Cartagena/Colon/Limon: Detailed Port Reviews Here

elbodans

Hello all! I used this forum when I was planning my cruise--which stopped in Colon but did not transit the canal--so I'd like to return the favor by providing some info for those doing research on the ports of Cartagena, Colon, and Puerto Limon. 

I wrote a whole big destination guide featuring these ports (as well as Ocho Rios and MSC's private island) on my ad-free, promotion-free blog. It's a hobby of mine and you reading these posts benefits me in no way. I simply created this information because I had questions before I sailed and I want to help others plan their trip. 

I hope this is helpful! Happy cruising! 

Cartagena Port Day: http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2023/01/10/pirates-of-the-caribbean-cartagena-by-cruise-ship/

Colon Port Day (Panama Canal by Ferry excursion): http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2023/01/10/transiting-the-panama-canal-by-ferry-an-msc-cruise-ship-excursion/

Puerto Limon Port Day: http://www.suitcasescholar.com/2023/01/10/a-port-day-in-puerto-limon-costa-rica-veragua-rainforest-and-the-tortuguero-canals/

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, elbodans said:

Hello all! I used this forum when I was planning my cruise--which stopped in Colon but did not transit the canal--so I'd like to return the favor by providing some info for those doing research on the ports of Cartagena, Colon, and Puerto Limon. 

I think it would be more useful and appropriate to post your Cartagena and Puerto Limon reviews on the Colombia and Costa Rica boards, respectively.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I think it would be more useful and appropriate to post your Cartagena and Puerto Limon reviews on the Colombia and Costa Rica boards, respectively.

I'm happy to do that. I didn't see those forums on the destination list. I'll search. Thanks. 

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 3:46 PM, elbodans said:

I'm happy to do that. I didn't see those forums on the destination list. I'll search. Thanks. 

It looks like you didn't find the Costa Rica board. Under the Ports of call heading click on "Caribbean and it will list the individual islands of the Caribbean as well as countries or parts of countries with a Caribbean coastline. Or you can just follow this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/120-costa-rica/

On 1/12/2023 at 8:02 PM, njhorseman said:

It looks like you didn't find the Costa Rica board. Under the Ports of call heading click on "Caribbean and it will list the individual islands of the Caribbean as well as countries or parts of countries with a Caribbean coastline. Or you can just follow this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/120-costa-rica/

Thank you! I actually found the Colombia one and then had to go to work and have not had time to return here since. I'll re post the CR one when I can. Thank you for the link! 

did you know of may cruisers who just took a taxi to and from the old city?

Last time we visited cartegena there was a water taxi from port to the old city but that is no longer offered. we want to do our own thing and afraid HOPO tour would limit our time in places. 

9 hours ago, v3cruiser said:

Last time we visited cartegena there was a water taxi from port to the old city but that is no longer offered. we want to do our own thing and afraid HOPO tour would limit our time in places. 

We were just in Cartegena (amazing port terminal with all the birds/animals exhibit) during our October RCI Serenade Panama Canal itinerary. We had no trouble taking a taxi from there to the walled city and back again. Very easy to do and enjoyed our day there.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:30 PM, Ashland said:

We were just in Cartegena (amazing port terminal with all the birds/animals exhibit) during our October RCI Serenade Panama Canal itinerary. We had no trouble taking a taxi from there to the walled city and back again. Very easy to do and enjoyed our day there.

Fantastic to know!

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2023 at 12:18 PM, v3cruiser said:

Yes. Many people I spoke to took a taxi and my BFF I was traveling with took a taxi back--rather than waiting for the return bus offered by her excursion. So yes, I'd say a taxi both ways is the best option. It's not far; the traffic will be crazy in the morning but without traffic it is 15 minutes from the port area to the old city. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 7:23 PM, elbodans said:

Thank you! I actually found the Colombia one and then had to go to work and have not had time to return here since. I'll re post the CR one when I can. Thank you for the link! 

I was able to find your posts, I don’t care where you put it. Thank you.

I get so angry at the people that tell you what you should have done. A lot of times certain boards are not very active.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@elbodans thank you so much for your reviews/blogs!  In November we are sailing on Carnival to Colon, and the ship is not doing a partial transit.  I have been looking for this tour to book, but unfortunately even though Carnival in the past has done this tour, they aren't offering it on our cruise.  It is kind of a disappointment.  At this time they are only offering 6 excursions.  I think that part of the problem is that we are only there from 7 am until 4 pm. 

I have also enjoyed reading your other excursions, we are also stopping at them. 

Thanks again!   

• 4 weeks later...

Question for folks who have taken the Panama Canal before and brought binoculars....or those who did not and wished that they had brought them. What are the pros and cons about bringing them?  If you are recommending to bring them, what would we be looking for that would get missed on not as appreciated with the naked eye?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

• 4 months later...