Packing List - Cruise Essentials

kh6275

5 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Blender and Fan.....Volt converter and power strip

https://amzn.to/3RqBOGl

https://amzn.to/3RooNNy

https://amzn.to/3HPnIeu

https://amzn.to/40jJhet

I hope you fan keeps working for ya......there are numouse reviews that say it stops working after a few days. ugh! I want one but I am hesitating. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, uneamie said:

I hope you fan keeps working for ya......there are numouse reviews that say it stops working after a few days. ugh! I want one but I am hesitating. 

I have it for about 3 years, take it any time we travel. Knock on wood... no issues with it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

You are exactly right. You would think it would be easy to get otc meds at ports. Some pharmacies put them under the control of the pharmacist. There were times even the pharmacist didn't know the equivalent. My dh has has a bronchial and ain't infection for the past few days onboard right now. Despite having proper antibiotics and meds he has needed two trips to the medical center. Both doctors were competent and the last gave him a steroid shot and breathing treatment. Lots of bronchitis on the ship. 

Also, ALL the onboard shops were close on the NCL epic this past November. They were changing vendors. Ships were totally empty for five days and no otc meds were available in the shops. You never know what you will encounter. Life isn't easy in many parts of the world.

when you said that you were on the Epic and the stores were closed, I said to myself, "That person must have been on our cruise." Then I saw your name, so "Hi, Donna." We're looking forward to our Prima cruise later this year. Time for its full payment is coming up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kh6275 said:

What are some of your must haves while cruising? Here is my list to outfit the 2 bedroom on the Getaway (2 adults & 2 kids). 

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/140Q3W7MOEY49?ref_=wl_share

Love my magnets,  bring my skinny hanger with clothes on them, up, and out, and done,    The luggage tags came highly recommended and we have lost them all , 2 on the last cruise and they took our luggage to lost tag area.  ( had they looked inside they would have seen a duplicate tag saying who it belonged to)  
I over pack and have never regretted it, I use everything I pack one way or another,  I can't live in rolled up  shorts, t shirts,  swimsuits/coverups  and  flip flops.   If I am sweaty I cannot wear that top another time, it grosses me out.  same for bottoms or a dress.  I don't generally use the laundry but for jeans and hubs will do his  things, but he doesn't do rolled up shorts and such either, He wears well packed nice shirts and shorts/ pants ( at night) and shoes or sneakers, and sandals only at a beach or the pool.  
Be sure to pack plenty of sunscreen if going to a tropical climate the sun is very different in strenght.   I love my shoe hanger for multiple items.  I use my suitcases open,  under the bed as drawers for shoes and less used items.  
I have always said it is better to have and not need than need and not have.  

• Like 1

I am an over packer too.  But everyone always knows if they forget something, I am bound to have it! 😂😂

I sent a list to my friend who is going on the cruise.  My list was over 5 pages long. 🤐

some other things I have that you don’t yet:

1. If you are flying, have wired headphones OR a Bluetooth adapter for wireless headphones for in flight movies 

2. ziploc bags

3. Travel size bottle brush and travel size dish soap.  I don’t like my water bottle being dirty and need to wash it more than once a week

OXO Tot Travel Size Drying Rack with Bottle Brush- Gray https://a.co/d/37BCine

4. Travel laundry soap for sink washing clothes

5. Soap sheets (for hand washing when no soap is around)

6. Tiny battery powered flashlight 

7. Tiny battery powered alarm clock 

8. RFID blocking passport holders

9. Tiny pump to inflate water toys (like this one)

FLEXTAILGEAR - MAX Pump Plus Portable Air Pump with 3600mAh Battery USB Rechargeable Lightest Air Pump to Quick Inflate Deflate for Pool Floats Air Bed Air Mattress Swimming Ring (White)… https://a.co/d/cGrf128

10. Waterproof digital watch (Timex style, not Smart watch)

I have quite a few more things but those are the ones I would start with.  #9 depends if you are bringing inflatable floats for the beach for the kids or not, and want to inflate them by mouth. 

I like tiny, packable items because I don’t take too many pieces of luggage with me, but I also want to make sure I don’t forget anything.  My friends laugh at my lists but I am pleased when I have everything I need or want.

• Like 1

Not sure if NCL has stopped using straws or not but would add silicone or metal straws to the list if it was me. We have those on our packing list now. You can also get collapsible metal ones with cases that are really nice as you can keep them in the case after they've been used until you have a chance to rinse them out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sunkey1 said:

Not sure if NCL has stopped using straws or not but would add silicone or metal straws to the list if it was me. We have those on our packing list now. You can also get collapsible metal ones with cases that are really nice as you can keep them in the case after they've been used until you have a chance to rinse them out.

Or, just bring some plastic, disposable, straws.  

35 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Or, just bring some plastic, disposable, straws.  

Nope, sorry, but ever since I saw the video of people extracting a plastic, disposable straw from a turtle's nose, I'm trying to do what little bit I can for the environment. Is it a minor inconvenience to do this? Yes. Is it worth it to me, absolutely. To each his own though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

They make the straws out of agave now. Plastic straws available at Starbucks. At least this is how it was on the 12/31 - 1/8 Getaway sailing.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

Nope, sorry, but ever since I saw the video of people extracting a plastic, disposable straw from a turtle's nose, I'm trying to do what little bit I can for the environment. Is it a minor inconvenience to do this? Yes. Is it worth it to me, absolutely. To each his own though.

