Art Auction Query

GizmoCat

Hi everyone, in spite of having been on quite a few NCL cruises I have never attended the art auction.  Although I have no intention of buying anything, can anyone tell me what it actually involves - is it just as it says ie people bid for paintings or is it more interesting and worth going along to?

You show up and register. They let you in and you can grab free “champagne.” Dude will give a speech telling you why owning art is wonderful and how awesome Park West is. Then you get to wonder around and look at the art. Be sure to grab another champagne or mimosa. Then the auction starts. A paining comes out. We learn a little about the painting. Some quick bids and on to the next. High energy, but no pressure to bid or buy. They mix up the auctions with raffles and special auctions. Can get boring if it goes on too long, but I find them to be goofy entertainment. Plus, did I mention the free “champagne”?

• Like 1

I thoroughly enjoy the auctions.  The first time I went, I bought a piece.  I haven't bought one since, but it's still fun.  They give a little history of the artwork and artists which I find interesting.  The only thing that's irritating is that Peter Max seems to be their focal point, and his paintings... they don't do it for me.  But some people love them, and good for them!

We go on every cruise.   Usually it's just for the free champagne, but the auctioneer can absolutely make it or break it.   For example, we were on the Getaway last month and Adrian was the man with the gavel.   He was EXCELLENT.   He actually got my teenage son interested in art.   We went to every auction they held.     

It's fun, it's free, and it's indoors on cold/wet sea days.   

If you go just don't think there are any deals. Mostly overpriced.  I also found it to be a hard sales pitch once you've shown any interest.   It may be entertaining and "free" champagne, but if you've got the beverage package it's free anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GizmoCat said:

Hi everyone, in spite of having been on quite a few NCL cruises I have never attended the art auction.  Although I have no intention of buying anything, can anyone tell me what it actually involves - is it just as it says ie people bid for paintings or is it more interesting and worth going along to?

It's all a show. In order to get people interested in pieces and excited about bidding, the auctioneer will introduce each piece, give you a story about the artist, talk about why the piece is relevant. You get contemporary art history. We normally go, but never buy anything. 

If you may buy something on a cruise, pre-register for a $100 bid credit and maybe some swag. The credit is good for a limited type of art piece. 

Auctions Pre-Registration (parkwestgallery.com)

• Like 1

It's entertaining, free booze.  However, if you show an interest in something you may be able to negotiate a better deal outside the auction - think buying a car, starting to walk away.  You may win a "free" lithograph but will have to pay shipping. They do have exclusive works for some of the artists they represent, most are limited editions and you'll get yours shipped from Miami after you get home, not the one from the ship.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:19 AM, GizmoCat said:

It is a fake auction for non-art.  They sell giclee pieces (copies printed on computer printer) and refer to them as "original" art.  They have very very little or no value what so ever and can be had at most outlets that sell posters (that is all they are) for about $10 or so.   After the 'sale' they try very hard with extremely high pressure tactics to sell you on a several hundred dollar frame as well.  The best thing to do with the 'art' gallery si to keep on walking by it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:40 AM, julig22 said:

It's entertaining, free booze.  However, if you show an interest in something you may be able to negotiate a better deal outside the auction - think buying a car, starting to walk away.  You may win a "free" lithograph but will have to pay shipping. They do have exclusive works for some of the artists they represent, most are limited editions and you'll get yours shipped from Miami after you get home, not the one from the ship.

They are only limited to the number they print off using their computer printers.  With VERY few exceptions, they sell giclee pieces.  Your statement that they ship a copy form Miami shows that.  If what you buy is an original piece of art there are no copies.  The 'art' gallery basically sells computer printed posters that are copies uf (very loosely used) art.  Next time you are there if you even mention the word giclee, they will get very angry and stomp away...

• Haha 1

Every auction I’ve been to recently has been very clear what you are getting: one-of-a-kind art, prints, etc. And there hasn’t been a hint they you are buying an investment. I suspect Park West has been sued too many times and the lawyers have cracked down. 

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

They are only limited to the number they print off using their computer printers.  With VERY few exceptions, they sell giclee pieces.  Your statement that they ship a copy form Miami shows that.  If what you buy is an original piece of art there are no copies.  The 'art' gallery basically sells computer printed posters that are copies uf (very loosely used) art.  Next time you are there if you even mention the word giclee, they will get very angry and stomp away...

I never said they were selling original works of art.  They do have some exclusive contracts so if you want that particular piece, they are the only distributor.

My statement about shipping from Miami was in reference to limited editions.  However, I believe that if you do buy an original it is either shipped back to Miami and reframed before it is shipped to the buyer, or the buyer takes it off the ship themselves.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

I never said they were selling original works of art.  They do have some exclusive contracts so if you want that particular piece, they are the only distributor.

My statement about shipping from Miami was in reference to limited editions.  However, I believe that if you do buy an original it is either shipped back to Miami and reframed before it is shipped to the buyer, or the buyer takes it off the ship themselves.

Limited edition means nothing at all other than they stopped printing off the number of ink jet copies copies until they churn out another however many copiers.  Limited editions of giclee posters are worthless and as I said the can be had ay many places for much less than what PW hypes them for.

Good question and excellent responses.  I have gone to the auction on every cruise and have enjoyed the free drinks and the presentations especially on sea days.  The few lots that I have purchased are not investments but should be considered souvenirs from the trip that you like and would want to hang in your home.  If you like it, can afford it and can get it for a reasonable bid go for it. I have also won a few items in the draws. As with all auctions, set your maximum price for the lot or the auction and do not get caught up in the process.  Enjoy your next adventure.