Cabin arrangements for large families under 21

We have never done a cruise and are considering Oasis of the Seas in August. How do large families do cabin assignments with the requirements that they be in a connecting room with an adult? Our travel agent suggested two cabins which is not happening. Kids ages are 20, 20, 18, 18, 16, 12 and 6. 
Would love some input from more seasoned cruisers about how many cabins to get. TY!

27 minutes ago, MDPartyof9 said:

How do large families do cabin assignments with the requirements that they be in a connecting room with an adult?

Welcome to CC.

They don't need to be connecting, just next to or across from yours. You'll probably want three-four cabins.

Unless you get a suite or family cabin max is 4 per cabin. I would ask the kids who they want to room with and plan accordingly. Connecting cabins are nice for extra space. Looks like minimum you could do is 3 cabins. We always had our kids across the hall in an inside while we enjoyed a balcony.

Edited by Saoa0318

I would do 3 cabins of 3...or 1 of 4, 1 of 3, and 1 of 2...

I'd definitely book a parent with the 6 year old and 12 year old.

I used to do 2 connecting cabins for my family of 6.  Now that my kids are older, my spouse and I take each gender and I book 2 separate 3 person cabins (since it's almost impossible to find 3-3 connecting, and my kids hate bunk beds, so we book 3rd sofa bed berths)...

47 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

They don't need to be connecting, just next to or across from yours. You'll probably want three-four cabins.

Their website says they must be connecting. 
This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Is that not correct? Because that would be way easier. I will call in the morning. 
Thanks!

11 minutes ago, MDPartyof9 said:

Is that not correct?

As with some other things on the RCI web site, no, it's not correct. BTW, you might get some script reading CSR when you call - insist that RCI allow what I described. Better yet, book via TA who can do this for you.

Edited by Biker19

2 hours ago, MDPartyof9 said:

We have never done a cruise and are considering Oasis of the Seas in August. How do large families do cabin assignments with the requirements that they be in a connecting room with an adult? Our travel agent suggested two cabins which is not happening. Kids ages are 20, 20, 18, 18, 16, 12 and 6. 
Would love some input from more seasoned cruisers about how many cabins to get. TY!

Look for a combination like this

Put the parents in 8545

put the 20 year olds on 8544

Put the 18 year olds in 8543

Put the 16, 12 and 6 in 8547

Once on board the parents take the balcony and the 20 year olds take the middle inside or something to that effect depending on how you want to split them up.

Meets the requirements because the parents have kids on both sides and directly across the hall

Find a TA that has group space. All but the triple will be available in the group and booking this way will quite likely be less than putting more people in fewer cabins.

image.png.8e6d20eb8be3a6bea8960680aaf2955f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is great info. Thanks esp for that diagram. 
The first TA I called was Interliner and they weren’t helpful. Would love recommendations for an agent who would be familiar with this situation. Is it better to book through an agent or directly with RC? 

1 minute ago, MDPartyof9 said:

The first TA I called was Interliner and they weren’t helpful. Would love recommendations for an agent who would be familiar with this situation. Is it better to book through an agent or directly with RC? 

Unfortunately, the rules of Cruise Critic don't allow anyone to share info on travel agents.  

2 hours ago, MDPartyof9 said:

Very helpful info in post #8.  Use Google or social media for add'l info.

I think you do it in three rooms of three...

Room1: Parents + 6 year old

Room2: 18, 18, 12

Room3: 20, 20, 16

I know @Ourusualbeach really knows what they're talking about, but I would first work with whoever is doing the booking to try to get the people assigned to the rooms you want them to be in.  I know you can get extra keys made for any rooms in your party, but that seems like an extra hassle to keep up with.  

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I know @Ourusualbeach really knows what they're talking about, but I would first work with whoever is doing the booking to try to get the people assigned to the rooms you want them to be in.  I know you can get extra keys made for any rooms in your party, but that seems like an extra hassle to keep up with.  

No rooms of three are available! 

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I guess it would depends on pricing.  So often getting 2 rooms for 2 is less than or the same as getting triples and quads especially when group rates are involved.  If they are just booking on their own without a TA then triples may be the way to go.

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Look for a combination like this

Put the parents in 8545

put the 20 year olds on 8544

Put the 18 year olds in 8543

Put the 16, 12 and 6 in 8547

Once on board the parents take the balcony and the 20 year olds take the middle inside or something to that effect depending on how you want to split them up.

Meets the requirements because the parents have kids on both sides and directly across the hall

Find a TA that has group space. All but the triple will be available in the group and booking this way will quite likely be less than putting more people in fewer cabins.

image.png.8e6d20eb8be3a6bea8960680aaf2955f.png

Would you happen to know if we can split the parents up?  We can’t find four rooms together. So is it possible to book one adult with four kids into two rooms either across from or next to each other, and the other parent with three kids in two rooms either across from or next to each other. It would be easier to find 2 pairs of rooms rather than four together. I now have a different TA. I think we have a super unusual combination. 

Just now, MDPartyof9 said:

Would you happen to know if we can split the parents up?  We can’t find four rooms together. So is it possible to book one adult with four kids into two rooms either across from or next to each other, and the other parent with three kids in two rooms either across from or next to each other. It would be easier to find 2 pairs of rooms rather than four together. I now have a different TA. I think we have a super unusual combination. 

Yes, you can do that. 

• Thanks 1

I would probably book 4 and 3 in connecting cabin (book with one parent in one of these) and then book across hall balcony with 1 parent and 6 year old.  Just interchange keys with 6 year old who won't be alone for most part anyway.  

59 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This is what I'd do.  I wouldn't want the 6-year old or the 12-year old across the hall or in a non-connecting room.  Three in each room can be comfortable.  I'd make the first two rooms "connecting" and the last room next door.  

1 hour ago, MDPartyof9 said:

Absolutely! NCL wouldn’t even let us put the kids in a connecting cabin. We are a family of 7 and always book one parent with three, and one parent with two, go to guest services and get extra key cards, super easy.