Question on Viking Ocean Staterooms

neecerz69

On 2/10/2023 at 2:20 PM, formernuke said:

Anyone tried the bathing suit spin dryers in the thermal spa changing rooms? They seem to get things pretty dry if what you have is small ( and are willing to do one at a time)!

They got my bathing suit mostly but not totally dry.  

DON

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2023 at 4:37 PM, ropomo said:

I can't speak for the Viking clothes lines in the shower, but what may not be common knowledge is that once the line is extended, twisting the knob like thing on the end housing the line clockwise will lock it in place to prevent the sag and items "sinking" to the middle.

Wow!  All the cruises we've done and never knew this.  Was always an irritant.  Will have to put your wonderful tip into practice in a few months!  Thx!

• Like 4

On 2/11/2023 at 11:50 PM, donaldsc said:

They got my bathing suit mostly but not totally dry.  

DON

And uou can finish drying with a quick spin in the dryer in the launderette or by laying on the bathroom floor and turning up the heat😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

And uou can finish drying with a quick spin in the dryer in the launderette or by laying on the bathroom floor and turning up the heat😂

We had a suite on our last cruise and we used the heated towel bar for drying our suits. It was wonderful, but I doubt we will bother with a suite again. I would rather save my money and use your methods. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, beezercatz said:

Usually cabin walls are metal and the hooks will be wherever you wish to place them. 

Affirmative, always metal, but not always steel, as aluminium is also used in ship construction on some ships.

We carry a plastic soap dish and a small plastic bin both with suction cups for the shower. It allows us to keep my hair shampoo & conditioner and a razor in the shower.  My husband also prefers a real bar of soap. Have a soap dish in the shower is a must for us.

We also use command hooks in the cabin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

My husband also prefers a real bar of soap.

I am the same. We just ask the cabin steward and they provide us with another bar of soap and soap dish that sits on the bench/ledge

• Like 1

Bar soap guy.  Tried Freyja shower liquid and really liked it, (and all their products). 

Didn't ask for bar soap, but nice to know they have it.  Do you know what brand was it was? Thanks 

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Bar soap guy.  Tried Freyja shower liquid and really liked it, (and all their products). 

Didn't ask for bar soap, but nice to know they have it.  Do you know what brand was it was? Thanks 

I think it may be branded Freya also. I could be wrong but I know it’s not Irish Spring😂

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, neecerz69 said:

First time cruiser. I've been watching tons of youtube on things to bring, etc. One of the suggestions was to bring magnetic hooks and magnetic clips to use in the room for places to add notes, etc. 

However, when I've looked at pix and video, I really can't tell if there is actually any place to actually put these magnets. Won't make sense to bring them if I can't hang things up. Anyone know?

The magnetic hooks can be used almost any place there is an empty spot.  Have done it inside the cabin and outside to put a small banner to let people know about my wife and I and helps start conversations with people who see it.  One suggestion is that if you can get the magnets with the hooks that fold flat, it helps with packing them.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 10:20 PM, formernuke said:

Anyone tried the bathing suit spin dryers in the thermal spa changing rooms? They seem to get things pretty dry if what you have is small ( and are willing to do one at a time)!

On our last cruise I was a huge fan of these spin dryers as they do get your cozzie 99.99% dry. However …… I went in the spa pool almost every day and noticed that my swimsuit seemed to be getting looser day by day (which was odd as everything else was getting significantly  tighter as our almost month long cruise progressed) I’m not saying it was the fault of the spinner, my swimming costume wasn’t new, had plenty of use during the cruise but it was definitely not worth packing at the end of our trip, I chucked it in the bin as the fabric was perished/had lost its elasticity. Next time I will take more than one and ring the changes and it won’t stop me using the spinner but thought I’d mention it, for what it’s worth! 

Edited by JollyJacqTar
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JollyJacqTar said:

On our last cruise I was a huge fan of these spin dryers as they do get your cozzie 99.99% dry. However …… I went in the spa pool almost every day and noticed that my swimsuit seemed to be getting looser day by day (which was odd as everything else was getting significantly  tighter as our almost month long cruise progressed) I’m not saying it was the fault of the spinner, my swimming costume wasn’t new, had plenty of use during the cruise but it was definitely not worth packing at the end of our trip, I chucked it in the bin as the fabric was perished/had lost its elasticity. Next time I will take more than one and ring the changes and it won’t stop me using the spinner but thought I’d mention it, for what it’s worth! 

I wonder if the chlorine levels or whatever sanitising chemicals they are using are (required to be) high given the high temps and high usage. That will have an effect on the materials in the suit as well as fade. 

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

I wonder if the chlorine levels or whatever sanitising chemicals they are using are (required to be) high given the high temps and high usage. That will have an effect on the materials in the suit as well as fade. 

I’m sure that was a factor. I thought I’d bring it up as it’s the only time I’ve had access to a spin dryer on a holiday and the only time my costume has stretched like that. I’m not saying the spinner was the cause but just thought I’d mention it as it crossed my mind that it “may” have been. It could have been the fabric wasn’t up to containing my well fed and changing shape 😂

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...

chlorine can weaken the fibers of lycra and other stretch fabrics.  It is important to rinse the suits well before spinning and not simply spinning them with chlorinated water still present.  Also do not wring them before spinning

polyester is more likely to stretch over time than lycra / spandex

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 1:50 AM, JollyJacqTar said:

Chlorine is doing it (the loosening), not the spinner.  Rinse suit thoroughly with water after the pool or spa and only then use the spinner.  It’s not the spinners fault.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Chlorine is doing it (the loosening), not the spinner.  Rinse suit thoroughly with water after the pool or spa and only then use the spinner.  It’s not the spinners fault.

I did make a second comment regarding chlorine but thank you.

• Like 1