Would you book a cruise knowing there was a charter on it?

We have only had one bad experience with a charter.  There was a very large group from a company called Kiyani.  Totally obnoxious, rude bunch who thought they owned the ship. They ran around in packs of 20-30 all the time, taking over venues, blocking stairs and hallways, and even shoving people out of elevators so they could stay together. 

We had a problem a few years ago when we booked an AZAMARA cruise from Athens to Istanbul. We booked it and 3/4 of the ship was an incentive thank you for employees of a New Zealand insurance company.  Totally ruined the cruise.  They had no idea about cruising and dominated all the bars, pool area, hit the free alcohol from early morning to early hours and were loud and in some cases ( not all) totally obnoxious.  Spent as much time as we could off the ship to get away from them.    Won’t do one again !!! 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ATG said:

We were on Oasis one year in late January with a large group.  Due to dietary restrictions they shut down solarium bistro all week, only allowing their group in.  Since that’s one of our favorite places for breakfast and lunch we were not pleased.

Yes, we feel the same about the Bistro and would be upset not to be able to access it. That should be something communicated to other guests . Generally we don't notice other groups, as the venues they block out are a "one off". I do have a slight, very mild, case of PTSD from the group of 1200 that worse matching aqua colored shirts all week...

17 hours ago, minnie00 said:

ok its the Panthers...Royal Riot cruise....I already saw that the Coco Cay beach club is sold out...asked on the roll call board. that was the reason I wanted this sailing...it offered coco Cay as well...

Think I would pass and book another week.

Edited by Jimbo

We were on the Liberty once and they had a Polka charter that sailing.  Most of the events were during off times and hardly noticeable.  The only notable thing I can recall is that I met some really nice polka people…. 😉

• Like 1

So to find out if there is charter on your sailing you have to wait until someone from that group mentions it on the roll call here?    

I was thinking about this recently.  There was a thread where someone's cruise reservation was cancelled because it was switched to a gay cruise.  Someone on the thread suggested that they sign up for the same cruise under the charter and that it was cheaper.   I gave it some thought, and that would be a solid No.  I wouldn't do a singles charter cruise either.  

I wonder if there would be a way to find out how much and what was blocked off for the charter?  That would make a big difference to me.  Guilting group spending all their time in the conference rooms?   Sounds like a benefit to everyone else.   Group booking the theater when there wouldn't normally be a show?  Not a problem.   Blocking off an area I'd like to visit for the entire cruise?   A problem.   

I wonder what Royal's policy of on changes in this case?  

Thinking about it, I'd probably want to switch if it was a football related charter.   I'd lose my husband to long football conversations.   I don't want to compete with football, which is why we married in August.   I wanted max time to plan, but before football started.  I didn't want to know which of my friends would rather want a game on TV then go to my wedding.  

• Like 1