New to Siverseas too! Packing advice

travelfan20

44 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Removing a jacket doesn’t make a person less sophisticated. But paying too much attention to clothes does.

Actually it does.  It makes one look like a yokel.  If that's the image one wants to portray to the others onboard, that's up to him. 

9 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Actually it does.  It makes one look like a yokel.  If that's the image one wants to portray to the others onboard, that's up to him. 

well, according to this definition, Steve Jobs was a yokel. So we’re many other people who changed the world.

Personally I will always respect the dress code and dress respectfully. But if some people judge me by my clothes, it actually makes them yokels, not me..

You have evidence that Steve Jobs took off his dinner jacket at formal events or dinners?  If so, yes, I would say that he was portraying himself as a yokel.  In fact, I'd wager that Steve Jobs never did that at any formal event he went to.

You are clearly confusing the concepts of dressing for formal events vs. dressing for work.  Two completely different matters.

I'm glad that you will respect the dress code.  Everyone should.  That's the point.  If it is formal dress, then wear formal dress.  If it is business casual, then wear business casual.  Only an idiot would show up for work at Apple in a tuxedo.

On our last SS cruise we travelled with our friends. Four very successful, highly intelligent, highly educated couples, all with University degree, some with Master degree. As far as you can imagine from "yokels".

Guess what? All of them took their jackets off during dinner. It's just not very convenient to have your jacket on when you eat.

Those people travel the world to enjoy themselves. They know exactly who they are and what they are, and they really couldn't care less if other people consider them "yokels".

Personally, what people think about me is really the least of my worries. Life is short. Enjoy your travels and enjoy life, and don't judge the book by its cover.

• Like 3

Yes, it's just so inconvenient to eat with a jacket on.  Makes you wonder how anyone does it.

I'm a major proponent that everyone should wear whatever they want on a cruise without consideration for their fellow passengers. After all, it is their money, they should be allowed to wear whatever they choose.  They are there to enjoy themselves; they know who they are and what they are, and they couldn't care less about what others might think.

I look forward to the day I can sail about a Silversea ship and enjoy the marvelous view of a beautiful dining room filled with a wide variety of passengers in all manner of dress, including men in thongs, wife-beater shirts, hats with beer holders and tubes, and smoking cigars.

How quickly we moved from removing a jacket while dining to men in thongs and wife-beater shirts..

But yes, the whole industry is moving towards less formal dress code. Doesn't make SB, Regent or Oceania any less "sophisticated".

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 5:06 AM, Stumblefoot said:

Men? Yes.  Gentlemen? Never.

I total agree ... I only pop up when dress code is mention...as I'm usually blanked out ... But the dress code now is getting over done..as I have said before if you really have to ask how to dress for dinner well say  no more ... My husband and I along with family & friends have enjoyed silversea since 2005 and dress as we fill fit for the occasion.. I know a lot of passengers want to just chill & relax..but dinner for us is a special time.. ( you can do casual anytime)  we love to dress for dinner and to my husband there is no casual night in his itinerary 🤣.have posted the photos on many occasions... happy cruising 👔 next cruise Oct 2023 ...silver moon ..happy days 🥂

IMG_20221106_225055.jpg

IMG_20221106_225133.jpg

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Frankly, using derogatory language and name-calling is the antithesis of sophisticated and well-mannered.

Most of us were brought up better than to call names.

It gives a poor impression of SS passengers and is supremely unwelcoming to a first time SS passenger asking a polite question.

Edited by broker1217
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

I total agree ... I only pop up when dress code is mention...as I'm usually blanked out ... But the dress code now is getting over done..as I have said before if you really have to ask how to dress for dinner well say  no more ... My husband and I along with family & friends have enjoyed silversea since 2005 and dress as we fill fit for the occasion.. I know a lot of passengers want to just chill & relax..but dinner for us is a special time.. ( you can do casual anytime)  we love to dress for dinner and to my husband there is no casual night in his itinerary 🤣.have posted the photos on many occasions... happy cruising 👔 next cruise Oct 2023 ...silver moon ..happy days 🥂

IMG_20221106_225055.jpg

IMG_20221106_225133.jpg

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

Yes that's Manfred in the background...last night on silver spirit 2019.. ( hope I've spelt his name right ) ...

