Dinner on the Edge

SunnyAJ

Has anyone done Dinner on the Edge on Celebrity Apex (or other Edge ship) recently? It's available for booking for our cruise on the website, but I can't find too much information and would love to find out any or all of the following answers! 

1. What is the menu?
  2. It doesn't give a date - I know they assign this on board, but is it typically a sea day or port day? 
  3. What happens if you already have another specialty restaurant booked for the same night, or if a port day, what if you have a conflicting excursion? 
  4. What time does it start usually? 
  5. Do you love it? 😃

Thanks in advance for your help!! 

44 minutes ago, SunnyAJ said:

Has anyone done Dinner on the Edge on Celebrity Apex (or other Edge ship) recently? It's available for booking for our cruise on the website, but I can't find too much information and would love to find out any or all of the following answers! 

1. What is the menu
  2. It doesn't give a date - I know they assign this on board, but is it typically a sea day or port day? 
  3. What happens if you already have another specialty restaurant booked for the same night, or if a port day, what if you have a conflicting excursion? 
  5. Do you love it? 😃

Thanks in advance for your help!! 

Menus change daily and are very similar across the fleet. SmMany posts here or easiest to Google Celebrity dinner menus.

You can get a fixed time to dine after you board or simply pick a time each night.

In the MDR if you have a fixed time we simply let our waiter know we will not be there on a given night.  If dine my way - they won't know if you eat elsewhere.

Guessing "it" is dinner - usually 5:30.  Tends to be busy till about 7pm

We like the food in the MDR.   Not as good as pre Covid on a recent cruise but both service and food were better than Princess recently. 

• Like 1

I should have explained more. This is not any dinner but the Specialty Dining called "Dinner on the Edge". This is the experience of dining at the top of the Magic Carpet. Unfortunately, it's not letting me edit my original post, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has done this specialty dining experience on the Magic Carpet on the Edge-class ships? Thank you!!

1. What is the menu?
  5. Do you love it? 😃
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Menus change daily and are very similar across the fleet. SmMany posts here or easiest to Google Celebrity dinner menus.

You can get a fixed time to dine after you board or simply pick a time each night.

In the MDR if you have a fixed time we simply let our waiter know we will not be there on a given night.  If dine my way - they won't know if you eat elsewhere.

Guessing "it" is dinner - usually 5:30.  Tends to be busy till about 7pm

We like the food in the MDR.   Not as good as pre Covid on a recent cruise but both service and food were better than Princess recently. 

Sorry! I didn't explain very well - I've updated my original post with another. I always love the food on Celebrity too!! 

The captain will choose the date and time for the dinner based on meteorological conditions. Wind and rain can make the experience less than ideal. They tend to do it with quiet waters or in port if you are there late enough.

It is a specialty menu, and the service is excellent (as is the food). I put it on par with the Chefs table in terms of quality. It is expensive to many, and you can simulate the outdoor dining experience by eating at Rooftop Garden if you prefer 🙂 

• Like 2

We did this dinner on Edge last month. There was one day where we were in port until 11 pm, and it was held that night. They stagger arrival times in either 15- or 30-minute increments, beginning at 6 pm. The early arrivals obviously were assigned the table right next to the edge of the platform, and then there was another row of tables next to those - most of them were tables for two, and the later arrivals were seated there.

I've attached the menu used on our sailing. They serve each of the appetizers in sequence, and then the entrees served on a platter family-style, and then all 3 desserts as a sampler with a plate for each guest.

Honestly, we weren't as impressed as we expected. The setting was incredible, and the service was of course wonderful. But the food was just so-so. They use the pool-burger restaurant (Waves?) around the corner for staging and cooking, and most of the food came out lukewarm at best. We're glad we did it, but we canceled our reservation for our May cruise on Beyond. The food and menu in Luminae were superior. Your call if it's worth a try, but think about the cost and what you'd get in a land-based restaurant for that amount.

If you have another specialty restaurant booked, it's on you to cancel or re-schedule it. Let me know if you have other questions. (We found scant info when we were deciding last year.)

