Let me see if this is right - NCL booked you on flights that don't even get you to the cruise on time?  That doesn't sound right, it shouldn't happen.  Did they originally book you on flights that would have gotten you there in time and have subsequently been cancelled and the airline re-booked you on the 'bad' flights?

10 hours ago, Pt5555 said:

Norwegian Air-from Detroit to Chicago, to LAX, to Panama (over 20 hours, wheels up to down in Panama).  Route through NY if I had booked it would have been 8 hours total flight time.  Problem 0is, 50 minute layover in Chicago (different terminals) ...    

Hi Lisa,

Not a surprise. Our recent experience - refer to the post# 55 of this tread - tells us that 59 minutes between two connecting flights is not enough, especially in Chicago. Despite on the first leg flight delay, we thought we had plenty of time to move from one gate to another gate on the same JFK terminal. When we arrived at the connecting flight gate about 15 minutes prior to departure, the gate doors have been already closed. We later learned that our luggage also was not transferred to the connecting flight.

As far as I learned from cruise critic community, the NCL Air department recently made many awful reservations.  And they do not take responsibilities in acknowledging them. We lost 3 days on our Panama cruise and missed the Panama Canal! In letters from Guest Experience office, their coordinator denied any wrongdoing on their behalf. Our claim to AON is still in process with only 70% of our extra expenses being acknowledged by an insurance assessor. 

Said that, I may only give you a tip to contact NCL US Guest Experience <guestrelations@ncl.com> or call Customer Service: (866) 234-7350.  There is a link to NCL company contacts at Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) - Elliott Report.  You may also try them.

Good luck,

Joseph

11 hours ago, usctzn said:

Hi Lisa,

Not a surprise. Our recent experience - refer to the post# 55 of this tread - tells us that 59 minutes between two connecting flights is not enough, especially in Chicago. Despite on the first leg flight delay, we thought we had plenty of time to move from one gate to another gate on the same JFK terminal. When we arrived at the connecting flight gate about 15 minutes prior to departure, the gate doors have been already closed. We later learned that our luggage also was not transferred to the connecting flight.

As far as I learned from cruise critic community, the NCL Air department recently made many awful reservations.  And they do not take responsibilities in acknowledging them. We lost 3 days on our Panama cruise and missed the Panama Canal! In letters from Guest Experience office, their coordinator denied any wrongdoing on their behalf. Our claim to AON is still in process with only 70% of our extra expenses being acknowledged by an insurance assessor. 

Said that, I may only give you a tip to contact NCL US Guest Experience <guestrelations@ncl.com> or call Customer Service: (866) 234-7350.  There is a link to NCL company contacts at Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) - Elliott Report.  You may also try them.

Good luck,

Joseph

Thanks so much for the info.  This is my 14th cruise on NCL, and many others on most Lines and I have never had any big issue.  The stress of worrying about the flight, deciding about bags (carry on vs checked bag) and such is not worth the cruise.  One of our group has limited mobility and is not able to carry on a roller bag.  And it is frustrating that NCL knows there are huge issues and does NOTHING about it.  Same thing will happen to us, we will miss the first 3 days of the cruise and Day 1 is the Panama Canal.  I have called so, so many times.  Not sure if I will contact someone or just not book NCL again.  Curious what kind of expenses you guys had and if NCL or airline paid for getting you to the next port.  Thanks again!  

8 hours ago, Pt5555 said:

Curious what kind of expenses you guys had and if NCL or airline paid for getting you to the next port.  Thanks again!  

A night at TWA hotel, JFK for over $450 (absolutely not worth it, even no coffee maker in the room), two nights at very good hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica for $250 total. Some meals for about $100 for two. That parts were covered by our AON travel insurance. So far they declined to cover a transfer to the Puntarenas cruise port ($135) and expenses related with luggage and seat costs on  JetBlue ( $149). NCL out of courtesy (they told us) paid for JetBlue from JFK to Costa Rica. Neither Delta nor COPA could reroute us without an additional payment ove $1000. Same time they did not assure us that we would be reaching the cruise ship on time. 

Edited by usctzn

On 1/25/2023 at 11:16 PM, usctzn said:

A night at TWA hotel, JFK for over $450 (absolutely not worth it, even no coffee maker in the room), two nights at very good hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica for $250 total. Some meals for about $100 for two. That parts were covered by our AON travel insurance. So far they declined to cover a transfer to the Puntarenas cruise port ($135) and expenses related with luggage and seat costs on  JetBlue ( $149). NCL out of courtesy (they told us) paid for JetBlue from JFK to Costa Rica. Neither Delta nor COPA could reroute us without an additional payment ove $1000. Same time they did not assure us that we would be reaching the cruise ship on time. 

wow, that's crazy.  We leave this Friday and only have 50 minutes in Chicago.  In and out of different terminals.  We have decided to carry on our bags, which we are not excited about but was told by the airlines that the bags would "probably not make the connection."  This worry about the air has totally taken the usual fun and excitement about the cruise away.  I am so upset with Norwegian Cruise Line that they will not do anything about it.  They keep telling me that "deviations" are not allowed, I don't want a deviation.....just want to make the cruise on time, instead of catching it in Costa Rica on day 3.  Similar to yours, day 1 is the Panama Canal and if we miss that flight, we will miss the canal, as well as day 2.  So, have some hope to make the flight but the stress is not worth it!    

On 1/25/2023 at 11:16 PM, usctzn said:

NCL has done your Daughter a big favor here.  I live in Florida and can tell you that chances are their flight will be delayed coming from the West Coast in March.  Flying in a day early is the best thing that could happen to them.  Honestly, with the current state of the airline industry I'd advise flying in 2 days early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pt5555 said:

We leave this Friday and only have 50 minutes in Chicago.  In and out of different terminals.  We have decided to carry on our bags, which we are not excited about but was told by the airlines that the bags would "probably not make the connection." 

I was through O'Hare in 2019, in to international from Vancouver (I left Vancouver after the cut-off for pre-clearing customs and immigration in Vancouver) then out of domestic. The flights were booked 1:13 apart and the trains running between the terminals were not running (meaning I had to take a bus outside of security and re-clear).  United actually re-booked me on a later-departing flight than I was originally booked (while I was on my cruise they did this!) BECAUSE of the trains being down and the 1:13 was not enough time to meet the MCT for the airport as a result.

The end result?  My flight arrived a little early, I claimed my bag for customs, went through immigration and at the bag re-check station they were able to book me back on my original flight.  Took the shuttle bus to the domestic terminal, went through security (at O'Hare, at 6 AM, but on a Sunday) and made it to the gate in time for my flight.  My bag also made it for pick up at my home airport.

I flew into MCO in August.

Hotels r usually cheaper in Orlando than near Port Canaveral.

Cheapest transfer is likely Lyft/Uber for 2.

I booked EVEN hotel near MIA airport. 

I booked CORTRANS shuttle to pick me up the morning of the cruise as they do not do evenings.

$50 round trip.

They were the ONLY shuttle service with decent reviews. 

I was quite pleased & would use them again.