Stateroom change on Epic, is it possible?

Srpellot

So Im sailing on Feb 5 out of San Juan and was assigned a forward balcony cabin. Problem is that my wife is pretty prone to seasickness and I was wondering if I would be able to make a lateral move to a similar cabin but more towards the middle of the ship. I called a week ago and they wanted me to re-book my cruise to change my stateroom for $500 extra. Of course I said no but I was wondering if it's possible at all to make the move. I don't want an upgrade, I just want a cabin towards the middle that can help with my wife's enjoyment of the trip. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 hour ago, Srpellot said:

So Im sailing on Feb 5 out of San Juan and was assigned a forward balcony cabin. Problem is that my wife is pretty prone to seasickness and I was wondering if I would be able to make a lateral move to a similar cabin but more towards the middle of the ship. I called a week ago and they wanted me to re-book my cruise to change my stateroom for $500 extra. Of course I said no but I was wondering if it's possible at all to make the move. I don't want an upgrade, I just want a cabin towards the middle that can help with my wife's enjoyment of the trip. Thanks in advance for any help.

Did you have a guarantee cabin or upgrade? If so you’re probably stuck. 

You might be able to move rooms if you pay to upgrade to a higher category, as long as it costs more than a dollar more than what you paid, unless you have the airfare promo. 

19 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Did you have a guarantee cabin or upgrade? If so you’re probably stuck. 

You might be able to move rooms if you pay to upgrade to a higher category, as long as it costs more than a dollar more than what you paid, unless you have the airfare promo. 

I did not have a guaranteed cabin. I just booked through the website and got assigned a random balcony cabin (never got a chance to actually select anything). That's why I was wondering if I could make a lateral move if there are cabins available (I can go into the website and it still says that there are some balcony cabins that can be booked).

6 minutes ago, Srpellot said:

I did not have a guaranteed cabin. I just booked through the website and got assigned a random balcony cabin (never got a chance to actually select anything). That's why I was wondering if I could make a lateral move if there are cabins available (I can go into the website and it still says that there are some balcony cabins that can be booked).

You probably can move as long as you’re over 2 weeks out, which you are. I’d just be persistent and maybe call multiple times until you get the answer you want. 

Sounds like OP booked a guarantee since he didn’t pick a cabin, or have an option to do so. ATA minimum he is going to have to pay the difference between what he booked and a cabin that he wants in the same category or higher. Sounds like the $500 quoted is a good deal. 

3 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Sounds like OP booked a guarantee since he didn’t pick a cabin, or have an option to do so. ATA minimum he is going to have to pay the difference between what he booked and a cabin that he wants in the same category or higher. Sounds like the $500 quoted is a good deal. 

Why would I have to pay $500 additional when I will get the exact same cabin just in another part of the ship? (Not trying to be a ***** it's just a legitimate question ☹️). I assumed that as long as I didn't get a different cabin category it shouldn't be a problem if it was available. Now, if I wanted to book a bigger cabin I can understand the upgrade price. I'll just try again tomorrow to see if I can get a different answer. 

7 minutes ago, Srpellot said:

Why would I have to pay $500 additional when I will get the exact same cabin just in another part of the ship? (Not trying to be a ***** it's just a legitimate question ☹️). I assumed that as long as I didn't get a different cabin category it shouldn't be a problem if it was available. Now, if I wanted to book a bigger cabin I can understand the upgrade price. I'll just try again tomorrow to see if I can get a different answer. 

Same cabin in another part of the ship doesn't mean the pricing is the same.  So different pricing for fwd, mid, aft - depends on the NCL algorithm for what's more desirable for that ship/that itinerary.

But calling and getting a better answer isn't uncommon either, good luck.

17 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Sounds like OP booked a guarantee since he didn’t pick a cabin, or have an option to do so.

Some ships, for some reason, don't allow the option to pick a specific room when booking certain categories directly through the NCL page.  Maybe based on the itinerary?  IDK.

Look at this screenshot, when booking a balcony stateroom for the March 18-25 Escape cruise from Port Canaveral.  I picked the Balcony option from the pictured list of options.  Suggest which one of those options would allow one to select their stateroom at the time of booking.  The Epic for Feb. 5 has the same result.

I agree with @julig22 - often a forward cabin costs less than a mid-ship cabin.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 9.38.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 9.40.24 PM.png

53 minutes ago, Srpellot said:

Agree with KSSS2013 - we did same as you (booked online, assigned random room), and I called the next day and nice cruise consultant had no issues moving us up a deck (8 to 9) with no extra charge. (And we just booked on the 5th so fairly recently)

Although we didn’t move location in the ship… same area, just up. So the response you got could’ve tied to what others are saying - IE moving forward/aft might mean a price change. But never hurts to try again! I find the consultants are a bit hit and miss. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Srpellot said:

The web site allows you to select your cabin from all available. After initial recommended cabin, there is a link to see what other cabins are available. If you didn’t know how to use the website, you should have used a travel agent or called NCL and let them book it for you. 

That being said, a midship cabin is usually a higher cabin class and would require additional $$$. You would have seen that if you used the website correctly. 

And you are three weeks to departure, so inventory may be dwindling. 

Edited by BirdTravels

8 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

If you don’t know how to select a different one you are stuck with what they give you

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The web site allows you to select your cabin from all available. After initial recommended cabin, there is a link to see what other cabins are available. If you didn’t know how to use the website, you should have used a travel agent or called NCL and let them book it for you.

