Caribbean Canada New England or Majestic Alaska?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I asked this maybe in June when I had to cancel my long awaited Majestic to Alaska group cruise, but I still haven't made a decision.  I rebooked 2 cruises but will only take one:  either early August 2023 Majestic Princess to Alaska solo 7 night, or mid Sept 2023 Caribbean Princess to Canada / New England 10 night with the same group (large group) I was originally supposed to go with.  I would mostly be solo but could join the group for activities.  I am surprised that I still can't decide and it's been 7 months.  I would prefer to go to Alaska and that is a preferable time for my family b/c DH won't have to deal with getting kids to school.  But, I really wanted to go with the group and find the other seems much more relaxing.  We've had a terrible last 2 yrs and I really need relaxation.  Alaska seems very go go go.  Also, it's much easier to get to the Caribbean Princess b/c I'm in the DC area and can simply take the train to NYC, whereas it's very $$$ and long, complicated flights to get to Vancouver.  That's a large reason why I'm leaning towards the Caribbean princess--I don't handle flying well and don't want the extra covid risk of really long flights with connections before the cruise even starts.  Flying home from Quebec doesn't seem nearly as daunting.  I already booked the excursions I wanted for Alaska since I first booked it in 2019, including the dog sledding on the glacier by helicopter, but I know these are easily canceled.  I haven't yet booked any excursions for the other cruise.  It will be my first cruise.  Thanks for any advice.

Have you been to Alaska (does "it will be my first cruise apply to Alaska or with Princess)?  Since you are on the East Coast, have you done many of those ports?  Much easier to do a land tour on the East Coast.

I understand the plane fiascos:  Having to transfer, find a night before, get to the ship...for Alaska.  But if you want to relax, I'd go with Alaska for it's beauty.  Also, would you consider doing a round trip out of Seattle/much less stressful.  Is the Majestic only doing a one way passage (up to Anchorage)?  More reason to consider NOT doing the Alaskan voyage.  

I'm a checklist person.  Been to Alaska many times.  Going on my first New England cruise this summer.  Lived in New England for a few years.  Not excited about the heat during the summer.  Much more pleasant weather in Alaska (even with rain).  But Alaska can also be hot, but not humid.  

I would choose the Caribbean Princess over the Majestic as a ship preference.  Not a Royal Class ship fan.  

I know, I know, not helpful.  The bottom line is you have to set your priorities as to what you want from a cruise.  Going solo is not an issue.  

It's my first ever cruise, and I've never been to Alaska before.  I want to do the same itinerary I was booked on for 2020, 21, and 22 that I never got to go on, which is a one way Vancouver to Anchorage (canceled for covid twice and then death in the family the 3rd time).  I have specific hotels and activities planned for Vancouver and Anchorage.  I do want to see Seattle someday but not for the cruise b/c I want the long days in port you get from the Vancouver departure.  I would not have chosen the 10 day or Canada / New England without it being the group cruise organized by the travel agent, as I've seen some of the places it's going to, such as Boston.  But I love this part of the country (US) and have never seen any of Canada except the very commercialized part right at Niagara Falls.  Quebec seems like a city I will love.

You seem to have your heart set on Alaska (3 previous tries/all planned).  I think you’ve answered your own question.  

Have a glorious time.  You can do New England another time since it does not take as much planning.  You might even be able to do a drop and go cruise for a really good price, in the future.  

Sounds like the serene AK trip may be best!   You make it as much go go go as you want.  
If you’re concerned about the airfare, you could fly in/out of Seattle.  There are a lot of buses from the city or airport that you could take to Vancouver.  

Maybe spend the night in Seattle is another option.  Also buses from the city to Vancouver.  

Just some suggestions.  I’d love prefer to get to Vancouver the day before,

just quicker.  

Good luck to you.  These are hard decisions.  

Maybe plan Alaska this year and Canada NE next year. So you are not choosing one over the other, just putting one first.

As much as I like both cruises - I have done Alaska far more, so I am guessing I must prefer that itinerary better 🙂 .

• Like 1

Hands down Alaska If you're basing it off destination. If you're going to base it off which ship in the fleet I still would do Alaska because I would go on the Majestic over the Caribbean Princess any day. I'm personally not a fan of the Caribbean princess at all, but I know there is plenty who do love her.

Alaska. Shorter cruise much more of a port intensive tour cruise. Gets very tiring when you are there, very tiring getting there and  quite a bit more anxiety in the travel with the long plane travel.

You will probably have a lot more fun on the Canada 10 day trip. Much more relaxing and you will be with a group. If you select Canada, Sept 19th I presume New York to Quebec City.

You will require a passport

Pack layered clothing

The train brings you to Manhattan. The ship sails from the Red Hook Cruise Terminal in Brooklyn. Suggest you go a day early and book a Manhattan hotel room for at least one evening. You will then have to take a taxi/Uber to the pier on boarding day.

I enjoy the older ships better than the Royal Class ships. Older ships have more lounges for activities.

Flying home from Quebec City can be difficult. Don't know if there are any direct flights to DC. You may have to transfer in Montreal or Toronto. Another option is to take the 3 hour train from Quebec City to Montreal, stay overnight and then fly home. Look carefully into the flights if you select the Canada itinerary. 

• Like 2

You said " I really need relaxation".  If you go to Alaska you will have a long flight.  You will also have a time change to adjust to.,  I think it is a 4 hour difference from EST. And the cruise is only one week.  At least for me I would not find that relaxing.

It sounds very much like you *might* be booked on the same Canada/New England cruise that we are booked on.  Having done BOTH of these itineraries previously, it's REALLY hard to beat Alaska!  We've done it 3 times now.  Yes, a bit more of a hassle to get there but I'd be willing to bet that you will NOT be disappointed!  Both itineraries have pros and cons...but starting off your "cruise career" with Alaska just might SPOIL you!  Don't even consider another cruise line for Alaska.  Princess has been doing Alaska for over 50 years and is recognized as "experts" in Alaska.

Thank you for all the feedback.  It is very helpful!  One thing that I didn't say is that the same group is going to Alaska in summer 2024, so there is the possibility of doing both cruises with the group.  But, given the costs involved I don't know if I"m up for a trip both years.

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom