Cruise likes it's your first time

Guest ldtr

It is always fun to watch cruisers. Currently on a Mexican Riveria cruise which attracts a lot of younger and first time cruisers.

The first time cruisers are having fun, saying how wonderful the cruise and ship is.

From many of the long term cruisers all you seem to hear is how things are not what they used to be. That they miss X,Y,Z. Talked to one couple this morning who went on for 15 minutes about how much better everything on NCL was and proceeded to go detail by detail everything they liked better on NCL. Went on until I asked them why they were on Princess if NCL was so much better.

Bottom line I would much rather enjoy a cruise like a first time than turn into a jaded cruiser that chooses to complain about every real or imagined change in a cruise line.

I gave Royal Caribbean a try last summer (twice) and I really missed Princess due to the following…

The Medallion, Free Room Service, Free Movies on Demand in cabin (The TV did not work at all on 2 RCCL cruises), and Princess Plus.

I do miss how some things used to be but for now I am sticking with Princess.  

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 7

I've been cruising with carnival too.  Not because I especially like carnival, they just keep giving me free cruises.  

I finally convinced hubs to try one of my freebies.  We both agreed that while it was a 'cruise', it wasn't one that we'd pay for.  The differences are that profound.  

So, we'll cruise on princess when we want a 'real' cruise and we'll go on carnival when we can chop out that block of time and we just want to get away.  

• Like 2

There is no way we are not going to enjoy ourselves thoroughly on a cruise unless we get badly ill.  Seems strange to pay all that money, have a ship's resources at your behest and then spend your time complaining about it.  We have seen it many times and politely excuse ourselves at first opportunity, often with a "....let's go get a drink...".

• Like 4

On 1/16/2023 at 6:22 PM, ldtr said:

It is always fun to watch cruisers. Currently on a Mexican Riveria cruise which attracts a lot of younger and first time cruisers.

The first time cruisers are having fun, saying how wonderful the cruise and ship is.

From many of the long term cruisers all you seem to hear is how things are not what they used to be. That they miss X,Y,Z. Talked to one couple this morning who went on for 15 minutes about how much better everything on NCL was and proceeded to go detail by detail everything they liked better on NCL. Went on until I asked them why they were on Princess if NCL was so much better.

Bottom line I would much rather enjoy a cruise like a first time than turn into a jaded cruiser that chooses to complain about every real or imagined change in a cruise line.

It’s called discernment 😀. There are real changes.

I like to enjoy every cruise I am on but it doesn’t make me blind to what is not so good, based on extensive experience. I do however tend to keep it to myself while on onboard a ship. Nothing worse than someone airing their moans constantly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s called discernment 😀. There are real changes.

I like to enjoy every cruise I am on but it doesn’t make me blind to what is not so good, based on extensive experience. I do however tend to keep it to myself while on onboard a ship. Nothing worse than someone airing their moans constantly.

yes, but the changes are done. Cruises are what they are. One can either enjoy the cruise they are on or lament about how it used to be, and probably will not be again. With time will come more changes no matter what.

Just now, ldtr said:

yes, but the changes are done. Cruises are what they are. One can either enjoy the cruise they are on or lament about how it used to be, and probably will not be again. With time will come more changes no matter what.

And yes I do enjoy my cruises regardless.

I think it is going back to what it was for a price on the lines that have the ship within the ship concept. Princess is nodding at this with the more exclusive dining and now even reserved theatre seating. Lines will move with the money, regardless the direction that takes.

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

And yes I do enjoy my cruises regardless.

I think it is going back to what it was for a price on the lines that have the ship within the ship concept. Princess is nodding at this with the more exclusive dining and now even reserved theatre seating. Lines will move with the money, regardless the direction that takes.

The difference is that with Princess to-date any of the add ons, except club class dining which is not much, is available to anyone on the ship in any type cabin.  That will change with the sun with the suite dining in different dining room, the cabana class with its own dining. Their own lounges as well. unlike club class these will most likely have their own menu 

That is where you will see Princess go truly  ship within a ship concept instead of the more egalitarian these are add on items available for purchase by anyone in any cabin.

We always cruise like it was our first, especially when we’re able to book unique itineraries! I have to admit, though, we sure were getting tired of going on Caribbean cruises for the first 12 months after cruising started back up! But to make them feel new, we went on a different ship each time on three different cruise lines. 

I will also add, we don’t pay much attention to all the negative posts showing up lately here on CC and other places. Like the title of the post suggests, cruise like it’s your first cruise!

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1