Suite Perks on HAL??

BCHappyGal

I have not sailed HAL for several years 

What perks are offered for suite guests?  

Do they make the extra $$ to upgrade from a balcony to a suite worth it?

To get good perks do you have to book the top suite of do all suites get the same suite class perks?

12 minutes ago, BCHappyGal said:

I have not sailed HAL for several years 

What perks are offered for suite guests?  

Do they make the extra $$ to upgrade from a balcony to a suite worth it?

To get good perks do you have to book the top suite of do all suites get the same suite class perks?

The suite perks are best listed on the Holland America website (for complete information).

Basically, only the Neptune and Penthouse suites get perks that are worth anything (IMO).

The value of the perks depend on your situation and desires, so tough question to answer.

The best deal (IMO) is to book a lower level cabin (like a mini suite) and then watch for an upsell offer to a Neptune.  We have done this on MANY cruises and have gotten some nice deals, but we do tend to travel during the slower times so cabins are avialable.

• Like 1

The  biggest perk of Neptune (and Pinnacle Suite) besides being larger is the concierge and lounge, however the lounge has changed over the years (not for the better). Now you are better off booking a veranda, Vista suite, signature suite (depends on ship) and paying for Club Orange to get special service line and separate restaurant on Pinnacle ships. We found we no longer needed the space in Neptune Suite but sometimes will book one (or upgrade) depending on the itinerary and length of cruise. And if you are five star Mariner, you have additional benefits not needed for Neptune (embarkation, tender, discounts, etc) unless the cruise is heavy with 5 star members (like Grand Cruises). 

9 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Thank you for that information comparison.   We have a Signature Suite booked for our next cruise.   Is the room Mimi bar complementary, or at a charge?   We have the signature drink plan. 

4 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

Thank you for that information comparison.   We have a Signature Suite booked for our next cruise.   Is the room Mimi bar complementary, or at a charge?   We have the signature drink plan. 

As mentioned, a charge for the mini bar.  However, if you do get a Neptune suite the beverages in the Neptune Lounge can be used with you drink plan (check with the host first as this can vary by ship).  What you can do is take some drinks (limited selection naturally) from the Lounge and put them in the minibar!  I would have the room stewards empty your mini bar first to be safe.

Thank you so much for your detailed review of the perks... 

Sounds like it is really not worth the money to upgrade if one can buy Club Orange....

Think I will stick with my existing preferred line you provide all perks to all levels of suites...

The Vista "Suite" would be a standard balcony cabin on most other lines.  They get away with the "Suite" deal because there are so few balconies on the smaller Zaandam-size ships.  We booked it and it was pretty much double the same size interior room, but got HIA included other than "crew appreciation" so it works for us.

Given the reduction of upsold suite amenities and privileges it's better to slap leather for what you really want - whether it's extra night(s) at Pinnacle or extra tally for your favorite single malt.  HIA is a pretty good deal IMO but a lot of the Club Orange and Neptune "extras" are hot garbage and not worth the money nowadays.

That is sort of what I am seeing

My favorite perks are the "Laundry" and the suite only dinning room & lounge... the other perks I can definitely live without... so not seeing that unless I go to top tier and on one of the newer ships and the itinerary I like is on an older ship....

1 hour ago, BCHappyGal said:

That is sort of what I am seeing

My favorite perks are the "Laundry" and the suite only dinning room & lounge... the other perks I can definitely live without... so not seeing that unless I go to top tier and on one of the newer ships and the itinerary I like is on an older ship....

You can certainly eat at a specialty restaurant every night and pay for laundry for much less than what you would pay for a Neptune Suite.

I prefer the Signature suites which are much more budget friendly but bigger than the Vista or balcony cabins. The only "perk" in Signature suites are double mariner points.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sea42 said:

You can certainly eat at a specialty restaurant every night and pay for laundry for much less than what you would pay for a Neptune Suite.

I prefer the Signature suites which are much more budget friendly but bigger than the Vista or balcony cabins. The only "perk" in Signature suites are double mariner points.

Well at least you are getting double points... Know I have some Mariner points but do not know how many... will have to try to figure out how to check on that....

