Deck 8 Arvia - get in !!

doog442

We've been allocated one for our last minute saver Caribbean.  I know they're considered the son of Satan but we've had a beach hut for 30 years with every man and his dog walking by so will cope just fine 🤣

I can also reserve two sunbeds at 4am with a canny throw of a book and a towel from my patio door🙃...try that anywhere else. 

It's got me thinking. They're marketed as balcony but from what I can see they're promenade deck level so probably should be marketed as Veranda, terrace or even Promenade deck rather than balcony because in my honest opinion there's nothing balcony about the set up. Old habits die hard mind.

That aside aren't they missing a major trick here?  Lack of privacy aside some folk would love direct accessible entry to the promenade deck from their cabin but there doesn't appear to be any from what I can see . I live in an area where folk spend many hundreds of thousands on having access to a promenade far busier than this with cyclists, scooters etc . They have a beach close by but in this case they won't have a view of the Caibbean. Is this a security issue (anyone could leap the balcony anyway) a safety issue or a complete lack of foresight in that regard. 

Stick a small glass gate, a step or two for the standard higher level midships, perhaps a ramp if needed and these would be sellers for those with mobility issues or those who would love to step out and walk, grab a few sunbeds etc. .

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, doog442 said:

We've been allocated one for our last minute saver Caribbean.  I know they're considered the son of Satan but we've had a beach hut for 30 years with every man and his dog walking by so will cope just fine 🤣

I can also reserve two sunbeds at 4am with a canny throw of a book and a towel from my patio door🙃...try that anywhere else. 

It's got me thinking. They're marketed as balcony but from what I can see they're promenade deck level so probably should be marketed as Veranda, terrace or even Promenade deck rather than balcony because in my honest opinion there's nothing balcony about the set up. Old habits die hard mind.

That aside aren't they missing a major trick here?  Lack of privacy aside some folk would love direct accessible entry to the promenade deck from their cabin but there doesn't appear to be any from what I can see . I live in an area where folk spend many hundreds of thousands on having access to a promenade far busier than this with cyclists, scooters etc . They have a beach close by but in this case they won't have a view of the Caibbean. Is this a security issue (anyone could leap the balcony anyway) a safety issue or a complete lack of foresight in that regard. 

Stick a small glass gate, a step or two for the standard higher level midships, perhaps a ramp if needed and these would be sellers for those with mobility issues or those who would love to step out and walk, grab a few sunbeds etc. .

Did you book a balcony or is it an upgrade? 

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Did you book a balcony or is it an upgrade? 

It was a saver GF balcony booked a few weeks back, so last minute, open minded, excellent price. 

With select it wouldn't have been my first choice but they had nothing of note left in that regard plus the price differential was daft . You roll the dice and all that. 

I guess I'm saying looking at the age demographic of some our cruises, direct promenade access would / could be a real seller for some. I'm just wondering why they never even thought of it or have I missed something. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, doog442 said:

It was a saver GF balcony booked a few weeks back, so last minute, open minded, excellent price. 

With select it wouldn't have been my first choice but they had nothing of note left in that regard plus the price differential was daft . You roll the dice and all that. 

I guess I'm saying looking at the age demographic of some our cruises, direct promenade access would / could be a real seller for some. I'm just wondering why they never even thought of it or have I missed something. 

I think they wanted the seating on the prom deck as the open deck space is apparently quite restricted with outside eating areas etc.  Looking at Grapau's picture on the suite cancellation thread the chairs seem to be against the glass screens.  Assumedly if they had access from the terrace/balcony they couldnt this.  It's also meant to be narrow in places.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think they wanted the seating on the prom deck as the open deck space is apparently quite restricted with outside eating areas etc.  Looking at Grapau's picture on the suite cancellation thread the chairs seem to be against the glass screens.  Assumedly if they had access from the terrace/balcony they couldnt this.  It's also meant to be narrow in places.

Understand. I'll do an update on my thoughts about the general area in a few weeks after living it, although its a port intensity cruise so there wont be that much cabin time. There appear to be a few choke points as you say. Its just an odd design, access being very restricted forward. It's almost as if they accepted folk wanted a promenade deck but the guy arguing for it was fighting the the guy who's job was to cram as many cabins in as possible.  🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, doog442 said:

Fred Olsen have cabins which open directly onto the promenade deck. They have no balcony as such but they are allocated two sun bed / steamers specifically for their cabin, as you are suggesting.

Re the “son of satan” cabins something is only an issue if it is an issue to the individual. I have a family member who just loves people watching so she would be in her element in one of these cabins. They will suit some folks perfectly.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Fred Olsen have cabins which open directly onto the promenade deck. They have no balcony as such but they are allocated two sun bed / steamers specifically for their cabin, as you are suggesting.

Re the “son of satan” cabins something is only an issue if it is an issue to the individual. I have a family member who just loves people watching so she would be in her element in one of these cabins. They will suit some folks perfectly.

Have a great cruise.

Indeed, Fred Olsen call them Terrace Cabins. On the two ships that were formerly Holland America, HAL called them Lanai Cabins.

45 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Indeed, Fred Olsen call them Terrace Cabins. On the two ships that were formerly Holland America, HAL called them Lanai Cabins.

And those don’t appeal to us either which is why we opted for an outside on our (we had to cancel) FO cruise before Christmas. We want a traditional balcony, nothing more, nothing less. 

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Have a great cruise.

I can think of a few people who’d relish the prospect of one of these ‘on display’ cabins.

Mind you, most of them are still doing time for the last similar offence.

• Haha 9

16 hours ago, doog442 said:

You could set up a ' pop up ' cold drinks kiosk on your balcony. Lots of passing trade.🤣

• Haha 9

11 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Yes, great to see that very rare creature on this board - a poster with a glass half full approach to life.   Enjoy your cruise - I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

I'm not a glass half full nor a glass half empty person... I'm just flipping thankful for having a glass!! 😍

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

You could set up a ' pop up ' cold drinks kiosk on your balcony. Lots of passing trade.🤣

🤣...Pringles, sun tan lotion and choccy...all those things you look at in the shop and think 'You're having a laugh at those prices '...oh yeah and Jelly babies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

🤣...Pringles, sun tan lotion and choccy...all those things you look at in the shop and think 'You're having a laugh at those prices '...oh yeah and Jelly babies. 

With so much obc a bar of chocolate keeps the beloved happy.

If you had asked me a couple of months ago I would have been opposed to being in one but, having just spent two weeks onboard, I wouldn't say no to being allocated one as an upgrade or if on a saver rate.

I note they all have one way glass to the doors and frosted glass to the balcony/verandah, and only nosey folk taller than about 5'8" would be able to have a good look onto the balcony/verandah, apart from the ones right at the front, for which the rail is at waist/chest height where is an incline of the promenade.

Anyway, looking up from deck 8 to the cabins above, perhaps up to deck 12, you can see a couple of feet onto the balcony, so it wouldn't really matter if you had your thru'pennies out on deck 8 or the slightly higher ones; you would still be seen.

I noted that some of them are conservatory mini-suites, so would be more expensive than a balcony located on other decks.

• Like 1

When I was on Iona, there was a 20 something blonde girl sunbathing topless on the balcony of one of those Deck 8 cabins. She was there 2 hours on the first day, 3 hours on the second, 2 and a half on the third......

• Haha 12