MC menu.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

The captain will choose the date and time for the dinner based on meteorological conditions. Wind and rain can make the experience less than ideal. They tend to do it with quiet waters or in port if you are there late enough.

It is a specialty menu, and the service is excellent (as is the food). I put it on par with the Chefs table in terms of quality. It is expensive to many, and you can simulate the outdoor dining experience by eating at Rooftop Garden if you prefer 🙂 

I did not dine on Magic Carpet but on my recent cruise, I met a couple who did and they loved it, said it was on a par with Eden.

• Like 1

I asked the same question last month and after looking at the menu, price point, and the fact are in no ports past 6:00 I canceled my booking.  Here is the link to the previous thread although it doesn't contain much more than this one does.

Edited by garyl62
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

Thank you! That's the one thing I have seen about the weather. I guess just cross my fingers!! 

3 hours ago, garyl62 said:

I asked the same question last month and after looking at the menu, price point, and the fact are in no ports past 6:00 I canceled my booking.  Here is the link to the previous thread although it doesn't contain much more than this one does.

Oh, thank you so much! This thread was helpful. We are in Puerto Rico late, although have planned excursions. I wonder what time this will turn out to be. Maybe I'm too much of a planner. Lol! 

5 hours ago, Needzavacation said:

We did this dinner on Edge last month. There was one day where we were in port until 11 pm, and it was held that night. They stagger arrival times in either 15- or 30-minute increments, beginning at 6 pm. The early arrivals obviously were assigned the table right next to the edge of the platform, and then there was another row of tables next to those - most of them were tables for two, and the later arrivals were seated there.

I've attached the menu used on our sailing. They serve each of the appetizers in sequence, and then the entrees served on a platter family-style, and then all 3 desserts as a sampler with a plate for each guest.

Honestly, we weren't as impressed as we expected. The setting was incredible, and the service was of course wonderful. But the food was just so-so. They use the pool-burger restaurant (Waves?) around the corner for staging and cooking, and most of the food came out lukewarm at best. We're glad we did it, but we canceled our reservation for our May cruise on Beyond. The food and menu in Luminae were superior. Your call if it's worth a try, but think about the cost and what you'd get in a land-based restaurant for that amount.

If you have another specialty restaurant booked, it's on you to cancel or re-schedule it. Let me know if you have other questions. (We found scant info when we were deciding last year.)

MC menu.jpg

This is VERY helpful! I think the menu sounds delicious. Too bad about the temperature, but it does sound very good. And you get to try everything?? 🙂 

We have excursions in Puerto Rico, so it sounds like I might want to be prepared to cancel them if need be. We are also in a suite (which sounds like you were as well?) so hopefully the butler can help with that too. The view just sounds so inviting!

It's been really hard to find information on it, so thank you!! 

21 hours ago, SunnyAJ said:

This is VERY helpful! I think the menu sounds delicious. Too bad about the temperature, but it does sound very good. And you get to try everything?? 🙂 

We have excursions in Puerto Rico, so it sounds like I might want to be prepared to cancel them if need be. We are also in a suite (which sounds like you were as well?) so hopefully the butler can help with that too. The view just sounds so inviting!

It's been really hard to find information on it, so thank you!! 

Yes, you get EVERYTHING!!!!  That was not clear to us when we booked it.  We are not fish eaters and there was a massive seafood tower in the appetizer section.  There was also Charcuterie so we just assumed we would pick that and be happy.  We enjoyed the dinner but we really threw them off when we asked than not to bring the seafood tower or the lobster entree.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, natshala said:

I just got off a B2B on Beyond and this is the first I’ve heard of this. How do you get a reservation? What is the cost? Thanks.

It is listed on our cruise app. It’s definitely not cheap, but sounds like an amazing experience! 

3 hours ago, Daneenm said:

Yes, you get EVERYTHING!!!!  That was not clear to us when we booked it.  We are not fish eaters and there was a massive seafood tower in the appetizer section.  There was also Charcuterie so we just assumed we would pick that and be happy.  We enjoyed the dinner but we really threw them off when we asked than not to bring the seafood tower or the lobster entree.

Amazing!! That’s a funny story. The seafood tower sounds amazing for us seafood lovers. But I’d love the charcuterie too!! 

