Anyone else have chaotic disfunctional bar service?

brianosaur

Just got off Meraviglia yesterday and while the stateroom & restaurant service was great we found the bar service a total mess.

No order to whom the bartenders serve.  They never made eye contact to let you know they saw you. Long lines forming and someone walks up and jumps the line on the other side of the bar. No sectioning of bartenders at either side.  They would make one blended/frozen cocktail at a time instead of making a whole pitcher.  (80% of the drinks seemed to me margaritas, daiquiris, mai tais, or pina coladas - followed by mohitos).  People were yelling "make me the same!" from down the bar when they knew their drink was going into the blender and it would be 20 minutes to get the same thing.

On the last day the pool bar had NO tequila, lime, lime mix, mint leaves, or Sam Adams left.  Really?

It was my first time on MSC.  While it wasnt enough to shun me away, as the ship and Ocean Cay was absolutely beautiful,  it was enough to be a bit turned off by.🤬

I probably asked and spoke to ten other passengers at meals, around the pool and hot tubs and at the Ocean Cay beaches - and everyone was saying the same thing:  "The bar service is horrible!"

Edited by brianosaur

Yes. Terrible bar service in all bars on Divina 12/30-01/13. Especially horrible on OC and we were there 3 days on that cruise. 
Between being out of certain alcohol at each bar we found the bartenders especially unfriendly which wasn’t our experience on past cruises. 
But our cruise had 3800 pax and I’d say 3700 were just plain ignorant and rude so I can’t say I blame the bartenders for their lack of enthusiasm. 

• Like 2

Apart the obvious post covid supply challenges in certain areas and the obvious understaffed ships, yes, sometimes bar service may be hit or miss on a regular day to day operation. Pro tip: If you really want something else try a bar that is less stressed from where the main activities are leaning at that time. For example: Go to the reception bar during the day, or for an as far away as possible from the main theater bars at theater show end times. I know, it may seem to require some time from you, but it will ultimately save you time and effort and grant you a better service level. Have a nice day!...

• Like 4

Here’s my pro tip. Take it how you will. We always bring $100 in singles on every cruise. Most times, when walking up to the bar, I will tip the bartender 1-2$. The bartenders start to recognize this/you. Then, when the bar is busy, they’ll see you in line and know what you’re looking for. Many times they’ll make my drink and point to me in line. I’ll politely say excuse me to other passengers and make my way up to get my drink(s). I’ve found killing them with kindness (even when you may not want to) goes a long way as well.

Same said for the buffet area or pool deck. Tip for drinks and those servers will always walk by and make sure you’re taken care of. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

Here’s my pro tip. Take it how you will. We always bring $100 in singles on every cruise. Most times, when walking up to the bar, I will tip the bartender 1-2$. The bartenders start to recognize this/you. Then, when the bar is busy, they’ll see you in line and know what you’re looking for. Many times they’ll make my drink and point to me in line. I’ll politely say excuse me to other passengers and make my way up to get my drink(s). I’ve found killing them with kindness (even when you may not want to) goes a long way as well.

Same said for the buffet area or pool deck. Tip for drinks and those servers will always walk by and make sure you’re taken care of. 

Now you’ve done it…FWIW, I agree totally. 

• Like 1

We found the Horizon bar was the best run, and even they had a brand new kid being trained. He did not seem old enough to drink and had no idea of any drinks at all.

The pub was OK too but under staffed.

Oh and the idiot guy that wanted to punch me out because I pointed out he had pushed in front of me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

$100 in singles? 
It’s been a while since you’ve cruised hasn’t it? 

Bring 20’s next time. Nobody is moving faster for 1’s nowadays. Been on 3 cruises in the last 12 months. 
When the ship is full to capacity a $1-$2 tip isn’t getting you to the front of the line. Especially when that line is occupied with 90% foreigners who “aren’t used to/don’t like to” wait in line. 
That describes our experience on the New Years cruise on Divina. 

