On board shops experience

Nellypops

I wasn’t impressed at all with the onboard shops last year.  In and out constantly looking to get rid of a large onboard credit, times two being a back to back.The grandchildren did very well with a watch and diamond necklace,both I think over priced.We are not big wine drinkers, but might indulge in fine wines.Not happy to get up extremely early for trips.

Thanks for any comments.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

While the on board price for the watch and  necklace might have been over priced as compared to alternative on land prices I regard anything bought on board w OBC as free so they really were not over priced.

DON

I'd guess the Taittinger was very overpriced compared with a US wine shop, too.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Nothing is free…

Yes but the OBC has been paid for regardless of whether you use it or not.  The OP did not present alternative uses of the OBC.  Perhaps they didn't have anything else that they wanted on board.  They just talked about the excessive prices for the stuff which was still free.  I have bought 3 watches on board that were expensive to burn OBC since neither my wife or I were interested in anything else on board.

DON

• Like 1

13 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Nothing is free…

For some reason included things when booking a cruise seemed to be thought as being a free present from the cruise line. It is not so. 

For example how often people talk about the “complimentary” wines. Even the crew calls them that. Those wines are not “complimentary “. They are INCLUDED in the cruise price. Those of us who are cruising with Azamara since a long time ago, remember that before the cruise went “inclusive “, the cruise prices were much lower. At that time even meals at the specialty restaurants were accessible wit a small cover charge of US 5.

On the first years of including the drinks as part of the cruise price, the wines were also of a better quality of the ones offered now. There was no need to even consider a “premium “ or “ultimate” package.

The shops have been deteriorating over time. Higher prices, lower quality of goods and very limited offer. The OBC offered by the cruise line is supposed to be a benefit for the cruiser similar to lower prices. The OBC motivates cruisers to book the cruise, thinking we have got a good deal. In Azamara we have learned that if you receive an OBC of US 300, that actually the purchasing power you are getting is the half of it (about US 150). A teeshirt costs US 80-90 where in other places will cost between 30-40. Not even the products with the brand of Azamara on it have a good price-value relationship. 

Our lesson learned is to not be fooled by offers  from OBC to be motivated to book a cruise. And to keep in mind that nothing is “complimentary “ and for this reason we have the right to expect good quality drinks in the included package.

With this in mind we return to Azamara because we like the small ship experience and we like the crew who make us feel at home. If the cruise price is right we will continue coming back. 

Ivo

• Like 8

Of course, nothing is "free."  Everyone understands that.  But, if you find yourself with hundreds of OBC dollars remaining late in a cruise, your choice is to let it go to waste or buy overpriced stuff in the shop or spa or on the wine list.  That stuff may not be "free" but there's no additional out-of-pocket cost to you to take the stuff home or consume it on the ship.

• Like 2

Stressing the distinction between 'free' and 'included' proves the adage about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.  If it's included, the cost is already sunk – so taking advantage of it is, in practical terms, free.  Good enough for me, but I'm not a genius philosopher...

• Like 1

“Included in the price” is not free. Free would be if I book an inside cabin and I get a free (non additional payment) upgrade to a balcony cabin. Or if I get a free (again no payment involved) upgrade to the indulgence package. All have a value and “included” does not necessarily means low value. For example the drinks we have got at the now bankrupt Crystal Cruises or at the Yacht Club or at Mein Schiff were all included and of a high value and quality.

Ivi

When you do B2B you automatically get $300 per section, my agent does excellent prices, and also more credit. I’ve got more than enough perfume ect. Spent my life in the trade.  Suites you can dine in special restaurant every night. We only drink fine wines, so the plonk they serve is bearable.

We enjoy Azamara, I just don’t understand the overpriced tat in the shops.

Nothing is for free, all payed for.

Edited by Nellypops
  • Like 1

I am in agreement with Ivi on this:

"On the first years of including the drinks as part of the cruise price, the wines were also of a better quality of the ones offered now. There was no need to even consider a “premium “ or “ultimate” package."

That is my recollection also.  And, we were quite pleased with those offerings as our first cruise with Azamara was prior to included wines - we were happy cruisers with those early wines.

Re. OBC, let's not forget that shore excursions are available for purchase with OBC and having looked at the list for my next cruise, Yikes!  Now, there are some prices that have in many cases doubled over the identical excursions pre-Covid.  We aren't looking at a large amount of OBC, ergo, we are definitely looking at private excursions for our future cruise.

• Like 1

We were on a B2B in late Oct-Nov.   On the first leg we had about $600 in OBC and $1700 on the 2nd leg.   

On the first leg we booked 2 excursions, a upgraded internet package and a specialty restaurant to use it up.  We don't drink so beverage packages don't figure into our spending. We also checked out the shops on this first leg to figure out how we might use our OBC on the next leg.  The choices in the shop were limited at best, and in many cases, overpriced.   Especially in the jewelry shop, which had few customers. 

On the 2nd leg, most of the excursions offered were not very appealing.   We booked a 3 table specialty dining and 3 shore excursions. We also arranged for a private transfer at the end of the cruise.  It was booked at an exorbitant rate but our OBC was covering it.  (turns out they sent a luxury van for 6 when we only needed a less expensive sedan for 2).  We still had hundreds of OBC left.