See the screenshots in my post prior to yours, choosing a cabin is not an option, even when not specifically selecting a guarantee room.  Do tell what option from the list I posted would allow you to book a standard balcony room AND select the room you'd like when booking on the website.

14 minutes ago, hallux said:

See the screenshots in my post prior to yours, choosing a cabin is not an option, even when not specifically selecting a guarantee room.  Do tell what option from the list I posted would allow you to book a standard balcony room AND select the room you'd like when booking on the website.

Yeah, I went again to the site and I couldn't find where to select an exact cabin. I could only select the type of cabin but never a specific one. Maybe if you called them directly that is an option but using the website I just can't see it.

We did our only (never again) balcony guarantee last year on the Breakaway.   Was assigned a forward cabin on deck 9 right near the theater and right above where they play shuffleball so when we go out on the balcony they could see us very clearly.  Also it was a loooong walk to the elevators.  Went to guest services and said I couldn't walk that far and if they had another cabin in the aft near the elevators and close to the dining rooms.  They told me to call back after sailaway which I did.  They then moved us to deck 10 near the back elevators.   This was a perfect location. 

• Like 1

Travel agencies are still showing bookable balconies where you get to choose your stateroom rather than NCL's take what we give you method that they seem to be using quite often lately.   However It looks like there are no mid-ship balconies still available for this sailing.

The balcony category with largest availability is B4 family balcony with 59 available.   They are showing on the "big box" store as well as other travel agency websites.  13206 would probably be my choice.

It is just forward of the aft elevators (23 staterooms from stern) and has a slightly larger balcony.  Bed is by the door which is not my preferred location on the Epic.   Staterooms below and hair salon above which shouldn't be a problem.

Re seasickness ..... I can get sick standing on a dock.  I take one chewable generic bonine (25 mg meclizine) every day when cruising and whenever I need to ride in the back seat or a car or travel on twisty roads.  It works wonderfully for me, I don't get sick and can still drink 🙂.

EDITED TO ADD

went back in and rechecked the TA sites and they are now showing a lot less staterooms available.  However still no mid-ship balconies and 13206 is still available.

Edited by kjquilts
adding something

3 hours ago, hallux said:

IF there are other cabins available in your chosen category you will see the option to choose a different stateroom. Yes, it is easy to miss if you are not used to this website. 

D59DAC53-F25F-4536-80DB-6BDC20A66BAE.jpeg

Edited by HBCcruiser

I have booked many times where a cabin was not available to choose--it was NOT a guarantee, but last minute booking.  I thought that bidding for upgrades might have had a play in the cabin selection.  It DOES happen!  I book all my cruises through the website and then contact my PCC for further details and questions.  One time, he told me that for $15 I could choose my stateroom when that was not an option when booking which I happily did.

1 hour ago, tsahall01 said:

I have booked many times where a cabin was not available to choose--it was NOT a guarantee, but last minute booking.  I thought that bidding for upgrades might have had a play in the cabin selection.  It DOES happen!  I book all my cruises through the website and then contact my PCC for further details and questions.  One time, he told me that for $15 I could choose my stateroom when that was not an option when booking which I happily did.

Slightly off topic but if you do a mock booking and contact your PCC before making any payment, they get credit for the booking.  Of course you can't put a last minute booking on hold but I'm sure your PCC would appreciate any credits you send their way.

As you indicated, working with a PCC can sometimes get you room selection for those " best available" situations.

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

IF there are other cabins available in your chosen category you will see the option to choose a different stateroom. Yes, it is easy to miss if you are not used to this website. 

D59DAC53-F25F-4536-80DB-6BDC20A66BAE.jpeg

Oh, I'm quite familiar (I even used that option when booking my Studio cabin for the Escape in March) and as you can see in my screenshot that option simply wasn't there when selecting a standard balcony (non-family, non-suite) cabin.

Edited by hallux

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Slightly off topic but if you do a mock booking and contact your PCC before making any payment, they get credit for the booking.  Of course you can't put a last minute booking on hold but I'm sure your PCC would appreciate any credits you send their way.

As you indicated, working with a PCC can sometimes get you room selection for those " best available" situations.

After booking, I always contact my PCC so that he does get credit, I just prefer doing my own booking with no pressure to upgrade or change unless it is something I want or need.  But a good point.  Those guys, for the most work really hard

Just now, tsahall01 said:

After booking, I always contact my PCC so that he does get credit, I just prefer doing my own booking with no pressure to upgrade or change unless it is something I want or need.  But a good point.  Those guys, for the most work really hard

My understanding is that they do not get credit for the booking unless they process the payment, so if you complete the booking online, they don't get any credit.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:07 AM, kjquilts said:

Re seasickness ..... I can get sick standing on a dock.  I take one chewable generic bonine (25 mg meclizine) every day when cruising and whenever I need to ride in the back seat or a car or travel on twisty roads.  It works wonderfully for me, I don't get sick and can still drink 🙂.

Me, too. I start taking meclizine before getting on the ship and take it throughout the cruise. Despite rough weather on several cruises, the only time I got motion sickness was while transiting the Panama Canal.  My malaise was not caused by waves, but rather by the shoreline.  Meclizine/Bonine does not cause drowsiness.