Capri on our own

cruisin73

While in Naples I am thinking about taking the ferry to Capri on our own. My question is can we simply get off the ferry and walk around Capri to eat and go shopping? Are there many shops and restaurants in the area closest to the ferry? I was hoping to just go for a few hours and not all day.  RCCL has a 9 hour capri trip but I was hoping to not spend so much time off there.  

Yes you can do that.  But most would ride the funicular or take a taxi up to Capri Town.  The lower level where the ferries dock is primarily a marina port with a few businesses.  Up in Capri town is where you want to be walking around and enjoying the views (and shopping, etc. if so inclined). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

Thank you so much. We will take your suggestion and go up to capri town with the Funicular.  Looks like a fun ride.  

If you have time you could also take the bus (or a taxi) from Capri Town up to Anacapri where there is a chair lift (single chairs) all the way up to the top of Mt Solaro.  The views from the top is spectacular and the stair lift ride (which takes nearly 15 min each way) is quite nice as long as one is not afraid of heights.

Hank

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

most would ride the funicular or take a taxi up to Capri Town.  The lower level where the ferries dock is primarily a marina port with a few businesses.  Up in Capri town is where you want to be walking around and enjoying the views (and shopping, etc. if so inclined). 

I totally agree - the short ride up from port to Capri Town (funicular or taxi) is a must.

Whilst there are panoramic views from Anacapri, from behind attractive Capri Town there are also spectacular vertical views down hundreds of feet of cliff to the ocean below  - can be quite vertigo-inducing.

Capri is expensive.

On Capri a coffee, mebbe even a snack, is within the credit limit of most cards, but for shop purchases take your house deeds with you 😀

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Haha 2

When four of us visited Capri from our Sorrento hotel, staff advised us to take sandwiches and soft drinks with us for our day trip as "they are thieves on Capri". LOL

As we had a teenage son "with hollow legs"with us at the time, that advice saved us a good deal and meant he didn't go hungry.

We bought sandwiches, pastries and soft drinks on our way to the Sorrento/Capri  ferry, and once back in town enjoyed  not one but two stops for ice creams on the way back to the hotel

We did go up to Anacapri and took the chairlift to the summit of Mt Solaro (mentioned above).  It isn't for the faint hearted, but it was an experience, and the views were spectacular as most of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius can be seen on a clear day.  We did have some time to wait for a minibus to get us from Anacapri back to Capri Town due to crowds.  It didn't matter to us as we were hotel based, but be aware if on a port call.  We only needed to be at the ferry at our appointed time, and  had allowed time for a walk around Capri Town so  fortunately we had time to spare.  Some may have closed since then, but at that time most of the stores were names such as Dior, Chanel, Ferragamo, YSL etc. way above our price point so they were of no interest to us and we didn't miss "browsing time"

Up at the summi of Mt S. , some fellow tourists approached to say hello.  They wanted to check if they remembered seeing us exploring Herculaneum a few days previously, the same day they themselves visited.  They were correct, but it was quite a coincidence and  rather odd( but nice)  to be approached on a mountain top  on an italian island by strangers thinking they recognised us.

Edited by edinburgher

Please also consider a day trip to the island of  Procida- a lot closer and easy to reach the ferry at the cruise port - it is only one hour away.  Charming very small island, bus service from one end to the other, or even walkable.

This is the island of lemons and home of limoncello.  Its  colorful fishing village has been used as a backdrop for "old Europe" in movies - the Talented Mr Ripley comes to mind.

Great restaurants and The Pergola is one of our favorites - dining under an arbor of lemon trees. More residential  feeling, than the intense tourism as found on Capri.  https://www.procidainsider.com/en/c/la-pergola-2

Edited by OlsSalt

I'd suggest booking return tickets.

We used this company for a 2 hours sail around Capri, with amazing views completely comparable to the Blue Grotto.

http://www.capriwhales.it/who-are-us/?lang=en

The line to the funicular was too long, and we feared we'll not be back on time for the return to Naples.

• Like 1

You can take a city bus up to Anacapri - which is up high on a mountain, there was a really chair lift / suspended swing that takes you back down and you have amazing views of the island and the water.  

http://capriseggiovia.it/en/impianto.html

We liked it because it was less busy than some of the shopping areas of Capri as not many people ventured much further.  I do recommend buying your tickets in advance or at least make sure you have your return at the start of the day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 10:44 AM, edinburgher said:

When four of us visited Capri from our Sorrento hotel, staff advised us to take sandwiches and soft drinks with us for our day trip as "they are thieves on Capri". LOL

As we had a teenage son "with hollow legs"with us at the time, that advice saved us a good deal and meant he didn't go hungry.