2 hours ago, sn2792 said:

We have it booked for our cruise on Edge 1/23 cruise. We are in Aruba for an overnight. So I assume it will be on that night. Menu looks delicious. 

That will be an amazing view! Enjoy! Would love to hear how I you liked it. 

On 1/12/2023 at 1:47 PM, Needzavacation said:

MC menu.jpg

Thank you for all this info. I have some questions: does the price include all the items on the menu or is there an up charge for certain items such as the sea food tower? Is there a wine pairing? If so, is it covered by the price or by the classic drink package? If you book pre-cruise and then the dinner is scheduled for a port day when you have a previous commitment ( not through the ship) can you cancel for a full refund?  

thanks for any information you can provide 

20 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you for all this info. I have some questions: does the price include all the items on the menu or is there an up charge for certain items such as the sea food tower? Is there a wine pairing? If so, is it covered by the price or by the classic drink package? If you book pre-cruise and then the dinner is scheduled for a port day when you have a previous commitment ( not through the ship) can you cancel for a full refund?  

thanks for any information you can provide 

I think I can answer some of your questions - a few were answered on this thread. I had pretty much the same questions! It’s seems like if you have a conflicting reservation, it is up to you to change it. I know I’ve heard they are pretty accommodating since they want you to enjoy (purchase) both. The night we are in port, I’m going to quickly make my excursion/other specialty reservation decisions as soon as I find out our reservation time for the Dinner on the Edge/Magic Carpet. 

As for the meal, I’d assume there aren’t up charges (usually it would be listed on the menu and I don’t see any.) and from the sounds of it, you get to try everything listed!! I’d also guess whatever wine package you already have would kick in. ((Again, since not on the menu - which was great to have a picture of here. Really looks delicious!) 

Hope that helps some!!

21 hours ago, sn2792 said:

$129 per person

That is high, we can dine in our home city at a 4- or 5-star fine dining restaurant for less than that. We will be on the Apex in September, and I think we will pass on trying it. 

2 hours ago, SunnyAJ said:

I think I can answer some of your questions - a few were answered on this thread. I had pretty much the same questions! It’s seems like if you have a conflicting reservation, it is up to you to change it. I know I’ve heard they are pretty accommodating since they want you to enjoy (purchase) both. The night we are in port, I’m going to quickly make my excursion/other specialty reservation decisions as soon as I find out our reservation time for the Dinner on the Edge/Magic Carpet. 

As for the meal, I’d assume there aren’t up charges (usually it would be listed on the menu and I don’t see any.) and from the sounds of it, you get to try everything listed!! I’d also guess whatever wine package you already have would kick in. ((Again, since not on the menu - which was great to have a picture of here. Really looks delicious!) 

Hope that helps some!!

Thanks so much. Its pricey but I’m tempted to try it since it seems like something special that we would do only once. I think it might be on the day that we are overnight in Aruba and I made a reservation at a beachfront restaurant so I’ll have to decide which I would prefer to do. I’m so lucky to have this type of problem! Life is short and we’ve worked hard so, yes, we want to enjoy every opportunity that we can.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That is high, we can dine in our home city at a 4- or 5-star fine dining restaurant for less than that. We will be on the Apex in September, and I think we will pass on trying it. 

I think it is high also and I live in New York which is crazy expensive. I’m on the fence but may go for it, at least once in my cruising career lol. 

36 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thanks so much. Its pricey but I’m tempted to try it since it seems like something special that we would do only once. I think it might be on the day that we are overnight in Aruba and I made a reservation at a beachfront restaurant so I’ll have to decide which I would prefer to do. I’m so lucky to have this type of problem! Life is short and we’ve worked hard so, yes, we want to enjoy every opportunity that we can.

I love that and feel the same way! It definitely sounds like a truly special experience. That’s why I’m excited for it too. We’ve taken many Celebrity cruises and I love finding that extra special event for memories. Aruba on the beach sounds wonderful too. I wouldn’t cancel that until you are sure this one is a go - I’ve heard it can get cancelled if the weather is less than ideal. But if ideal, would be so much fun! 

• Like 1