Are there cruises that BEGIN in Norway?

SSBrickNJ

I've booked a HAL Cruise from Copenhagen to Norway and then back to Copenhagen. Aug. 2,2023 to Aug. 9, 2023

I put a $700 REfundable deposit for my wife and I. Refundable until May 4th.

The problem is that flights form our area airports Newark NJ (EWR ) or Philadelphia (PHL) are so expensive.

Yet flights into Norway itself are a much greater value.

Are there cruises that leave FROM and return to Norway?

We would like our cruise to start no earlier than August 1st and it must conclude by August 18th.

A 7 night cruise would be perfect but I'm open to learn about slightly longer. Certainly NOT a 2 week cruise though.

HAL cruises would be good but I'd entertain suggestions from other cruise lines as well.

We have a cruise embarking from Copenhagen coming up in June and I have also noticed quite a difference between the airfare to Copenhagen and the airfare to Oslo, Oslo being significantly less expensive.  We are thinking perhaps we will fly to Oslo, spend a couple of days there and then take the overnight DFDS ferry to Copenhagen.  The cost of the ferry is reasonable and it looks like a fun little "add on".  Just one thing you could consider.  Between the added hotel cost and the ferry cost it is a bit of a "wash" overall but at least we will get 3 extra days for our money instead of just a pricier airfare. 

But I'm also sure I have seen cruises that do embark from Oslo, although they may be on one of the other lines.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

We have a cruise embarking from Copenhagen coming up in June and I have also noticed quite a difference between the airfare to Copenhagen and the airfare to Oslo, Oslo being significantly less expensive.  We are thinking perhaps we will fly to Oslo, spend a couple of days there and then take the overnight DFDS ferry to Copenhagen.  The cost of the ferry is reasonable and it looks like a fun little "add on".  Just one thing you could consider.  Between the added hotel cost and the ferry cost it is a bit of a "wash" overall but at least we will get 3 extra days for our money instead of just a pricier airfare. 

But I'm also sure I have seen cruises that do embark from Oslo, although they may be on one of the other lines.

Please tell me more about the "overnight DFDS ferry to Copenhagen".

Is this ferry only available overnight?

I'll search for the website on my own but I'd enjoy hearing more from you as well.

44 minutes ago, zqvol said:

This is when you need a good TA

Maybe, but I am very experienced at picking people's brains on Tripadvisor or Cruise Critic and then arranging things myself. I am willing to work hard on the internet.

54 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Norwegian Star does cruises sailing out of Tromso, Norway

Thank you.

If we save on the flight but pay significantly more for the cruise...well then I'll not do that.

I will look at NCL's Norwegian Star website now and then report back here when time permits.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

3 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

I'll search for the website on my own but I'd enjoy hearing more from you as well.

Been a few years since I was working regularly in Copenhagen and did the trip.  If I recall it's only overnight from Copenhagen to Oslo and back.  However,  there's another ferry from Oslo to Friedreckshaven north of Copenhagen.   You can then drive or take the train south to Copenhagen. 

• Thanks 1

I think Hurtigruten does some things out of Norway but no clue and no information on my side other than that.

We won't seriously start looking at Norway cruises for another 5 or 6 years when the kids are a tad older. If we do Norway any sooner we would do it driving again (we did it a few years ago and driving was great IMO).

Sailing from Tromso Norway in August did not work out.

Abandoning that.

I'm on Tripadvisor working out ways to get from NJ to my already booked cruise.

Maybe taking Iceland Airlines from Newark NJ (EWR) to Iceland....then continuing on to Copenhagen Denmark.

11 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

The ferry runs both ways between Copenhagen and Oslo.  (There is also an overnight between Stockholm and Tallinn and one that only takes an hour or two between Tallinn and Helsinki.)  The overnight ferries are like small cruise ships, not what we Americans think of when we hear ferry.  They have shops, restaurants, some entertainment and various categories of cabins with private baths.  We were booked but then got "covid canceled".  We toyed with the idea of doing our whole Baltics trip just using the ferries, which would have pluses (as many days in each port as you want - not just one) and minuses (packing and unpacking and higher expenses for hotels and food).  Also, the sail out down Oslo fjord is supposed to be very nice.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:59 AM, SSBrickNJ said:

https://www.dfds.com/en/passenger-ferries/ferry-crossings/ferry-to-norway/copenhagen-oslo

If you are looking just for itinerary, Hurtigruten is supposed to be the best in terms of being able to get everywhere and see everything in Norway.  You lose all the benefits of being on a large cruise ship.  We had to go with Cunard because they had a kids club for my the 2 year old, but doing a whole trip with Hurtigruten is something to consider if you can give up the amenities of a cruise ship (it sails to the different ports in Norway and lets you customize your itinerary, but you lose all the entertainment options of a cruise ship.