Whole different scenario on MSC than NCL

• Haha 3

Yes. It was one of the most frustrating things on our Grandiosa cruise. We had the premium package. Whether any given drink was part of said package depended on the bar and server. Even getting the staff to acknowledge we had the upgrade (easy plus was included for most guests) was a chore. Repeatedly saying "Yes, I KNOW this isn't included in the easy plus package. I paid extra for the premium upgrade and this drink should be included" got old.

The same drink? Priced differently in different bars. Which didn't help matters.

Half the staff didn't even know what the package included and they had these tiny tablets for ordering that required them scrolling page after page to get to specific drinks. It was just a chore to actually use the premium package we paid extra for and we ended up limiting ourselves to the few bars and servers who knew the system and knew we had the upgraded package. There was a clear lack of training for the bar staff and poor implementation of the ordering system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

$100 in singles? 
It’s been a while since you’ve cruised hasn’t it? 

Bring 20’s next time. Nobody is moving faster for 1’s nowadays. Been on 3 cruises in the last 12 months. 
When the ship is full to capacity a $1-$2 tip isn’t getting you to the front of the line. Especially when that line is occupied with 90% foreigners who “aren’t used to/don’t like to” wait in line. 
That describes our experience on the New Years cruise on Divina. 

Whole different scenario on MSC than NCL

Pretty bold of you to assume you know my experiences. Feel free to start a pissing match with someone else. I’m not buying into your judgmental BS. Cheers! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

No not intending to start any pissing match. That’s not who I am….been here a long time. 

Sorry if you were insulted. That wasn’t my intention. Anyone who knows me here knows that I am not one of the troublemakers.

Just commenting that a $1-$2 tip would have gotten a person nowhere at the bars on our cruise a week ago.  
Pre Covid probably but times have changed. 

Done 40+ cruises and never had the experiences we had on this last one.

The rude pax had a lot to do with it being so bad. It’ll take a while to forget them, that’s how bad they were. 
In a way I don’t blame the bartenders for acting the way they were after putting up with so many obnoxious jerks for two weeks. 

• Like 1

Found the bar situation to be chaotic on recent Mera cruise.  Too many uneducated cruisers with super cheap bar packages looking to maximize their return. In my opinion these were folks who came over from Carnival because it has a 15 drink/day maximum.  They were looking for way more than that.

As far as frozen drinks, IMO these packages should include liquor + mixer drinks (gin/tonic, vodka, soda) etc. Frozen drinks are made to order, take a lot of time and then the blender needs to get cleaned out.  My opinion only as I know a "pina colada" means holiday to some folks.  ALTERNATELY, MSC needs to invest in dedicated frozen drink machines (like at Bahama Breeze) so that they just just "pull" from the handle and serve.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

In my opinion these were folks who came over from Carnival because it has a 15 drink/day maximum.  They were looking for way more than that 

How sad is that when 15 drinks a day isn’t enough? Wow!

Every line should have a limit.

• Like 3

Do you foresee this as a continued problem into the fall.  If this is the case we will have to cancel we are cruising MSC to escape the Carnival crowd or is it the Europeans who are fowling it up for ordinary cruisers who will just tip $1 or $2.

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

How sad is that when 15 drinks a day isn’t enough? Wow!

Every line should have a limit.

No more, no less. And definitely to FINISH this unlimited alcoholic drinks packages thing on the short-term cruise market or say those below 5 nights ones. If that arguably small part of the cruisers, that may be 10-20% of them all don't know how to behave at the point of threatening the whole cruise community with their bad behavior, better for all of us to have the bars at a pay as you go!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

How sad, you take the bribing habit to MSC. How about waiting your turn like everybody else and dollowing MSC' rules?

3 minutes ago, Moz said:

Do you foresee this as a continued problem into the fall.  If this is the case we will have to cancel we are cruising MSC to escape the Carnival crowd or is it the Europeans who are fowling it up for ordinary cruisers who will just tip $1 or $2.

