Paying for laundrettes

snaefell

8 minutes ago, snaefell said:

We are on Arcadia in May,grateful of any info on the cost of using the laundrettes on board & how to pay for them please

The laundrettes and driers are free to use. I would advise that you take your own pods/tablets as they ran out in the shop when e were aboard.

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

Something for free,amazing,thanks for your replies guys,much appreciated!☺

Ah, but....

On Arvia, and I would expect it to be the same on Iona, before you can start the washer or dryer you get a message instructing you to make payment. All you do is press the icon for your machine on a digital wall panel. I joked with another passenger that, if we were on an American ship, you would have to touch a reader with your cruise card so they could charge you. The way P&O are going, with their nickel and diming practices, I wouldn't be surprised if that is an option for them in the future.🙄

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

Ah, but....

On Arvia, and I would expect it to be the same on Iona, before you can start the washer or dryer you get a message instructing you to make payment. All you do is press the icon for your machine on a digital wall panel. I joked with another passenger that, if we were on an American ship, you would have to touch a reader with your cruise card so they could charge you. The way P&O are going, with their nickel and diming practices, I wouldn't be surprised if that is an option for them in the future.🙄

I could not get the wall panel to work on Iona, then a crew member suggested I just use the controls on the machine, it worked.

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I could not get the wall panel to work on Iona, then a crew member suggested I just use the controls on the machine, it worked.

To be honest, it did initially take a couple of attempts, even for me. There were some folk that just couldn't get the hang of it, whom I had to help.  .....and with the programs for the machines. One elderly gent came to empty the washer, which he had set on a two hour wash, but had not put on a spin cycle. His washing was sodden, and dripping all over the floor.

I seemed to spend so much time in there that I joked with folk about doing their ironing; ten bob a shirt, five for two quid.

I did wonder if P&O would be interested in taking on a recent retiree as a laundry assistant.🤭

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, TigerB said:

To be honest, it did initially take a couple of attempts, even for me. There were some folk that just couldn't get the hang of it, whom I had to help.  .....and with the programs for the machines. One elderly gent came to empty the washer, which he had set on a two hour wash, but had not put on a spin cycle. His washing was sodden, and dripping all over the floor.

I seemed to spend so much time in there that I joked with folk about doing their ironing; ten bob a shirt, five for two quid.

I did wonder if P&O would be interested in taking on a recent retiree as a laundry assistant.🤭

If you had a deck 8 conservatory balcony,  another opportunity for a pop up business. .

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

I never use the launderettes now. On long cruises I  use the laundry service for large items, wash the smalls and dry in bathroom or on balcony. For shorter cruises, just take enough clothes! 

Take enough clothes.  Life's too short . 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

I never use the launderettes now. On long cruises I  use the laundry service for large items, wash the smalls and dry in bathroom or on balcony. For shorter cruises, just take enough clothes! 

That would mean  I would need 16 shirts for a 7 night cruise, 2 per day plus one each for travelling .

I take enough pods for the number of washes I think is needed plus some vanish powder in a plastic bag plus a couple of colour run sheets plus the same number of tumble drier sheets as soap pods. All works fine and fits into a small container which  goes into the suitcase. Extra weight is minimal. What is the problem? It just needs some organisation…….

Well (the hiatus didn't last long), we had always taken enough clothes to last out cruises and had never set foot in the laundry rooms.  But, on our trip last November with family, my F-I-L said to me, the laundrettes good, just popping back to move the clothes to the tumble drier.

I accompanied him back down the corridor and happen to say we didn't bring any pods, so we can't do any.  Reply was neither did we, we went to reception and they gave us mini boxes of washing powder.

So off I trot and sure enough, upon request a box was handed to me.  No card or payment requested.

I assumed this was the norm, but reading this thread either we were lucky or I've just blown a little know perk.

Interested in this thread as we are off on two Azura cruises this year as well as all the family again on Arcadia later this year.  Just in case, I think my wife will now pack a few of these washing leaves for these trips.

20 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Well (the hiatus didn't last long), we had always taken enough clothes to last out cruises and had never set foot in the laundry rooms.  But, on our trip last November with family, my F-I-L said to me, the laundrettes good, just popping back to move the clothes to the tumble drier.

I accompanied him back down the corridor and happen to say we didn't bring any pods, so we can't do any.  Reply was neither did we, we went to reception and they gave us mini boxes of washing powder.

So off I trot and sure enough, upon request a box was handed to me.  No card or payment requested.

I assumed this was the norm, but reading this thread either we were lucky or I've just blown a little know perk.

Interested in this thread as we are off on two Azura cruises this year as well as all the family again on Arcadia later this year.  Just in case, I think my wife will now pack a few of these washing leaves for these trips.

Similarly we always took enough clothes for the cruise, we would not have even considered using the laundry, however on retirement we took a 35 night cruise so we had the choice of lots of cases and a massive pile of washing on our return. We packed for 2 1/2 weeks and used the laundrette once, result. On our last 40 night cruise mrs YP decided that as the weather wasn't brilliant the last couple of days she would put in a load of washing to save time when she got home. We always take a few pods with us as I am a delicate little blossum and find that ASDA non bio doesn't bring on my eczema.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

That would mean  I would need 16 shirts for a 7 night cruise, 2 per day plus one each for travelling .

And a couple of spares, just in case. Choices are take another suitcase, or spend some of your holiday washing clothes.

1 hour ago, pennib said:

I take enough pods for the number of washes I think is needed plus some vanish powder in a plastic bag plus a couple of colour run sheets plus the same number of tumble drier sheets as soap pods. All works fine and fits into a small container which  goes into the suitcase. Extra weight is minimal. What is the problem? It just needs some organisation…….

No problem for us. We take enough clothes so didn't even know they had a laundtymatt, whatever that may be.

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

And a couple of spares, just in case. Choices are take another suitcase, or spend some of your holiday washing clothes.

No problem.. I will do it on the second sea day. i will br reading a book anyway