25 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

IMG_20221106_225055.jpg

IMG_20221106_225133.jpg

IMG_20191007_194530.jpg

You all look fabulous! I like to dress up too! After travel (well, actually, just  simply going out) was curtailed for quite a while in March 2020, I have decided I’m going to wear my finery every chance I get. I find dressing up fun and get it that some people don’t. On “formal” nights, I see a range of clothing, while mostly are “smart” looking. I do see fewer and fewer men wearing tuxedos. My husband wears a jacket and tie most every evening and dark pants with jacket and tie on formal nights. 

11 minutes ago, Sunny429 said:

You all look fabulous! I like to dress up too! After travel (well, actually, just  simply going out) was curtailed for quite a while in March 2020, I have decided I’m going to wear my finery every chance I get. I find dressing up fun and get it that some people don’t. On “formal” nights, I see a range of clothing, while mostly are “smart” looking. I do see fewer and fewer men wearing tuxedos. My husband wears a jacket and tie most every evening and dark pants with jacket and tie on formal nights. 

Fabulous keep it up ... Yes so many different dress attire but one choses what we  fill best in ..👔👗...as for us dress for dinner every night.. today husband casual...& Dinner silver dawn  Nov 2022😉🥂🤣

IMG_20221103_231955.jpg

IMG-20220613-WA0000.jpg

• 2 months later...

This thread is actually making me begin to lose interest in paying our hefty deposit in a few days time.

We picked SS because of the itinerary and the 'expedition' nature.  No other cruise line appears to be offering anything as exciting in the Arctic for the period we will be in Europe.  I had no idea we would have to factor in lugging formal wear across the world from Australia to Iceland, so that others may be happy,

I had images of polar bears and mind blowing landscapes, with unforgettable memories.

Have played 'the dress up game' on other cruise lines, where it's much easier if the departure port is closer to home, and you aren't tackling several seasons.

Someone suggested people don't cruise on SS if they don't want to dress like they are attending the Royal Wedding, but for some of us it's more about the destination than anything else? 

3 minutes ago, AusMum said:

This thread is actually making me begin to lose interest in paying our hefty deposit in a few days time.

We picked SS because of the itinerary and the 'expedition' nature.  No other cruise line appears to be offering anything as exciting in the Arctic for the period we will be in Europe.  I had no idea we would have to factor in lugging formal wear across the world from Australia to Iceland, so that others may be happy,

I had images of polar bears and mind blowing landscapes, with unforgettable memories.

Have played 'the dress up game' on other cruise lines, where it's much easier if the departure port is closer to home, and you aren't tackling several seasons.

Someone suggested people don't cruise on SS if they don't want to dress like they are attending the Royal Wedding, but for some of us it's more about the destination than anything else? 

The expedition cruises are a lot less formal and, in fact, as I recall formal nights are actually optional.  Even on the regular fleet formal nights have really been toned down and we see a lot fewer gowns, tuxes, etc., than when we started with Silversea 12 years ago.   Personally I have stopped taking my tux and all the accessories and feel quite at home with a dark suit.   A coat and tie for men and a dressier top for women seems to be becoming the standard.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AusMum said:

I wouldn't worry too much. It's much less strict while on board than some of the members here suggest. And don't pay too much attention to what other people say. 

Also, I think it's very different on expedition cruises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I wouldn't worry too much. It's much less strict while on board than some of the members here suggest. And don't pay too much attention to what other people say. 

Also, I think it's very different on expedition cruises.

Thanks!

it's really confusing, and I do understand where some are coming from.

I've traveled on a few cruises to The South Pacific where it's traditional to have theme nights and formal nights, and you do get disappointed when people show up at the dining room on those nights in shorts and flip flops.

I'm hoping the Arctic cruise will feel more like a David Attenborough expedition than ..The Titanic 🙂

10 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

The expedition cruises are a lot less formal and, in fact, as I recall formal nights are actually optional.  Even on the regular fleet formal nights have really been toned down and we see a lot fewer gowns, tuxes, etc., than when we started with Silversea 12 years ago.   Personally I have stopped taking my tux and all the accessories and feel quite at home with a dark suit.   A coat and tie for men and a dressier top for women seems to be becoming the standard.   