Most probably not the Europeans as they are not used to tipping as Americans do. Also the understand and follow MSC who discourages tipping individuals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morgsmom said:

Found the bar situation to be chaotic on recent Mera cruise.  Too many uneducated cruisers with super cheap bar packages looking to maximize their return. In my opinion these were folks who came over from Carnival because it has a 15 drink/day maximum.  They were looking for way more than that. - This situation must to be addressed by the whole mainstream industry. Even 15 alcoholic drinks is far from more than enough for a regular person to consume for a day! And, the shorter the cruise, the larger the problem!... Sadly this problem is becoming toxic across the board. If a substantial number of folks don't know how to behave, may the industry to make things so that, at very least, they don't threaten the whole community.

As far as frozen drinks, IMO these packages should include liquor + mixer drinks (gin/tonic, vodka, soda) etc. Frozen drinks are made to order, take a lot of time and then the blender needs to get cleaned out.  My opinion only as I know a "pina colada" means holiday to some folks.  ALTERNATELY, MSC needs to invest in dedicated frozen drink machines (like at Bahama Breeze) so that they just just "pull" from the handle and serve. - True. Sadly automation is the future. I wouldn't to be surprised to see the regular specialty coffees at general bars to become "Nespresso" like capsule machines, as well as some of those frozen drinks out there. As my memory sticks, they had those machines for the "ice cream" mixers on the pool bars on the older Musica class ships, but really they only had them at the pool bars.

30 minutes ago, Moz said:

I hope it’s not a continued problem. 

I wouldn’t even call these people “Carnival party people”. It was an entirely different animal. 

What I saw were very rude, loud people who didn’t care less who they were bothering by pushing their way in front of others, cutting the line because supposedly from what I’ve been told on here “Europeans don’t want to wait in line” which I don’t buy…we never saw that anywhere we’ve travelled in Europe. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Honestly, it’s been a few years since we’ve been on Carnival but I don’t remember the party crowd on Carnival being this bad. 

40 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

No more, no less. And definitely to FINISH this unlimited alcoholic drinks packages thing on the short-term cruise market or say those below 5 nights ones. If that arguably small part of the cruisers, that may be 10-20% of them all don't know how to behave at the point of threatening the whole cruise community with their bad behavior, better for all of us to have the bars at a pay as you go!

I’d like to see the drink packages go away completely.

1. It would weed out the jerks who drink one after another because it’s unlimited. 

2. Drink quality was a lot better before the packages came into effect. One great cocktail is better than 3 bad ones anyway. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I’d like to see the drink packages go away completely.

1. It would weed out the jerks who drink one after another because it’s unlimited. 

2. Drink quality was a lot better before the packages came into effect. One great cocktail is better than 3 bad ones anyway. 

True, to an extent. I understand drinks packages for those "little nothings" like the non alcoholic part of them or regular wine and beer at meal times. Then the other parts I don't care too much. I'm a non drinker for health reasons myself. I understand that it is great to have control on what your bill will be at the end. An intermediate term measure trying to please all would to be to do what Virgin is doing: To sell beforehand a certain bar bill on the likes of buy 100, receive 125 EUR/USD and then pay as you are till it lasts. And even on that model, only for the longer cruises.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Actually I rather enjoyed the Drink ticket Booklets.  It made you think twice about whether you really wanted that drink 

True! Those were great, especially those coffee ones they had back in the day. I'd just to purchase what I needed. Now, on the modern days the dedicated value bar bill would work better bundled to your cruise card.

• Like 2

We were in June in the Magnifica. We have experienced mostly friendly bar services and we got our drinks without delay. No need to tip anyone for getting a better service in MSC. At least not in Europe. 

We have been in other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity where we have noticed this tipping custom. But since almost everyone was tipping US 1 per drink, then you would have to go higher if you wanted a preferred service. We have waited our turn and a friendly attitude was all we needed to be noticed.

Ivi

• Like 1