That video is fake. 

https://phantomplastics.com/sea-turtle-straw-fake-how-we-were-fooled-into-believing-this-urban-legend/

The problem of plastics in the oceans do not come from cruise ships but from third world countries who dispose of plastics by dumping them in the oceans.

These are the ten biggest dumpers of plastics in the ocean. 

China (21.5 billion kg)

Brazil (10.6 billion kg)

Indonesia (9.1 billion kg)

Russian Federation (8.4 billion kg)

Germany (6.6 billion kg)

United Kingdom (6.4 billion kg)

Mexico (5.9 billion kg)

Japan (4.8 billion kg)

Now tell me again how banning plastic straws stops ocean pollution.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

FLEXTAILGEAR - MAX Pump Plus Portable Air Pump with 3600mAh Battery USB Rechargeable Lightest Air Pump to Quick Inflate Deflate for Pool Floats Air Bed Air Mattress Swimming Ring (White)… https://a.co/d/cGrf128

I have quite a few more things but those are the ones I would start with.  #9 depends if you are bringing inflatable floats for the beach for the kids or not, and want to inflate them by mouth. 

I had no idea that such a small, portable air pump existed.  That is ingenious!

1) Magnetic hooks 

2) clothes pins/bungee cords (for a makeshift clothesline )

3) laundry fabric detergent sheets (to hand wash bathing suits and under garments on longer cruises) 

4) foldable hangers 

5)full variety of OTC meds and first aid stuff 

95A8090A-65D8-4281-B973-D6436D2C59AA.thumb.jpeg.0bb87577a878af132638263fad9500b9.jpegC3377C9A-7689-4462-AFC8-621F2C2D43B7.thumb.jpeg.ca6bef6fff22b9b85d1a2c4fccd8dadd.jpegCF4ED70F-39F5-4CF3-98B2-22AAE8A323CA.thumb.jpeg.78e8b5abcacf39715017e5954dc0ee16.jpeg

CD21C7D9-9348-4DF2-8AAB-ACA0E218919A.thumb.jpeg.663044585b2674ca3bd8fe5abd32142c.jpeg72061167-D3FA-4D0E-BFB9-DFB8E85BEB29.thumb.jpeg.43a50373f60fcf37f0c162d53b65e2a4.jpeg

Edited by styles27
  • Like 6

On 2/2/2023 at 12:29 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Now tell me again how banning plastic straws stops ocean pollution.

Never said it would stop, merely said that I was going to try doing my part to help in the most miniscule of ways. You're free to keep living your life as you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:35 AM, sunkey1 said:

And don't be like Mrs. Spiff.  We went to an all-inclusive last spring that would put the drinks in your own insulated mug.  And, unlike their reputation of watering down drinks, they were quite heavy-handed with the rum punch, a favorite of both of ours.  Mrs. Spiff brought five silicone straws with her and only came back with three...  (Me, I just drank it out of the mug without a straw.  Otherwise I would have lost the others!)

EDIT:  That brings up a point --  what is the protocol of using your own mug vs. the cups that NCL provides?   I'm specifically thinking of soda and such, not the bar drinks.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

OP- I know many are laughing at you but I have all you have on your list pretty much and more! We all like to travel differently. Kuddos to you for being so 'over the top'! Many of us out there are just like you are!

I also have what you have on your list plus a hanging shoe organizer,  a shower curtain and cord to separate our room up for changing purposes, collapsible water bottles, water proof phone pouches, water shoes for all, a travel flat/curling iron in 1, magnets for the room/shower cord, a shower caddy for more space to store shampoo etc., lanyards for our sign/sail cards, cruise luggage tags, battery operated touch lights. Plus---like EVERY med for EVERY kind of ailment known to mankind 🤣

People can laugh all they want. We like to have our cabin this way and are pleased to 'move in'. 

1 hour ago, asmit4 said:

OP- I know many are laughing at you but I have all you have on your list pretty much and more! We all like to travel differently. Kuddos to you for being so 'over the top'! Many of us out there are just like you are!

I also have what you have on your list plus a hanging shoe organizer,  a shower curtain and cord to separate our room up for changing purposes, collapsible water bottles, water proof phone pouches, water shoes for all, a travel flat/curling iron in 1, magnets for the room/shower cord, a shower caddy for more space to store shampoo etc., lanyards for our sign/sail cards, cruise luggage tags, battery operated touch lights. Plus---like EVERY med for EVERY kind of ailment known to mankind 🤣

People can laugh all they want. We like to have our cabin this way and are pleased to 'move in'. 

I’m glad you too enjoy the art of crazy packing. To each their own. Hopefully we can recruit some crazy packers to the dark side. My packed medicine cabinet has helped many a cruiser. Cheers. 

For me, head pain of any kind is the absolute worst. I once had my wisdom teeth removed. They were impacted. As a result, I got what’s called a dry socket. The pain was equivalent to my arm being cut off at the elbow. To this day,  I NEVER leave for vacation without a toothache first aid kit (available at CVS). It has the necessary ingredients for all things tooth related. I would rather be without a change of underwear before I’d be without my toothache first aid kit. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

For me, head pain of any kind is the absolute worst. I once had my wisdom teeth removed. They were impacted. I got what’s called a dry socket. The pain was equivalent to my arm being cut off at the elbow. As a result, I NEVER leave for vacation without a toothache first aid kit (available at CVS). It has the necessary ingredients for all things tooth related. I would rather be without a change of underwear before I’d be without my toothache first aid kit. 

So true! Dry socket is the worst. My sister lost a crown in Roatan, what a port visit that was. My tooth kit is lacking.