Of the ports I visited, Geiranger, Flam and Olden were my favorite.  Norway is a really special cruise and I hope you have a wonderful time!

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:05 AM, SSBrickNJ said:

I've booked a HAL Cruise from Copenhagen to Norway and then back to Copenhagen. Aug. 2,2023 to Aug. 9, 2023

The problem is that flights form our area airports Newark NJ (EWR ) or Philadelphia (PHL) are so expensive.

Yet flights into Norway itself are a much greater value.

Are there cruises that leave FROM and return to Norway?

We would like our cruise to start no earlier than August 1st and it must conclude by August 18th.

A 7 night cruise would be perfect but I'm open to learn about slightly longer. Certainly NOT a 2 week cruise though.

HAL cruises would be good but I'd entertain suggestions from other cruise lines as well.

18 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

If you are looking just for itinerary, Hurtigruten is supposed to be the best in terms of being able to get everywhere and see everything in Norway.  You lose all the benefits of being on a large cruise ship.  We had to go with Cunard because they had a kids club for my the 2 year old, but doing a whole trip with Hurtigruten is something to consider if you can give up the amenities of a cruise ship (it sails to the different ports in Norway and lets you customize your itinerary, but you lose all the entertainment options of a cruise ship.

Of the ports I visited, Geiranger, Flam and Olden were my favorite.  Norway is a really special cruise and I hope you have a wonderful time!

It is important to remember that allthough Hurtigruten have numerous stops along the Norwegian coast, many of the stops are only 20-30 minutes long and also several stops in the middle of the night. And the longest stops are in Tromso and Trondheim - but still no longer than max. 3-4 hours. 

After all the Hurtigruten is mainly "public transportation along the coast" - and it is also important to note what you is pointed out by kitkat343: Not a cruise ship and no entertainment on board. 

Even though Hurtigruten sails close to the coast most of the way, offering amazing views of stunning nature "everywhere" - it can get a bit "boring" after a few days...?

I believe the OP is better off with the Norway cruise they have already booked. 🙂

Greetings from

a native Norwegian, living in Norway.

6 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

It is important to remember that allthough Hurtigruten have numerous stops along the Norwegian coast, many of the stops are only 20-30 minutes long and also several stops in the middle of the night. And the longest stops are in Tromso and Trondheim - but still no longer than max. 3-4 hours. 

After all the Hurtigruten is mainly "public transportation along the coast" - and it is also important to note what you is pointed out by kitkat343: Not a cruise ship and no entertainment on board. 

Even though Hurtigruten sails close to the coast most of the way, offering amazing views of stunning nature "everywhere" - it can get a bit "boring" after a few days...?

I believe the OP is better off with the Norway cruise they have already booked. 🙂

Greetings from

a native Norwegian, living in Norway.

Yes I CURRENTLY plan to stay with the cruise I have already booked.

We are exploring various ways to get to the start of that cruise.

We are currently considering flying from New Jersey to Iceland then on to Copenhagen.

or...

Flying from New Jersey to Dublin Ireland....then on to Copenhagen.

..................both of these options I just mentioned are cheaper than a direct flight from New Jersey to Copenhagen.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, SSBrickNJ said:

Maybe, but I am very experienced at picking people's brains on Tripadvisor or Cruise Critic and then arranging things myself. I am willing to work hard on the internet.

OK, then why didn't you just got to the NCL web site, click on "find a cruise" and then click on "Port of Departure" and pick the two Norwegian ports:

image.png.d4544a48378559e41eeaee3e46656021.png

43 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

OK, then why didn't you just got to the NCL web site, click on "find a cruise" and then click on "Port of Departure" and pick the two Norwegian ports:

image.png.d4544a48378559e41eeaee3e46656021.png

NCL has two choices in August:  11 days and  14 days .

I need a cruise that is 9 days or less and the 7 days that I have already booked is ideal.

I'm just keeping what I have. Holland America 8/2 thru 8/9.

Thank you for taking the time to post on my thread.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

On 1/9/2023 at 9:05 PM, SSBrickNJ said:

Hal goes out of AMS for Norway and there is a couple of non stop flights.  And yes they are expensive to either city as it is seasonal travelling.  I was not able to get non stop to Copehagen 4 years ago.

All flights went through the hectic Heathrow.   

I have seen a few ships leave from Iceland too.

• Thanks 1