We were notified of a cancellation of one tour at the beginning of the cruise, and a substitute excursion was cheaper, so our remaining OBC pot increased again.  On this leg it appeared that most of the ship also had lots of OBC.  And we had several late nights in port, so the shops opened very late.  I decided to go early in the cruise to buy a certain Coach handbag, hoping it would still be available.  People were hovering around the shops and literally stormed in as they opened each night.  That was a bit unsettling for an Azamara cruise.   

The night I went, they had rearranged most of the merchandise from the night before, but I was able to purchase the Coach handbag I had decided to buy.   It was the same price as Coach sells it for in the US.  

However, we had a port change near the end of the cruise, resulting in another cancelled shore excursion, so more OBC back in our account.  Luckily, the shops were still going to be open that night.  We bought a shirt for my husband (yes, overpriced), and some L'Occitane product (same price as in US).  All OBC spent.

Only the Coach bag met the VAT refund threshold, but after Azamara's cut and the airport refund office cut of that (still confusing), I did get about $53 USD back.  

Would we prefer lower prices to all this? Yes, we would.  The amount of OBC Azamara handed out last year in some promotions was crazy.  How to use it becomes a challenge. And as far as using OBC for shore excursions, we found many of the options on our cruises to be mundane and overpriced, so we booked a number of private excursions.  But we also weren't about to leave the OBC on the table, so to speak.   Was the merchandise "free"?  Well, in the sense of "use it or lose it", to us it was.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What I just do not get is why so many people get overstressed if they do not get a good shopping experience on a cruise.  Is shopping the only reason that they go on the ship.  Seems to me that the experience of visiting interesting places should trump the need to shop any day.  Although I personally am not interested in doing many of the on ship experiences even though should be more important than what merchandise the  stores on board the ship carry.

Now I realize that that if you have a lot of OBC your have to get rid of it somehow.  I have bought 3 or 4 fairly expensive for me watches on board and my wife has also bought one or two.   But if not for unused OBC the amount of money I would spend at any of the on board stores would be zero.  

Even wandering around shops on land is to me a waste of time.  I do try to buy some local art or craft items on cruises but I never ever set foot in the large tourist oriented shop.

Different strokes etc. I guess.  The ships would not waste on large amounts of on board space if they did not generate a lot a revenue.

DON

5 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What I just do not get is why so many people get overstressed if they do not get a good shopping experience on a cruise.  Is shopping the only reason that they go on the ship.  Seems to me that the experience of visiting interesting places should trump the need to shop any day.  Although I personally am not interested in doing many of the on ship experiences even though should be more important than what merchandise the  stores on board the ship carry.

Now I realize that that if you have a lot of OBC your have to get rid of it somehow.  I have bought 3 or 4 fairly expensive for me watches on board and my wife has also bought one or two.   But if not for unused OBC the amount of money I would spend at any of the on board stores would be zero.  

Even wandering around shops on land is to me a waste of time.  I do try to buy some local art or craft items on cruises but I never ever set foot in the large tourist oriented shop.

Different strokes etc. I guess.  The ships would not waste on large amounts of on board space if they did not generate a lot a revenue.

DON

This has only become a major issue since Azamara started using $1,000 OBC as a prime marketing offer.  If you book under one of their other typical offers [double upgrade; or 50% off second passenger – assuming you aren't booking as a single!] it doesn't arise.  Our last Azamara cruise was the first one with that OBC offer, and after they added a nice credit for moving from Venice to Ravenna, plus the OBC that comes with a CW suite, plus my TA getting them to give us credit for losing a beverage package – we ended up with over $3,000 OBC on a 12-night cruise.  Try to use that without shopping, if you don't drink!!!  [Thankfully I do drink, so I was able to help out there 😉.  But I recognize the pain for those who don't.]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other reason certainly guests in the UK have an issue is that many times under the terms and conditions price drops become obc if Azamara recognise them so obc feels like real money. Hence why we did far more high value excursions etc in September and October. 

• Like 2

As well as in the shops, for excursions, and for specialty restaurants, OBC can be used for beverages that aren’t included, in the Sanctum for services - nails, hair, massage, for Wifi, and for laundry. If it’s refundable, you can donate to the Crew Welfare fund.

I spent a fair amount in both shops on the Onward last fall and the prices I paid for a watch, a couple of Coach bags, Azamara branded men’s and women’s shirts were no more than I’d expect to pay anywhere. The quality was excellent.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Melissaghoti said:

As well as in the shops, for excursions, and for specialty restaurants, OBC can be used for beverages that aren’t included, in the Sanctum for services - nails, hair, massage, for Wifi, and for laundry. If it’s refundable, you can donate to the Crew Welfare fund.

I spent a fair amount in both shops on the Onward last fall and the prices I paid for a watch, a couple of Coach bags, Azamara branded men’s and women’s shirts were no more than I’d expect to pay anywhere. The quality was excellent.

If it's refundable, you get cash back.

• Like 1