​⛴️​ LIVE from Allure ​🎠​ out of Galveston - Ozark_Kid and brillohead team up for a duo-thread: Jan 22, 2023

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I swiped my card, and I got THE RED LIGHT OF DEATH!!!!!

Same here!!! It worked the 3rd or 4th time.  I started thinking... Did I have it in the same pocket as my phone?  The good thing we have two cards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

There hasn't ever been a waterpark and other activities at the Coxen Hole port.  Are you thinking of Mahogany Bay?

No that is what they had planned, - not sure exactly how much of a “water park” but certainly lagoon area with water activities and seating.That is what they were making and why the zipline was removed.

Just another thing that caused controversy on Roatan regarding workers, contracts etc.  i haven’t been since Covid and I am not sure if the plans are still accessible online.

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

No that is what they had planned, - not sure exactly how much of a “water park” but certainly lagoon area with water activities and seating.That is what they were making and why the zipline was removed.

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry!

And yes, Captain Jack's is still there!

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Same here!!! It worked the 3rd or 4th time.  I started thinking... Did I have it in the same pocket as my phone?  The good thing we have two cards. 

By that time, I just wanted to get IN MY ROOM AND SHOWER.  Honestly, if it hadn't worked, I probably would have sat right there in the hall and just waited until Damian, my room attendant, got on duty at 5:00 and have him let me in the room!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I was headed to the room and noticed we had not left yet. We were delayed leaving because of another medical emergency.  An ambulance came.  No further details. 

I sure hope that person will be okay.  

• Like 3

On 1/24/2023 at 2:31 PM, TexasGal#35 said:

Our first time on Allure Feb. 12th. I didn't realize you had to make reservations for the shows, so we were only able to get a 10:30 pm reservation Sail Away night. What happens at the skating rink? What shows, games, skating?

Seabrook is my all time favorite place in Texas.

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Is the best friend you mentioned the one I met in Hilton Head last year? 

No that is my other professional musician friend who is my best friend from high school.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

We were in Roatan, Honduras, today.  Water clarity is amazing, especially early in the morning when John was out there.  After noon, the water was a bit more churned up, but still pretty amazing snorkeling.  Roatan is in my personal top three snorkeling spots, both for accessibility (snorkel from shore, don't need to pay for a boat excursion) and variety of coral/fish to be seen.

I'm curious to see if any of the videos or pictures that I took with John's GoPro turn out.  I've never used a GoPro before, and it's really hard to tell what's on the tiny little screen, especially underwater!   We might have to wait until he gets home to get the pics off the memory card.  (And we might need to send all the little video clips to @Sea Dog to make into one of his awesome edited movies!)

Good to hear about the water and yes I’d be happy to put something together for you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, txmommy2 said:

Are there any theme nights?  We will be aboard on Fat Tuesday. Are there still “formal” nights?

Formal night, 70s night, Caribbean night, white night, and "Dress to Impress" night are the usual themes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When I first posted a video I didn't realize it was 4k.  It can lock up some viewers especially those on cruise internet. 

4K? Surely you mean 4M?

I'm on cruise Internet and have been texting 170M files back home no problem.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Good to hear about the water and yes I’d be happy to put something together for you.

Hopefully the stuff I shot on the GoPro is usable... I'd be honored to have you put the best clips together with transitions and all that other cool stuff you do!

• Like 4

Tonight is Caribbean Night.... even the room attendants were dressed in tropical shirts.  

IMG_20230125_194730417.thumb.jpg.dbe791fd75a9c553b0e4a5889d526b61.jpg

The always delicious bread bowl:

IMG_20230125_194745380.thumb.jpg.c34b7468283b39dd507cb9a3a0b7b29b.jpg

Coconut shrimp:

IMG_20230125_195324639.thumb.jpg.7dd5256b62c169277ac88fcec3a6e7ca.jpg

Asian pork tacos:

IMG_20230125_195745363.thumb.jpg.322684ee0098a246e71fd153a68fad04.jpg

Caesar salad:

IMG_20230125_200554153.thumb.jpg.f78fddd0465da73b9ab728f23f094c86.jpg

Chicken Korma:

IMG_20230125_201753232.thumb.jpg.53abe6d64828c75ff25acba10cd9e9f5.jpg

Royal chocolate cake:

IMG_20230125_203830842.thumb.jpg.45e669fac005b0f656888734ea402e22.jpg

This was my first time trying the Chicken Korma, and to be honest, the sauce tasted EXACTLY like the Lamb Kofta that I had last week.  Everything else was as expected.  

• Like 9

Forgot to mention that my Consecutive Cruiser letter was delivered today while I was in Roatan.  

