Is this a new cutback, lobster only on sailings of 7 nights or longer, none in Asia, Europe or Australia?

NutsAboutGolf

Some serious questions. Does it really matter if no lobster is served at any dining venue during your cruise? I don’t know how many different types of lobster there are, but does that matter as well?

You book your ideal cruise on your favorite ship, never mind the number of days, and when you get to the point of paying your NRD, a huge banner pops up and covers your entire screen. That banner reads; NO LOBSTER AVAILABLE ON THIS SAILING! Now you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Is lobster still your main concern?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2023 at 4:30 PM, cruisemom42 said:

image.png.d06f7f0001e92695126ee8eab8aacfda.png

I love how they say "We do not serve complimentary lobster in Europe, Australia or Asia" as if they had never done it.  Talk about a poker face.

Yes, they have served complimentary lobster in Europe....until now.  I had it twice on BTB Connie sailings in the Med in October 2022.

No more lobster?

My next cruise is Asia.  My expectations keep on getting lower and lower...

I keep on finding out about the cuts one post at a time ...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

On 1/22/2023 at 6:34 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Some serious questions. Does it really matter if no lobster is served at any dining venue during your cruise? I don’t know how many different types of lobster there are, but does that matter as well?

You book your ideal cruise on your favorite ship, never mind the number of days, and when you get to the point of paying your NRD, a huge banner pops up and covers your entire screen. That banner reads; NO LOBSTER AVAILABLE ON THIS SAILING! Now you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Is lobster still your main concern?

I think that it is the totality of the cuts and how do we navigate around them.

Room service menu cuts.

MDR menus cuts.

Nighttime OVC cuts.

Lobster night cuts.

Specialty restaurant price hikes (very high)

The quality of food onboard does factor into whether I book a cruise or not.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:34 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Not Main but it Is One of the things we look forward to on a Cruise.

• Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 11:44 PM, gerelmx said:

So there is only chick night on cruises of 7 or more nights

What does Chic night have to do with lobster though?

Usually on 7N sailings there are two chic nights and only one had a lobster serving. Not that I care much for the lobster as it's usually so small. I'll have it as a side with a steak but wouldn't really miss it.

Never had a good lobster on a cruise overall.  I grew up summering on Cape Cod and Many travels up the Maine Coast.  Never was interested in ordering it on a cruise, about 17 now on Celebrity.  When having to mass produce for such a large seating never can get it right.  Not an important miss to me overall.  I know for some it is,  but no lobster or extra cost that is my least concern.  As long as menus are interesting to me Ill continue cruising very easily with Celebrity.  Looking at cruises over next few weeks the menus look great.   I dont cruise again to fall and then a TA in April 24.  Bunch of other land trips planned.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

What does Chic night have to do with lobster though?

Perception that it is a special night.  OOO lobster type of thing I guess.  I don't get it tbh either, many times book a specialty those nights since the dining rooms tend to be busier.  

On 1/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Is lobster still your main concern?

Apparently it is to some ( post #22) ----

Just like other " serious " matters:

" Who is going to be our Captain on X in 2025 ?" !!

" What should we do with the $17 OBC we have left "?

" I'm done with Celebrity --my Waiter, the bum, forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time" !

" On our last cruise in 2003 they charged $X in the Specialty restaurant for Tilapia -- now Celebrity is charging $XX and the size is smaller " !! 

" I want a refund !! Our cruise was supposed to tender at XYZ but the Captain said the weather was too rough and too dangerous and "someone" might fall into the sea ( well, things happen !! ) ---- so, we missed our favorite shop ( Lacoste golf shirts --- 5 for $20 US ---- Rolex watches for $125 US ) ". 

" When we booked our cruise in 2015 Gelato was a perk in Elite-- It has since been removed and only Zenith includes it ---- I'm seriously considering , etc etc " .

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Apparently it is to some ( post #22) ----

Just like other " serious " matters:

" Who is going to be our Captain on X in 2025 ?" !!

" What should we do with the $17 OBC we have left "?

" I'm done with Celebrity --my Waiter, the bum, forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time" !

" On our last cruise in 2003 they charged $X in the Specialty restaurant for Tilapia -- now Celebrity is charging $XX and the size is smaller " !! 