3 minutes ago, BCHappyGal said:

Well at least you are getting double points... Know I have some Mariner points but do not know how many... will have to try to figure out how to check on that....

If you have a log in for the HAL website you can see the number under My Account. Even if you just sign up for an account on the website, they will ask for your name, date of birth etc and your previous cruises will show based on that info.

14 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

The only "perk" with a signature suite is getting to pay a higher rate for tips (which HAL calls "Crew Appreciation").  Bottom line is when pay more money for a Signature Suite you should be honored to pay an extra $1.50 per person/day for tips.    Do you get better or more service for that extra money?  Nope.

Hank

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The only "perk" with a signature suite is getting to pay a higher rate for tips (which HAL calls "Crew Appreciation").  Bottom line is when pay more money for a Signature Suite you should be honored to pay an extra $1.50 per person/day for tips.    Do you get better or more service for that extra money?  Nope.

Hank

Nope but it's a bigger room to clean. For an extra $20 or $30 a cruise I'm OK with that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Midwest Sunseeker said:

No the mini bar is not complimentary. We request that the cabin attendant remove everything from the minibar. We then stock it with sodas and beers that we pick up at the bars that are included in our beverage package. We also put a white wine in there that we get with the wine package that we purchase.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sea42 said:

We request that the cabin attendant remove everything from the minibar. We then stock it with sodas and beers that we pick up at the bars that are included in our beverage package. 

That is a useful tip. I have never been on a cruise before so maybe a stupid question: when you order a soda at a bar you always get a can? And they don't open it for you so you can just take it with you and drink whenever you want?

If you have the beverage package you can ask for a soda or beer at the bar (I've asked for two at a time and were given them with a smile).  Just ask them for unopened.  You can put it in your room mini fridge if you want.

I think you will love the cruise experience!!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, oakridger said:

If you have the beverage package you can ask for a soda or beer at the bar (I've asked for two at a time and were given them with a smile).  Just ask them for unopened.  You can put it in your room mini fridge if you want.

I think you will love the cruise experience!!

~Nancy

I routinely make my rounds up and down deck 2/3 getting 2 cans at a time from each of our key cards on embarkation day in the evening. If needed I will swing by the lido bar before going back and starting the circuit again until I have enough sodas for the next day or two. After that we just keep getting 2 at a time here and there to maximize the drink package and keep the mini bar full (we always have it emptied). Have never had a problem getting 2 drinks per card - even if I go by myself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrigleydawg said:

Could someone explain what a “non host” mini bar is in the signature suites?  It is listed as a benefit. We will be on the Noordam. Thanks

I found the following explanation on Google: 
 "The term no-host mini-bar indicates that the beverages in your in-room refrigerator are at an additional cost and reflect on your onboard bill at the end of your cruise." 

Hi @Wrigleydawgand welcome to Cruise Critic!  Oops....I am just now typing when @firsttimer1971posted!

It means the same thing as the term "No Host" which is what I have heard all my life here in the US. Drinks in the mini bar include a few soft drinks, beers, small wines and currently a few premixed cocktails.  I don't remember exactly the type of cocktails because I don't drink them.  

I had a great cruise on the Noordam in 2019 in a signature suite. I love those cabins!   Have fun!

~Nancy

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hi @Wrigleydawgand welcome to Cruise Critic!  Oops....I am just now typing when @firsttimer1971posted!

It means the same thing as the term "No Host" which is what I have heard all my life here in the US. Drinks in the mini bar include a few soft drinks, beers, small wines and currently a few premixed cocktails.  I don't remember exactly the type of cocktails because I don't drink them.  

I had a great cruise on the Noordam in 2019 in a signature suite. I love those cabins!   Have fun!

~Nancy

I also normally book the Signature Suites, but most times (about 80-90%) end up taking an upsell to a Neptune.  This works best on the Vista and Signature CLASS ships.

For completeness, I will mention that non-alcoholic drinks from the mini-bar are free if you stay in a Pinnacle Suite.  And on all ships except Pinnacle-class ships, it is a large refrigerator and not a normal mini-fridge in the Pinnacle Suite.