Canadians sailing to and from Vancouver for Alaska cruise - customs?

sprockie

U.S. immigration and customs at the cruise terminal, part of embarkation. If the cruise is a closed loop and returns to Vancouver, Canada immigration and customs when you disembark. If it's one-way to Alaska, Canada immigration and customs when your return flight arrives in Canada.

If you are flying to Canada, then Customs and Immigration on arrival. If you can use the ArriveCan app or if you have Nexus, it speeds up the process. Departing Vancouver for Alaska, US immigration in the terminal. They have a Nexus desk if you have that card. Last summer, we had to complete Arrive Can before boarding the ship though I think there was some leeway to get help to do it onboard. The result was that on return to Vancouver, there was no Immigration, and customs was simply handing an officer a card supplied by the ship that you had to complete and sign.    From the time I walked off the ship, got my luggage, handed in the card and walked out was about 10 minutes. I don;t know if they are going to use ArriveCan again this summer but it sure speeds things up.

30 minutes ago, Ottawa traveller said:

If you are flying to Canada, then Customs and Immigration on arrival. If you can use the ArriveCan app or if you have Nexus, it speeds up the process. Departing Vancouver for Alaska, US immigration in the terminal. They have a Nexus desk if you have that card. Last summer, we had to complete Arrive Can before boarding the ship though I think there was some leeway to get help to do it onboard. The result was that on return to Vancouver, there was no Immigration, and customs was simply handing an officer a card supplied by the ship that you had to complete and sign.    From the time I walked off the ship, got my luggage, handed in the card and walked out was about 10 minutes. I don;t know if they are going to use ArriveCan again this summer but it sure speeds things up.

The OP is from Canada, flying within Canada.

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

In Vancouver, at the cruise terminal, prior to check-in/embarkation.

So we're Canadians - flying from Ontario to Vancouver, ship leaving from Vancouver and returning to Vancouver but obviously visiting Alaska.  Do we go through customs when we get off the ship in the terminal?  

You will go through usa customs and immigration before you board the ship. As a Canadian, I used an automatic system in the terminal that printed out a slip and I didn't even have to speak to an agent... When the cruise gets back in to vancouver, you will go through Canadian customs and immigration in the port again, which was a very quick process

It’s been quite a while since I last arrived in Vancouver via ship but I believe so.  IIRC, it was no different than flying back to Canada from elsewhere.  You fill out the form and hand it in at the terminal (or the front desk onboard).  But I don’t know if they still have that form where one states how much they spent….; I haven’t left Canada since just before the pandemic!

51 minutes ago, sprockie said:

So we're Canadians - flying from Ontario to Vancouver, ship leaving from Vancouver and returning to Vancouver but obviously visiting Alaska.  Do we go through customs when we get off the ship in the terminal?  

Yes, you will go through Canadian Immigration AND Customs when you return to Canada at Vancouver.

After check-in at the terminal you will proceed downstairs to Security.  Join the snaking line, show your red tag, put your bags on the belt, then walk through the body scanner.  Proceed to US CBP.

Canadians and Americans are directed to one line; all other passport-holders to the World line.  After snaking around for a while, you get to the kiosks.  Scan your passport, answer the Customs questions, take the receipt.  Proceed to the next step of embarkation because you are now done with US CBP.

On the last evening of your cruise you will receive your disembarkation package with a Canada Customs Declaration Card.  Fill that out and bring it with you when disembarking.  Off the ship, pick up your luggage, then hand the declaration card to the officer on your way out.  You are now done with CBSA.

From Mr. Google.....Here is the explanation of the terms Customs and Immigration for those who may not know:

Immigration controls people, who can and cannot come into a country.

Customs control goods, what can and cannot come into a country.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 7:36 PM, sprockie said:

In theory, yes. Our experience on the last three arrivals in Vancouver from Alaska (one on HAL, two on Cunard) was as simple as it gets. We spoke to no-one for immigration and on the HAL voyage we handed the customs declaration card to an officer on the way out.

On the two Cunard voyages we handed the customs declaration in to the purser's office a couple of days before Vancouver . So we simply walked out of the baggage/customs hall. Last year the ArriveCan forms were required but these were checked by the terminal staff at embarkation so there was no change to the seamless arrival procedure.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, sprockie said:

Yes, Canada customs.  Usually short and sweet, hand in your declaration card when disembarking at end of cruise.

At the terminal before boarding you will go through US border security as you are technically going into the US.

As Vancouverites, we have done many Alaska cruises.