" I want a refund !! Our cruise was supposed to tender at XYZ but the Captain said the weather was too rough and too dangerous and "someone" might fall into the sea ( well, things happen !! ) ---- so, we missed our favorite shop ( Lacoste golf shirts --- 5 for $20 US ---- Rolex watches for $125 US ) ". 

" When we booked our cruise in 2015 Gelato was a perk in Elite-- It has since been removed and only Zenith includes it ---- I'm seriously considering , etc etc " .

Gelato is no longer a perk 😱

I think I forgot to get gelato my last 3 times, so can I get 4 scoops the next time I am on the ship 🤔

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I think I forgot to get gelato my last 3 times, so can I get 4 scoops the next time I am on the ship 🤔

Hey is that like when Cheech & Chong forgot to Stop at a Stop Sign so they Stopped Twice at the next one???😬

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

LOL--You can get 23 scoops------IF you pay for 'em !!

I see you like a deal -- ( same here ).

Here's a tip -----next time you are on a ship ----- stay the hell away from the Free 5 minute message--- It's gonna cost ya " big time " ---- and in $US as well.

LOL--- It's hard to say " No " when the pretty , young, well trained , Attendant asks (?? ) --

" Are you aware that your fibble flexile muscles are, and the stress I feel in your , etc etc ---- followed by " for only $XXX  we have  " Special " XYZ package of Exclusive to Celebrity products that are guaranteed to etc etc ".

Let me tell ya----the " stuff " don't make ya look  27 yrs younger and it don't make ya lose weight.

You will gain weight and look 7 yrs older from "stressing" over the $ 347 you spent !!

26 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Here's a tip -----next time you are on a ship ----- stay the hell away from the Free 5 minute message--- It's gonna cost ya " big time " ---- and in $US as well.

LOL--- It's hard to say " No " when the pretty , young, well trained , Attendant asks (?? ) --

" Are you aware that your fibble flexile muscles are, and the stress I feel in your , etc etc ---- followed by " for only $XXX  we have  " Special " XYZ package of Exclusive to Celebrity products that are guaranteed to etc etc ".

Let me tell ya----the " stuff " don't make ya look  27 yrs younger and it don't make ya lose weight.

You will gain weight and look 7 yrs older from "stressing" over the $ 347 you spent !!

But P, I pulled my fibble flexile muscle trying to get the meat out of my second lobster. It really hurt. Right to that same pretty, young masseuse I went. Through drawn and buttered lips, I told her what happened. She went right to work. The fibble has never flexed better. She brought me some gelato afterwards because I was crying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

But P, I pulled my fibble flexile muscle trying to get the meat out of my second lobster. It really hurt. Right to that same pretty, young masseuse I went. Through drawn and buttered lips, I told her what happened. She went right to work. The fibble has never flexed better. She brought me some gelato afterwards because I was crying.

Don’t they take the meat out of the shell ? 

53 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

actual the gelato is that great , a lot of times there even ice crystals in it

I am spoiled, my wife has taken gelato courses in Italy 😁

16 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

"The fibble has never flexed better" --- " She went right to work "??? ----

WHAT ???  Are you bragging about ---- oops -- not nice ??

And, she even bought you some gelato ????

Well, isn't that nice !!

Let me tell you, by the time she was finished with me , I couldn't eat no gelato--

My biggest mistake was telling " you know who " what it cost.

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Don’t they take the meat out of the shell ? 

Yes.   In the pre-COVID days, the Assistant Maitre d' took care of that.  During our first only post-COVID cruise (Constellation TA late last year), the waiter did it.

Holland America has cut them out altogether. No free lobster in the MDR during the duration of the cruise, no exceptions. Even Carnival (part of the same corporation), which is a mainstream budget line still has lobster. Holland America, which used to be one of the nicest upper mainstream lines, is nothing like it used to be. They have really cheapened their product.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, Spif Barwunkel said:

It matters to some, but I think for me it's just another way the cruise lines are cheapening the product. It's taking something we consider nice away. Holland America, which was my favorite cruise line, hasn't had complimentary lobster tail in the MDR ever since the pandemic.

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that it is the totality of the cuts and how do we navigate around them.

Room service menu cuts.

MDR menus cuts.

Nighttime OVC cuts.

Lobster night cuts.

Specialty restaurant price hikes (very high)

The quality of food onboard does factor into whether I book a cruise or not.

I completely agree. When you take all the cuts in consideration, it really makes a difference.