We bought sandwiches, pastries and soft drinks on our way to the Sorrento/Capri  ferry, and once back in town enjoyed  not one but two stops for ice creams on the way back to the hotel

We did go up to Anacapri and took the chairlift to the summit of Mt Solaro (mentioned above).  It isn't for the faint hearted, but it was an experience, and the views were spectacular as most of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius can be seen on a clear day.  We did have some time to wait for a minibus to get us from Anacapri back to Capri Town due to crowds.  It didn't matter to us as we were hotel based, but be aware if on a port call.  We only needed to be at the ferry at our appointed time, and  had allowed time for a walk around Capri Town so  fortunately we had time to spare.  Some may have closed since then, but at that time most of the stores were names such as Dior, Chanel, Ferragamo, YSL etc. way above our price point so they were of no interest to us and we didn't miss "browsing time"

Up at the summi of Mt S. , some fellow tourists approached to say hello.  They wanted to check if they remembered seeing us exploring Herculaneum a few days previously, the same day they themselves visited.  They were correct, but it was quite a coincidence and  rather odd( but nice)  to be approached on a mountain top  on an italian island by strangers thinking they recognised us.

Can I ask which hotel in Sorrento you stayed. I’m staying there after my cruise. TIA

Can I ask which hotel in Sorrento you stayed.

Sorry but it was so long ago I cannot remember, and it was booked as a flight/hotel package through a UK travel company.  It was my second visit there, but a first for my other family members.What I can advise is that you should book a hotel on the lower level of town, as many hotels are uphill and really quite inconvenient for independent sighsteeing. On my first visit we were uphill and it was a nuisance to be there, so on the family visit we looked specifically for one on the lower lever where we could walk out the hotel and be in the centre, convenient for everything there and an easy walk to bus, train and ferry. It made quite a difference and meant we could also enjoy an evening stroll if we wanted, window shopping or to sit in a cafe or bar. it was nice to have that option.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

We are going to Naples on 1st July and looking to do Capri independently. Our ship is docked between 7AM-6PM. Would you say the 8:35 (Outgoing) and 15:35 ferry times would be suitable? Also, does anyone know how reliable these ferry services are?

Thanks 🙂 

Yes, those times would be conservative.  You could also take the 8:05 crossing.

Note that the 15:35 return goes to Porta di Massa.  Perhaps you meant the 15:25 to Molo Beverello, which is adjacent to the cruise port in Naples?

It's not a big deal to go to Porta di Massa, it's only a 1 km/six tenths of a mile walk from there to the cruise port.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Yes, those times would be conservative.  You could also take the 8:05 crossing.

Note that the 15:35 return goes to Porta di Massa.  Perhaps you meant the 15:25 to Molo Beverello, which is adjacent to the cruise port in Naples?

It's not a big deal to go to Porta di Massa, it's only a 1 km/six tenths of a mile walk from there to the cruise port.

Thanks! I did mean 15:25, but just put the wrong time in 🤦‍♂️. I won’t be getting far making those kind of mistakes 😅.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you pre-book the funicular in Capri?  Do tour groups get priority on access to the funicular?  We are a group of 10 and wanted to go on our own... but thinking a tour might help us with the funicular.

15 minutes ago, jjzc said:

Can you pre-book the funicular in Capri?  Do tour groups get priority on access to the funicular?  We are a group of 10 and wanted to go on our own... but thinking a tour might help us with the funicular.

I've never heard of the funicular being a real pain point for waiting. It runs constantly back and forth (in tourist season) from the port in Marina Grande to the Piazzetta in Capri town above, and it takes just a few minutes. 

Are you thinking of the chairlift in Monte Solara?

I have seen long lines for the funicolare, the one time I went over in the summer.  There is no way to prebook it, however.

My advice is that if you are planning to go to Anacapri in the same day, get a taxi (great fun to ride in) from the port to Anacapri upon arrival, then work your way back down throughout the day.

Thanks so much for the Anacapri work way back advice.  I'd like to do the chairlift in Monte Solara too.  My husband is afraid of heights though so maybe questionable for him.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, could anyone post the link (English) to check the ferry schedule from Naples Port to Capri?  For a port visit in 3rd week of Nov, is Capri still worth going? Port time is 7a-7p. Crossing not too choppy?  Is prebooking the ferry advisable?

Thanks in advance for your time!!

There is no need to purchase ferry tickets in advance, especially not in November.  Wait until the day you are there and check out the conditions, if things are calm you can buy the ferry ticket and get right on.

There is no way to check a future schedule that hasn't been released.  You can see the current schedule here, but do not purchase from this site.  They charge usury level fees:  2023 Capri ferry schedules: from Napoli to Capri - Book online

50 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

Hello, could anyone post the link (English) to check the ferry schedule from Naples Port to Capri?  For a port visit in 3rd week of Nov, is Capri still worth going? Port time is 7a-7p. Crossing not too choppy?  Is prebooking the ferry advisable?

Thanks in advance for your time!!

As to weather, it's not predictable. I have been in November and had a lovely, sunny day. Other times it can be windy and rainy.  Best wait and see....

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There is no need to purchase ferry tickets in advance, especially not in November.  Wait until the day you are there and check out the conditions, if things are calm you can buy the ferry ticket and get right on.

There is no way to check a future schedule that hasn't been released.  You can see the current schedule here, but do not purchase from this site.  They charge usury level fees:  2023 Capri ferry schedules: from Napoli to Capri - Book online

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

As to weather, it's not predictable. I have been in November and had a lovely, sunny day. Other times it can be windy and rainy.  Best wait and see....

Thank you for the sound advice.  All noted.  Worst case scenario if it is not favorable to go, I'll have pizza in Naples!!

• Like 1