Did the steakhouse menu change?

Eli_6

On Celebration in December they offered to bring me Wasabi for the mashed potatoes. In January on Freedom I asked for it and was told no.

The cheesecake had a new recipe also. It had the same flavor as before but the mousse like consistency of the buffet desserts.  It was basically all frosting and crust no actual cheesecake.

It was a disappointing meal especially since the included food on Freedom was actually much better than recent trips.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

We were on Horizon last week and ate in The Steakhouse. We both ordered Filet and Lobster. Lobster smelled strongly of bleach, which means it was bad or on it's way. It also looked no different that Dining Room other than it was grilled. We were asked if we wanted another one and that would be a big fat NO!

That is very disappointing to hear.🙁  I was hoping the quality of the Steakhouse food would not drop off the way that of the included food has.  I thought the (recently increased) upcharge would keep it, within reason, from going downhill.  I guess I was naive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

On Celebration in December they offered to bring me Wasabi for the mashed potatoes. In January on Freedom I asked for it and was told no.

The cheesecake had a new recipe also. It had the same flavor as before but the mousse like consistency of the buffet desserts.  It was basically all frosting and crust no actual cheesecake.

It was a disappointing meal especially since the included food on Freedom was actually much better than recent trips.

Darn, yet another disappointment for me.  The cheesecake is my go-to Steakhouse dessert.🙁  I'm a bit of a cheesecake snob - I make very good cheesecake.☺️  And the Steakhouse cheesecake used to be solidly decent IMO. Well, pooh.  Not looking forward to my Steakhouse reservations as much as I was before this thread.🙁

I'm bringing my own wasabi, in case when I ask for it they don't have it.  But I can't exactly bring my own cheesecake.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Darn, yet another disappointment for me.  The cheesecake is my go-to Steakhouse dessert.🙁  I'm a bit of a cheesecake snob - I make very good cheesecake.☺️  And the Steakhouse cheesecake used to be solidly decent IMO. Well, pooh.  Not looking forward to my Steakhouse reservations as much as I was before this thread.🙁

I'm bringing my own wasabi, in case when I ask for it they don't have it.  But I can't exactly bring my own cheesecake.

About the only good cheesecake left on the ship is at the specialty coffee place. Even there, they no longer have the carrot cake... at least I have not seen it there my last few cruises. And those cupcakes --- all show and no go.  😞

I'm not trying to complain --- but when given good reason, I won't keep quiet !

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

About the only good cheesecake left on the ship is at the specialty coffee place. Even there, they no longer have the carrot cake... at least I have not seen it there my last few cruises. And those cupcakes --- all show and no go.  😞

I'm not trying to complain --- but when given good reason, I won't keep quiet !

Tom

Crap, the carrot cake gone, too?😢  Well, I guess I can Pollyanna it by saying that all this is going to help me maintain my weight on my next cruise and not come home my typical 5 lbs heavier than I was on Embarkation Day.😏

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

That is very disappointing to hear.🙁  I was hoping the quality of the Steakhouse food would not drop off the way that of the included food has.  I thought the (recently increased) upcharge would keep it, within reason, from going downhill.  I guess I was naive. 

It could have been a one time thing but that smell really ruined it for us. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

"

Are Canadian and Maine Lobsters the Same?

In fact, there is no big difference in these two lobster types as they belong to the one species ‘Homarus Americanus’, that’s why when eating them or just looking at them, you will see no distinctive features.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

"

Are Canadian and Maine Lobsters the Same?

In fact, there is no big difference in these two lobster types as they belong to the one species ‘Homarus Americanus’, that’s why when eating them or just looking at them, you will see no distinctive features.

Yeah, but he shows other types of lobsters in the video that do look different.

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

Yeah, but he shows other types of lobsters in the video that do look different.

You aren't going to get live lobster on Carnival or any other cruise line AFAIK. They are all frozen.  How they are caught, handled, frozen, and cooked are all going to be bigger factors in taste and texture. A rock lobster could easily come out the winner 

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Not at all. Look at what other cruise lines have done with prices. Carnival once again comes out the winner.

Why is Carnival in a race to the bottom, seemingly in a race with themselves? 

• Haha 1

I'll be the odd one in this thread. I like the new menu. Food is still great. Do not do seafood so whatever lobster they have doesn't matter to me. Sides are all good, so were the appetizers. Did not like the bone marrow so did not miss it. Only item that could have been better, there did not seem to be as much sea salt on the sea salt rolls

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You aren't going to get live lobster on Carnival or any other cruise line AFAIK. They are all frozen.  How they are caught, handled, frozen, and cooked are all going to be bigger factors in taste and texture. A rock lobster could easily come out the winner 

You mean they aren't catching them off the bow? 

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, rellersi said:

I'll be the odd one in this thread. I like the new menu. Food is still great. Do not do seafood so whatever lobster they have doesn't matter to me. Sides are all good, so were the appetizers. Did not like the bone marrow so did not miss it. Only item that could have been better, there did not seem to be as much sea salt on the sea salt rolls

The odd ones are the malcontents. Change happens.

Guest BasicSailor
9 hours ago, RenoNanaOz said:

We were on Horizon last week and ate in The Steakhouse. We both ordered Filet and Lobster. Lobster smelled strongly of bleach, which means it was bad or on it's way. It also looked no different that Dining Room other than it was grilled. We were asked if we wanted another one and that would be a big fat NO!

I've noticed that on land-based restaurants (strong bleach smell). I agree with you, No Thank you! 🤢

Did the steakhouse back in October and everyone in the past posted about how large the portions were and to be honest I wasn't impressed. The portions were smaller just like what they serve now in the MDR. 

• Like 1

I've said this before, and I'll say it again... I REALLY REALLY don't like the fact that they have your server now plating your steaks. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer that the cook plate the food - and arrange it as he (it seems that they're all males, probably some rare exceptions) sees fit. In the hands of some servers, it just appears as a clumsy process.

Tom

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
40 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again... I REALLY REALLY don't like the fact that they have your server now plating your steaks. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer that the cook plate the food - and arrange it as he (it seems that they're all males, probably some rare exceptions) sees fit. In the hands of some servers, it just appears as a clumsy process.

Tom

. I did notice this as well and agree . 

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Agree.  They bring out the hot/warm plate too early and it’s room temp when they serve the food.  Also, I have an allergy to seafood and have caught them twice almost using the same serving tongs for my steak after touching seafood.  

We enjoyed Steakhouse so much on Magic this January that we went three times total!  My DH ordered Surf and Turf each time, he loved it that much.  I didn't notice any bleach smell on my lobster.  The cheesecake was tasty and I brought the rest back to our room.  I agree, the mushroom side is yummy!!!

• Like 3

Getting ready for later this month - the early bird gets a better choice of tables!

Saturday    Pt. Canaveral - 4 PM   Rudi's           5:30

Sunday      Sea Day                         Steakhouse 5:30

Monday     Nassau    7-4                Rudi's            5:30

Tuesday     Sea Day                        ChiBang        open

Wed.           Amber Cove 9-6          Rudi's            5:30

Thursday   Grand Turk 7-4            Steakhouse  5:30

Friday         Sea Day                        Rudi's            5:30

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1