Mexican Food on RCCL Ships (Specifically Tacos)

Ret MP

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

6 Gen Texan.  I've had Mexican in almost every state, nothing compares with TexMex.  But I still love New Mexican and Arizona cuisine.  My aunt taught me to make all homemade Mexican.  She was from Yuma and it is all good.  I make my own enchilada sauce, mole, Rejanos, Green Chili Stew, Guac, etc. etc.  RCCL's Loco Fresh barely makes Taco Bell grade but is fresh and still pretty good for lunch.  We always loved the old Sabors...Tiger Shrimp...mmmmm!  But Fresh only has black beans, we need refried Pintos.  It's all subjective.  I never could handle California's Mexican nor Wyoming...isch.

Will you adopt me, please?

• Haha 1

One more sarcastic/wise guy comment from me. The more I think of it, I think without exception, every Mexican Restaurant, the local version, Ma & Pop, not big box, I've eaten at was authentic Mexican Food.  The people in the kitchen, the owner(s), the servers <for the most part, were all authentic Mexican.  The young may have been born in the U.S.A. but offspring of authentic Mexicans make them authentic Mexican as far as I'm concerned.  Now, they may have adjusted some recipes a little for the American taste.  I love 'em.

• Like 1

Growing up in West Texas and San Antonio, there are 500,000 Mexican food restaurants and they're all just a little different than the next, so everyone has their favorite.  There are some bad ones and some good ones, but that is so highly subjective no one ever agrees...well almost no one.  Our favorite is owned by a gal from Columbia who learned to cook at another restaurant right there in San Antonio...she has some dishes authentic to her culture and they are just as good as the standard fare, but in any case, I can't expect RCCL to bring it so we just make do.  I like Taco Bell as well, as a matter of fact, I read the other day online that Taco Bell is one of the most healthy/freshest fast food joints!  So laugh if you want to folks, I do go to Taco Bell to get their Chalupa Supreme on occasion.  I would love it if RCCL would get them on board.  See, I'm just a foodaholic, I'll eat just about anything and be happy.  Hubs spent some time with the Loco Fresh chef discussing the refried bean issue and begging for Pintos, but I wouldn't hold my breath!  Black beans are really a Caribbean legume and also called Turtle Beans...interesting factoid!  One of the best things we ever had on RCCL was on Radiance on an Alaska trip.  Imagine walking into Sarita's ???, can't remember the name of it, and sitting down to have some of the best Tortilla Soup I ever ate, we went there for lunch 2 or 3 times to get it! mmmm  I just looked and they took it out and put in a Dog House.  Sad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, poocher said:

OMG, I LOVE fish tacos!!  They are my go to order In Mexican restaurants here in CT.  I’ve also had really good ones at Chuy’s when I visit my daughter in Florida.

We went to chuy outside Houston , was very good food 

I suspect availability of Fish Tacos has a lot to do with the proximity to fish.   I've seen it in the Dallas area and I've had friends order it.   They've always liked it, but I never bothered since it was always someplace where everything was really good.  Fort Hood is closer to the coast than me but maybe not close enough.  

Me, I don't eat fish very often unless I'm near where they live and then I'll eat it every chance I can get.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I suspect availability of Fish Tacos has a lot to do with the proximity to fish.   I've seen it in the Dallas area and I've had friends order it.   They've always liked it, but I never bothered since it was always someplace where everything was really good.  Fort Hood is closer to the coast than me but maybe not close enough.  

Me, I don't eat fish very often unless I'm near where they live and then I'll eat it every chance I can get.  

Well, we aren't much of seafood eaters.  I really only like Shrimp (just about any style, but battered and deep fried is my favorite), Lobster, and "Fish & Chips".  My wife likes Lobster and fried clams.  

The dislike for seafood may have influenced my awareness of "Fish Tacos" on menus.  But, you can bet that I'll be noticing from now on.  If I see "Fish Tacos" on the menu, from now on, I may ask if the fish is cooked like "Fish & Chips", if it is, I'll give it a try.  Psychologically, for me, fish and toco just don't seem to be like soup & sandwich or horse and carriage.  But, we'll see, I guess.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

The real thing is really hard to define. Saying, “Mexican Food” is like saying “American Food”, a lot depends on the region of the country be it MX or US. 

