How does the Starbuck's Package Work? Is There Regular Coffee Aboard?

ajtraveler66

I'm fine with just plain old black coffee, and it doesn't have to be Starbucks.  But I need it on a daily basis because I guess you could say that I'm addicted.  😀.  Is there plain old black, non-Starbuck's coffee aboard the ship that's complimentary?

I checked out the Le Bistro menu (it'll be 2 of our 3 meals on the meal package), and I noticed that the coffee on the menu is Starbuck's.

So what's the pro's and con's of the Starbuck's package, and where must I be leery on the ship if I don't take the package?  (FYI... We're on the NCL Star in April).

If you aren’t picky, there is black coffee readily available all day long. I had the Starbucks package (not a big Starbucks but a big coffee fan). I tried the coffee available to everyone and I wasn’t personally impressed. But I would never drink black coffee either. If you are going to take your coffee black, there is no way the Starbucks package will bring you value. The coffee available to everyone could be found throughout the buffet, in the observation lounge (Bliss), and on the pool deck outside of the buffet. Non-Starbucks coffee is available in the MDR and the servers will leave a pot at your table if you like. 

I order coffee and fruit to be delivered to my room every morning and then also drink the coffee provided at the breakfast venue I choose (dining room, o’Sheehan’s or buffet) with my meal.   I will

load money on to my daughter’s Starbucks app for occasional fancy coffee for her to get.   My understanding is that everyone in the room has to get the package so we will just pay as we go if we get Starbucks.  

Edited by CedarLane
Added info.
  • Like 1

Here's a hint.

Bring an insulated 20 oz cup (metal or plastic) to fill in the buffet.  The cups there are small.  A 20 oz container will just fit under the coffee machine spigot.  They do have 3 or 4 types of sugar/sweetener and std small liquid creamer.  There may be a small dispenser for milk as well. 

On the larger ships, there is a coffee station just before you enter the buffet, so you can avoid the lines if you are not getting food.  There is also a manned beverage station (soda and juice) nearby, or just inside the buffet door on smaller ships.  Earliest bar for soda opens at 8:00 (most ships) and is poolside.  Be sure to have at least soda beverage package if you need soda everyday.  They will ask for your card.  

2 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

I checked out the Le Bistro menu (it'll be 2 of our 3 meals on the meal package), and I noticed that the coffee on the menu is Starbuck's.

I never got a solid answer on this when I asked...

Since Starbucks is prominently displayed in the Le Bistro menu in the "coffee" section ( and nothing else )...will they charge you extra for coffee when using FAS credits?  If so, that is pretty shady...

Anyone have the answer? 👍

Wifey is a huge Starbucks drinker.  One of the reasons we upgraded to the FAS+ as it included the Starbucks in the Premium Plus Bev package.  However, since we were in the Haven she discovered the coffee made in via their machines and quickly decided that was better than her usual Starbucks coffees.  Also, Haven has that Starbuck brand Coffee Press that lots of folks seem to like.  It is super dark and rich, which my wife did not like (in truth she's not a coffee press drinker anyway, too many grounds).  

So if the Haven might be an option, they have great coffee up there.

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Here's a hint.

Bring an insulated 20 oz cup (metal or plastic) to fill in the buffet.  The cups there are small.  A 20 oz container will just fit under the coffee machine spigot.  They do have 3 or 4 types of sugar/sweetener and std small liquid creamer.  There may be a small dispenser for milk as well. 

On the larger ships, there is a coffee station just before you enter the buffet, so you can avoid the lines if you are not getting food.  There is also a manned beverage station (soda and juice) nearby, or just inside the buffet door on smaller ships.  Earliest bar for soda opens at 8:00 (most ships) and is poolside.  Be sure to have at least soda beverage package if you need soda everyday.  They will ask for your card.  

Please note that you should be using the ship's cups to fill your own cup.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

I never got a solid answer on this when I asked...

Since Starbucks is prominently displayed in the Le Bistro menu in the "coffee" section ( and nothing else )...will they charge you extra for coffee when using FAS credits?  If so, that is pretty shady...

Anyone have the answer? 👍

"Proudly Serve Starbucks" coffee is available in all specialty restaurants. It is "Starbucks" coffee beans in an automatic espresso machine. 

You can also get regular coffee (free) in all restaurants. In Le Bistro, they usually serve it in a French press for free.

BTW: You need to allot time to finish the entire French Press because it is reallllly good!

image.png.aaf00661e2168f8939a00d2d2f1a9de1.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

You should never place a personal cup up to any drink dispenser (coffee, water, flavored water, juice) on the ship. You should always use a clean cup from the ship to fill your personal cup. 

• Like 3

Recently on breakaway. My daughter talked about getting the Starbucks package.  She didn’t like the dining room coffee so she would stop and get a cup of Starbucks before breakfast. Only two specialty coffees the whole week so the Starbucks package would not of been a good deal. I had a coffee pot brought to my cabin and coffee was fine. 
yes regular coffee is free everywhere. 

• Like 1