And when I got back to my room after dinner, the room attendant had left the TV on showing a message from Housekeeping letting us know that the balconies are going to be cleaned tomorrow morning while we're in port, so personal items should be removed.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Tonight is Caribbean Night.... even the room attendants were dressed in tropical shirts.  

IMG_20230125_194730417.thumb.jpg.dbe791fd75a9c553b0e4a5889d526b61.jpg

The always delicious bread bowl:

IMG_20230125_194745380.thumb.jpg.c34b7468283b39dd507cb9a3a0b7b29b.jpg

Coconut shrimp:

IMG_20230125_195324639.thumb.jpg.7dd5256b62c169277ac88fcec3a6e7ca.jpg

Asian pork tacos:

IMG_20230125_195745363.thumb.jpg.322684ee0098a246e71fd153a68fad04.jpg

Caesar salad:

IMG_20230125_200554153.thumb.jpg.f78fddd0465da73b9ab728f23f094c86.jpg

Chicken Korma:

IMG_20230125_201753232.thumb.jpg.53abe6d64828c75ff25acba10cd9e9f5.jpg

Royal chocolate cake:

IMG_20230125_203830842.thumb.jpg.45e669fac005b0f656888734ea402e22.jpg

This was my first time trying the Chicken Korma, and to be honest, the sauce tasted EXACTLY like the Lamb Kofta that I had last week.  Everything else was as expected.  

I open this thread up, saw the pics and thought, how did my food pics get posted already.  I was confused for a second. 😂 

• Haha 10

Another "it could only happen to Brillo" story:

I have a two-top table by myself along the window, and there's another two-top right next to me with a young married couple seated there.   I read my Kindle while I eat, only picking up my phone to take a picture of the menu and each course, then setting the phone down, face down, and continuing to read my Kindle.  

I have a Kindle Paperwhite (because it's waterproof, so I can read it in the pool or hot tub when I'm cruising) -- it's not a tablet, it doesn't play videos or music or play games, it's JUST an e-reader, black and white.

After my entree was placed on the table, I moved my Kindle from the right side to the left side, because the plate with the roti was on that side now.  As I'm doing so, I feel a tap-tap-tap on my right shoulder, and I look over and it's an older gentleman standing there, and he says, "Can you turn that thing down?  It's playing right into my hearing aids and I can't hear what they're saying to me at my table."  

I've never seen this man before in my life (I'm usually one of the first seated in our section of the MDR, and my back is to his table), and I thought maybe he was just being "cute" and kinda teasing me because I am reading every night at dinner.  I smiled at him, and then I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't joking.  I asked him, "Are you SERIOUS???"

He said, "Yes, I can't hear anything because it plays right into my hearing aids!"

I'm just dumbfounded at this point.  "It's a KINDLE -- I'm READING -- it doesn't make any noise!"

Geezer:  "Well you were doing it last night, too!"

Brillo:  "I've only been reading, silently, on my Kindle, every single night for the last two cruises! I don't know what you're hearing, but it's not coming from me!"

The geezer looked like he didn't believe me, but he went and sat back down.  At this point, the younger gal at the next table said, "I thought he was kidding, too!"  I asked them if they'd heard me making ANY noise this week.... wondering if maybe I'd developed a habit of singing to myself or moaning as I eat or something, but they both said they hadn't heard a peep out of me, other than when I speak to the wait staff.  

We looked all around to the tables in the vicinity, but we couldn't tell what the geezer might have been thinking was coming from me.  There's a large group people, what I assume is a family traveling together, at the two big tables closest to our two-tops, and none of them are using electronics other than snapping the occasional picture.  They even have a developmentally disabled gal in their group, but she sits and eats with the rest of the family members, no tablet to entertain her.  And there are no families with young kids who might be using electronics to keep the kids busy during dinner.  

The only thing I can think of is that the geezer isn't used to being in a large, loud environment with all kinds of sounds coming from multiple directions, and so he just assumed that it was coming from behind him?  Because it *is* loud in the MDR.... but not because of my Kindle!  

Ya know, stuff like this never happens to me when I'm not doing a LIVE thread on Cruise Critic.... this just might be a one-and-done for me, ya'll are bad juju!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 29

22 minutes ago, anankae said:

4K? Surely you mean 4M?

I'm on cruise Internet and have been texting 170M files back home no problem.

I mean 4k.  Not to talk to much tech.  Thing of TV.  Most watch high definition TV or 1080.  Think of it as 1k.  Then there are 4k TV and Very few 8k. My phone actually has an 8k setting but I would never use it.  I have a 4k TV which is high resolution. 4k files are a lot larger. 

Really inconsistent.  I thought I would do a speed test.  Twice it wouldn't finish then once it did a decent download but almost stopped on upload.  When I was responding to the "4k" I had to hit submit 3 times.  Thought it might double post.  I even restart the wifi to see if that would work.  Nope.