Reporting from on the Rotterdam January 14 through February 25

iflyrc5

Just an FYI, we got off the Rotterdam on Feb. 4.  Both of us tested positive for COVID on the 7th and still are.  My SIL and one of my trivia team also tested postitive.  In our family group of 6, those who didn't test positive (some of whom just had COVID in November) still came down with very nasty congestion/cough. So I would suggest that there is a strong likelihood that the bug is on the ship and precautions in the theaters, etc. aren't a bad idea. 

My spouse and I wore masks during the shows and on bus excursions and still caught the bug.  You really can't be masked 100% on a cruise, and we're vaccinated and boosted up the wazoo.  We are just starting to feel alive again, so be warned!

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 6:40 AM, 0106 said:

I really liked the ability to access the bow during the scenic cruiseCDCA866C-835D-4D19-A3EE-3C53A7C4C9C4.thumb.jpeg.c88bbab08cba4afc437b2f0809dfa8d9.jpegThank you @iflyrc5 for all of your posts about the Rotterdam!  

Did you notice the "picnic tables" on the bow while you were out there?

We could see them on our tv channel "view from the deck" and wondered if they were ever used.

4 hours ago, Nanner said:

Just an FYI, we got off the Rotterdam on Feb. 4.  Both of us tested positive for COVID on the 7th and still are.  My SIL and one of my trivia team also tested postitive.  In our family group of 6, those who didn't test positive (some of whom just had COVID in November) still came down with very nasty congestion/cough. So I would suggest that there is a strong likelihood that the bug is on the ship and precautions in the theaters, etc. aren't a bad idea. 

My spouse and I wore masks during the shows and on bus excursions and still caught the bug.  You really can't be masked 100% on a cruise, and we're vaccinated and boosted up the wazoo.  We are just starting to feel alive again, so be warned!

Hi Tanner!  Hope you are feeling better.  We disembarked as you did on Saturday and I tested positive for Covid on Tuesday.  We possibly both got Covid while playing Trivia, or perhaps at the lunch we had together at the NY Deli.  Or maybe during the disembarkation process - we will never know.  For me, it was a light case of Covid with the aches and pains the worst.  (DH, DD, and DS never got sick.  Why me???)

I found the photos (posted Feb. 4th and 5th) interesting of the people (more than a few) with covid disembarked separately, along with their luggage with transportation to the airport, etc.   

While we don't eat in the Lido often, I've always found assistance available.  Two weeks ago I wanted one of those wonderful sticky buns for breakfast but tired of walking up and down looking for them.  

I sat down, a steward brought water and I asked him where the sticky buns were.

Instead of telling me where they were, he brought me two of them, along with some butter.

Thank you Bill!  Thank you HAL servers for wonderful "Service with a Smile".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sansterre said:

Did you notice the "picnic tables" on the bow while you were out there?

We could see them on our tv channel "view from the deck" and wondered if they were ever used.

The picnic tables are on deck 4 (we were on deck 5). I was told that is an area for the crew.

• Thanks 1

There is no way to tell this a don't think you'd ever be able to find out  but I'm curious if the people that eat in the Lido for breakfast and lunch end up getting covid more than people that go to the mdr for instance.  I try to spend as little time as possible in the Lido because I can't stand it.  

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is no way to tell this a don't think you'd ever be able to find out  but I'm curious if the people that eat in the Lido for breakfast and lunch end up getting covid more than people that go to the mdr for instance.  I try to spend as little time as possible in the Lido because I can't stand it.  

And I really can't stand the main dining room.  In all my cruises since the restart, neither I nor anyone in my party has caught covid onboard.  We did dinners either specialty or Lido, and never masked except in the old days when it was required by HAL.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

And I really can't stand the main dining room.  In all my cruises since the restart, neither I nor anyone in my party has caught covid onboard.  We did dinners either specialty or Lido, and never masked except in the old days when it was required by HAL.  

Sue/WDW1972

Do you eat breakfast in the lido as well?  

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is no way to tell this a don't think you'd ever be able to find out  but I'm curious if the people that eat in the Lido for breakfast and lunch end up getting covid more than people that go to the mdr for instance. 

Have spent 42 days (5 cruises) onboard HAL ships since the restart; just returned from latest on February 5. Had all but a few breakfasts and lunches plus a few dinners in the Lido. Neither DH nor I came down with COVID or "cruise crud". Used common sense - masked as required and distanced as much as possible on excursions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:52 PM, Catlover54 said:

Does anyone know if it would be permissible for a passenger to bring her own tray to use while on the trip,

I do it every cruise!  Use it in the mornings while foraging for DW's breakfast.  No problems whatsoever.  

• Thanks 1

Nice coffee chat with the navigation officers this morning.  Enjoyed The City at Sea; although it is a canned presentation it was nice to have the department heads come out and say a few words during their part of the presentation.  Also, the Captain ended the presentation with a few words and a sincere thank you while staff members streamed up to the stage.35D018F4-FD27-46D6-BA9F-18C29B23842A.thumb.jpeg.7c0253a12188cc1b9feb64d6ae4f6362.jpeg

The CD said there are almost 2600 passengers on board being served by 984 crew.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Have spent 42 days (5 cruises) onboard HAL ships since the restart; just returned from latest on February 5. Had all but a few breakfasts and lunches plus a few dinners in the Lido. Neither DH nor I came down with COVID or "cruise crud". Used common sense - masked as required and distanced as much as possible on excursions. 

It's encouraging to read these optimistic personal accounts about not having any issues with COVID post start-up. Especially when the folks who didn't have a good experience (contracted COVID) seem to be very forthcoming about relating their experiences.

Hopefully we'll see some more accounts from people with post start-up experience that had no problems at all with COVID.

I know it's the majority that don't, but it seems that mostly the relatively few that do are the most vocal on these threads about it. 😏 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KroozNut said:

It's encouraging to read these optimistic personal accounts about not having any issues with COVID post start-up. Especially when the folks who didn't have a good experience (contracted COVID) seem to be very forthcoming about relating their experiences.

Hopefully we'll see some more accounts from people with post start-up experience that had no problems at all with COVID.

I know it's the majority that don't, but it seems that mostly the relatively few that do are the most vocal on these threads about it. 😏 

I have done three cruises post-Covid and haven’t gotten Covid that I know of. I did get sick at the tail-end of the 16-day Panama Canal on the Zaandam last month. Turned out to be bronchitis, ear infection, and strep throat! Yes, I did have three Covid tests just to be sure. First time I’ve gotten sick from a cruise in the 10 cruises I’ve done. I wear a mask when required, but not otherwise. Unless I was asymptomatic, I’ve never gotten Covid. I got two Moderna shots and one booster. Not getting any more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1