Exactly.  I've been living near Monterrey Mexico for 5 years and traveled for business throughout Mexico.  The food is regionally and so diverse.  Here in the north we eat meat.  Beef and goat are the go to proteins. It is totally different than texmex and for my taste, a lot better.  Tacos are soft shelled wheat or corn (yellow and white) and the salsas are plentiful with bold flavours.  There are items here that I have never seen on any Mexican restaurant in the US or Canada.  Also, I made texmex queso (Velveeta type cheese mixed with tomatoes) for my Mexican friends and they never had it before.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Exactly.  I've been living near Monterrey Mexico for 5 years and traveled for business throughout Mexico.  The food is regionally and so diverse.  Here in the north we eat meat.  Beef and goat are the go to proteins. It is totally different than texmex and for my taste, a lot better.  Tacos are soft shelled wheat or corn (yellow and white) and the salsas are plentiful with bold flavours.  There are items here that I have never seen on any Mexican restaurant in the US or Canada.  Also, I made texmex queso (Velveeta type cheese mixed with tomatoes) for my Mexican friends and they never had it before.  

I almost made a post like this yesterday. You covered it well.  Although I've indicated that I really like Tex-Mex, and I do but, I'm not savvy enough to have three or four tacos in front of me, all basically the same, and told to taste each and indicate what region of the country(ies) they came from.  Nope, can't do it.  The big difference for me is the little things on the menu and ingredients in the recipe.   For example, I really like cheese enchiladas with diablo sauce.  I like them with chopped onion cooked IN the cheese.  Some regions do it automatically and others don't.  When I have to ask for the onions and diablo sauce (not queso. Even though I love Queso and chips), I sometimes get that look, like are you crazy.  LOL.  

BTW, my favorite two Mexican Restaurants in the world are Mi Tierra's and Las Margarita's, both in San Antonio, market place and both owned by the same family.

21 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Being a Texan, I never saw or ate fish tacos regionally until around 20 years or so ago, but fish tacos have been a west coast thing for ages. 
TexMex is the best food on earth!

In 2006 I visited a friend living In the Houston area.He said that a TexMex in his area was the best in the US.We went there for dinner one night .The food was great.

21 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I live in northeast NJ, there are fish tacos everywhere, Mexican restaurants plus plenty of pub style restaurants that serve tacos as an option (sometimes happy hour specials). Passaic NJ has great tacos (my kids work for a local garden center and the manager and a bunch of employees are from Mexico (live there in the winter) and shared the best spots. Definite not the Americanized hard shell/ground beef/lettuce kind.

I have dined in NJ many times over the past 50 years .I have friends and relatives living all over the state and worked for a company located in Jackson but never came across a fish taco on a menu.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

The real thing is really hard to define. Saying, “Mexican Food” is like saying “American Food”, a lot depends on the region of the country be it MX or US. 

Agree!  Most of the Mexican restaurants around my neighborhood are similar… but we recently tried one that was completely different- many of the entrees were seafood based.  Mine was amazing!

A2323415-9C49-4954-B254-AA341AA7838D.jpeg

CD489941-3BC3-4E01-B3EF-EDEAFC231B4F.jpeg

Well, to be fair there is a Rome, Athens and Paris in Texas.  

One time on an international scuba forum, the purpose of which was to allow people to plan trips together since you need buddies, a few of us Texans were casually talking about a weekend trip to dive in either Paris or Athens, or maybe both the same weekend.  Each town had a little scuba park.   We knew what we were talking about.  We blew the mind of some non-Texans.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I wonder if people feel the same way about Italian vs Americanized pizza?

Most of pizza types in US do not exist in Italy even though pizza came from Italy.

That could be said about any ethnic foods served in the U.S., I bet.  I believe I did mention that about Italian and Chinese. There are several dishes served in the U.S. that you wouldn't find in the country that it supposedly came from.  We in the U.S. Americanize just about everything.  But, other countries do what they do to many American foods, too.  Go to McDonalds in Germany there are some subtle differences and some not so subtle.  

It's all good though.  I support national originality.  

• Like 1