Beverage Package - First Time Cruiser

• My apologies but am having a hard time finding an answer to my question.  I have never cruised before and am looking at beverage packages.  I do not drink alcohol so I would just want water and soda.  Do you have to buy a beverage package for that?  You don't get water free anywhere?  Even with your meals?  I will travelling on the Mariner of the Seas.....thanks for your help!

Tap Water, which is distilled and quite good, is free. 

If all you want in addition to water is soda you can get a soda package. If you want to also get mocktails, coffees, milkshakes, etc you can get the refreshment package. OR if you don’t think you’ll drink enough of those to justify the cost you can just purchase as you go. 

• Like 1

Water available from any bar or in buffet.  Buffet has "juices" which are flavored waters and lemonade.  Sodas with soda package (coke, diet, soda water sometimes ginger ale currently $8.99/day) are from a gun, unless the gun isn't working.  Canned sodas are always extra, around $3.50/can with tip.  You can order canned sodas precruise for around $12/6-pack.  You can bring 12 cans onboard.

I don't believe that Mariner has the Coke Freestyle machine that lets you get over 40 flavors with a special cup, so soda package will be limited in what you get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisin_Kat said:
  • My apologies but am having a hard time finding an answer to my question.  I have never cruised before and am looking at beverage packages.  I do not drink alcohol so I would just want water and soda.  Do you have to buy a beverage package for that?  You don't get water free anywhere?  Even with your meals?  I will travelling on the Mariner of the Seas.....thanks for your help!

Also, milk, chocolate milk,  coffee, tea, ice tea, lemonade and several juices are available all day throughout the ship, promenade cafe serves most of these drinks 24/7, all the above are always no charge. Classic Soda package runs about $9 per person per day, a coke at dinner or from a bar runs about $3.50. happy first cruise. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Water available from any bar or in buffet.  Buffet has "juices" which are flavored waters and lemonade.  Sodas with soda package (coke, diet, soda water sometimes ginger ale currently $8.99/day) are from a gun, unless the gun isn't working.  Canned sodas are always extra, around $3.50/can with tip.  You can order canned sodas precruise for around $12/6-pack.  You can bring 12 cans onboard.

I don't believe that Mariner has the Coke Freestyle machine that lets you get over 40 flavors with a special cup, so soda package will be limited in what you get.

You can?????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

You can also take a 12 pack of soda on board with you, in your carry on. 
Since this is your first cruise, I would suggest reading the FAQ’s on the Royal Website.

Or you can bring your own bottled water as well.  We usually take a water bottle and fill as needed as the on board water is pretty good.  We also take an insulated mug for use to carry around coffee/tea or cold drinks i.e iced tea, lemonade, juice etc.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

That's water.  Not soda.

Yep, sorry. I skimmed too fast. I had never noticed the water in my planner before so LOL assumed everyone was as surprised about the water as I was. I don't know anything about ordering soda to cabin, haven't seen that anywhere (just the BIY onboard situation). 

Edited by jbrinkm
  • Like 1

Free /available multiple places around the ship all day: 

- Ice water 

- Tea, iced and hot 

- Lemonade 

- Sometimes fruit punch 

- Coffee 

Free /available at breakfast, but you may take it back to your room: 

- Milk of various types in small cartons 

- Fruit juice 

You can get a soda package for about $8-10/day, which means you can help yourself to soda from the machines around the ship -- or you can ask the bartenders for sodas.  This also gets you soda on the private islands.  You can also buy individual sodas from the bartenders, but I'm not sure the cost.  

You also have the option to bring up to 12 sodas onboard; they can be cans or screw-top sodas.  You must carry these onboard yourself.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 11:12 AM, Cruisin_Kat said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Lots of good information here.

Good information given so far. Just remember that RCI only serves Coke products. You can find information on the various drink packages by logging into the Royal Caribbean website, click on "Plan my cruise". From there you can click on the different tabs to get information on excursions, drink packages etc.  The cost is per person per day, and I believe each person in the room has to purchase a package also.

Someone can help me here, I'm not sure if you have an 18% gratuity added to the soda and refreshment package once you purchase. If you average 1-3 paid refreshments a day, it may be less expensive to purchase your drinks daily vs. a refreshment or soda package. 

Keep asking questions and enjoy your cruise.

4 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Someone can help me here, I'm not sure if you have an 18% gratuity added to the soda and refreshment package once you purchase.

Yes, they add the 18% gratuity on to the package when you purchase it.