I can easily throw in some nice dresses (silk is so light these days), but more worried about hubby taking a jacket etc  via Singapore, London, Copenhagen, rural Denmark, then by train to Amsterdam and London, before our departure in Iceland.  We might be able to come up with a nice jacket that 'travels well'.  He's an accountant, so has loads of suits and ties, but the airlines are becoming even tighter on how much we can travel with.

2 minutes ago, AusMum said:

Thanks!

it's really confusing, and I do understand where some are coming from.

I've traveled on a few cruises to The South Pacific where it's traditional to have theme nights and formal nights, and you do get disappointed when people show up at the dining room on those nights in shorts and flip flops.

I'm hoping the Arctic cruise will feel more like a David Attenborough expedition than ..The Titanic 🙂

Yes, I also would be disappointed seeing people in shorts and flip flops. But there is always a middle ground. Dressy pants and dressy shirt for men should be sufficient on most nights. And if they really want to have formal nights, then jacket on formal nights, tie optional. This is how it used to be on Crystal.

I'm sure over time SS will adjust and go with the trend. Meanwhile just enjoy your cruise and don't overthink it!

I have until August next year to get us sorted! 🙂. I had never heard of SS until we saw an advertisement on tv showing ice and polar bears.

We had booked to go to Antarctica on Celebrity in 2021, following a 2019 Med cruise, and 2018 Alaskan cruise with them.  Of course Covid meant this didn't happen, but we had already been struggling with how we were going to get from Western Australia to Argentina to get on the cruise in the first place.

We have a wedding to attend in Denmark (August 2024), and had a light bulb moment where we realised we could more easily access the Arctic than Antarctica, for a similar wilderness experience, taking advantage of already being in Europe.

I came very close to dying in 2021/22 from septicaemia.  Even though I'm only in my 50s, the reality is you can't always rely on, "I'll wait until we retire to experience our dreams."

• Like 1

I have never taken an "Expedition Cruise" but every thread I have read about it says there are no formal nights on those sailings. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I have never taken an "Expedition Cruise" but every thread I have read about it says there are no formal nights on those sailings. 

Correct.  There are no formal nights on an Expedition Cruise.  Expeditions are much for informal and relaxed.  A simple blue blazer and an optional tie will get you through the Expedition Cruise.  People aren't expected to dress up, and it is very different from a regular Silversea cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AusMum said:

I have until August next year to get us sorted! 🙂. I had never heard of SS until we saw an advertisement on tv showing ice and polar bears.

We had booked to go to Antarctica on Celebrity in 2021, following a 2019 Med cruise, and 2018 Alaskan cruise with them.  Of course Covid meant this didn't happen, but we had already been struggling with how we were going to get from Western Australia to Argentina to get on the cruise in the first place.

We have a wedding to attend in Denmark (August 2024), and had a light bulb moment where we realised we could more easily access the Arctic than Antarctica, for a similar wilderness experience, taking advantage of already being in Europe.

I came very close to dying in 2021/22 from septicaemia.  Even though I'm only in my 50s, the reality is you can't always rely on, "I'll wait until we retire to experience our dreams."

I’m boarding Silver Explorer tomorrow for a Kimberley expedition cruise.  I’m going on a S/S Antarctica cruise at the end of the year and Arctic cruise next October.  No formal nights expected.  I’ll post my observations here after each cruise to confirm.  I am taking a couple of dresses, but the sort I would wear when out and about during the day or out to lunch.  Carol

43 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I’m boarding Silver Explorer tomorrow for a Kimberley expedition cruise.  I’m going on a S/S Antarctica cruise at the end of the year and Arctic cruise next October.  No formal nights expected.  I’ll post my observations here after each cruise to confirm.  I am taking a couple of dresses, but the sort I would wear when out and about during the day or out to lunch.  Carol

Wow, you have some great cruises lined up!  Enjoy!