Which Alaska Itinerary and why?

leisuretraveler223

We chose a 6 day in May '24 on the Edge. Vancouver to Seattle. Always wanted to stay a night in the Pan Pacific Hotel. Currently booked in a SV but will bid on something in the Retreat. I doubt if we will get off the ship at any ports. Not for everyone but works for us. Glad the Edge is doing AK in '24. Really didn't want to do it on S-class. 

• Thanks 1

Since the restart we have done 4 cruises. 3 of them have been Alaska cruises. 2 were on Millie and 1 on Solstice. I'm currently looking to book an Alaska cruise for Sept 2024. We have done 1 cruise on the Edge in a sky suite. The Summit would be very nice, but adding airfare to Anchorage and transfer to Seward. I decided to pass on the Summit. The Edge out of Seattle would be the simplest for us. We are 30 mins from the cruise terminal. Solstice out of Canada Place is about a 3 hour drive from Seattle. In my eyes Solstice has the better itinerary. I like Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point and glassblowing. So I looked at the cost for a celebrity suite. Well, I was thinking about giving the Edge another chance, but the cost difference means we will pick Solstice out of Vancouver. Solstice will cost less and has the better itinerary. Sailing on the Edge in a CS will cost $3900 more then sailing on Solstice. Photos are of Hubbard Glacier.

20220604_151210.thumb.jpg.7409bbb0ccb578768414ebdb73347b95.jpg20220604_153522.thumb.jpg.d13ca1f4efc02fb3d02e72a1745f540b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity is great but not for Alaska.  Highly recommend Holland.  If you are interested in ports do the 14 day Holland cruise.  It adds Kodiak island & Anchorage as well as the usual stops, also our last one added Valdez (sometimes its Homer instead of Valdez).  Did a great glacier tour there.  Always leave out of Vancourver if you can - beautiful scenic cruising.  Much better than Seattle.

Agree that Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point (do the zip line & new gondolas - so fun), Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay are some highlights. Holland does all of those.  

Best Wishes!

• Like 2

I would do the Connoisseur Princess cruisetour and then embark on a one-way cruise south to Vancouver. Why Princess? Because they were one of the original cruise lines to see Alaska and still get to sail to Glacier Bay and because they own their own lodges for the cruisetour part, ensuring a seamless, quality experience. I would pick a balcony to be able to see the wildlife and scenery without leaving my stateroom.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:39 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

Pretend cost and timing are irrelevant. You're going on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska.  Which itinerary do you choose and why?

I would look at another cruise line such as Holland America, Princess, etc.  Better itineraries.