Is the laundromat free?

kj_connections

On 2/2/2023 at 8:48 AM, Cupcake0314 said:

We were on the Crown in November, 2022 and the laundromats were free.

Still free March 2023.

I use the laundry every cruise but somehow I've not yet (knock on wood) had a problem with folks leaving clothes in the machines when they're done. Good thing I guess because I couldn't see myself taking anyone's clothes out of a machine, especially out of a washer. I agree it's rude behavior, but that's just not my style. What I will do is consider doing wash at any machine within a reasonable distance, so maybe a deck up and one down and either port or starboard side. Once when I inadvertently chose a busy laundry day, I packed up my wet clothes from one room and carried them to the other side of the ship because someone was hogging both dryers with one load of wash.

It's only free on Discovery, but on the other ships it's still cheap, a good thing because it cuts down on demand--bring your own detergent pods to save more. My hack to get free laundry on all ships was to do enough 3-night Pacific coastal cruises to get to Elite status, which gets free laundry, since Princess is the only line I know of that gives loyalty level based on number of cruises, and not just cruise days, and they are also were generous enough to give 2 cruise credits for every one sailed by a solo like me. 

We have had a couple of cruises in the last two years where laundry was no charge because the token dispensers were out of order.  Typically the laundry is not free. It’s $3 to wash and $3 to dry.  Plan on that and if you happen to get free laundry it will be a happy surprise! 

• Like 2

We will be traveling the week prior to our cruise so we will need to do laundry on board.  Does anyone have tips for when the best times the machines might be free?  I know it differs by every cruise and what not but has anyone seen trends like early-morning or late-night or early in the cruise vs. late in the cruise affects availability?

17 hours ago, Diamondback said:

We will be traveling the week prior to our cruise so we will need to do laundry on board.  Does anyone have tips for when the best times the machines might be free?  I know it differs by every cruise and what not but has anyone seen trends like early-morning or late-night or early in the cruise vs. late in the cruise affects availability?

In my experience the best times to find machines available is during the times people are at dinner  (5:00 pm -8:00 pm) and on port days.YMMV

• Like 2

On 4/17/2023 at 10:27 AM, cdrmer said:

Can laundry be done on a cold water wash. Thought I read after covid that a cold water wash was not an option.

Thanks

Are you asking about Princess doing the laundry or yourself using the laundromat?

Last year while on the Discovery, a crew member assigned to the laundry room for clean up asked us if the clothes in the stopped dryer were ours and we said "no" that they belonged to someone who hadn't returned in the 20 minutes that we had been there.  The crew member opened the machine up and put them on top of the dryer.  We usually stay while our laundry is washing and drying as we want to make sure to remove our clothes ASAP so other cruisers can use the machines.  Unfortunately, some people don't care about other cruisers --- such a shame.

3 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Last year while on the Discovery, a crew member assigned to the laundry room for clean up asked us if the clothes in the stopped dryer were ours and we said "no" that they belonged to someone who hadn't returned in the 20 minutes that we had been there.  The crew member opened the machine up and put them on top of the dryer.  We usually stay while our laundry is washing and drying as we want to make sure to remove our clothes ASAP so other cruisers can use the machines.  Unfortunately, some people don't care about other cruisers --- such a shame.

If the crew didn't do it, I would. 

They should post a sign letting people know that. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, theloo said:

So, is there self-service laundry on every ship?  I'm on the Emerald for 16 days.  Thank you!

Just off the Emerald.  Yes one on every floor, which was a good thing, because on a 15 day cruise they were busy (and because there were machines out of order).  Actually found that the laundromat on the floor above us was a shorter walk then the one on our floor.  And sometimes token machines and/or soap purchase machines were out of product, also necessitating a walk to another floor.

Ran in to a very experienced cruiser in the laundromat and she had two things I'm definitely going to get before next cruise:  She brought a flat package of dry washer detergent sheets that dissolve in the washer, (as well as dryer sheets)  and a laundry basket that folds flat in your suitcase.  Both from Amazon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeffM1 said:

Ran in to a very experienced cruiser in the laundromat and she had two things I'm definitely going to get before next cruise:  She brought a flat package of dry washer detergent sheets that dissolve in the washer, (as well as dryer sheets)  and a laundry basket that folds flat in your suitcase.  Both from Amazon.

Go to Amazon and buy WashEZE 3-in-1 sheets. Take them out of the box before you pack (they come in a pouch). They are good for washing and drying.

I have also used Lucky Fiji Power Sheets (meh) and Breezeo (which can also be used for hand washing but is not a 3-in-1).

Edited by xamsx
  • Like 1

On the Caribbean Princess 14 day. Laundromat has been closed for the cruise. They claim noro is passed there. BS. We didn’t pack for the whole cruise. We have undies hanging out our balcony. No one know anything. 

• Haha 1