Is the laundromat free?

kj_connections

4 minutes ago, kj_connections said:

Is the laundromat free on every Princess ship? I was just on the Discovery Princess and discovered the laundromat (it was free to use) on my 2nd last day of the cruise

Not normally.  It’s usually $3 a load and & $3 a dry.

But, some have reported on some ships  they have been free to use.  I didn’t check on any of ours recently, because were Elite.  

You were lucky!  

1 minute ago, PacnGoNow said:

Not normally.  It’s usually $3 a load and & $3 a dry.

But, some have reported on some ships  they have been free to use.  I didn’t check on any of ours recently, because were Elite.  

You were lucky!  

Thanks!  The detergent and fabric softener sheets were free too... 🙂

speaking of laundry machines...how long is it appropriate to wait if somebody has used a washer or dryer and it is finished before u remove their stuff and use the machine for your stuff? 

seems some people can't measure time or don't care and are in no hurry to come back and check when finished?  I recall the times for wash and dry are clearly posted so it is not some big mystery.

I would think if it sits finished for more than 10-15 mins it would be ok to empty it out?  Every time i go the machines are all in use so no fun to sit and wait and wait til some user finally comes back to get their stuff so others  can use the machine....and some get all huffy if you empty their stuff out...don't really need to get into any hassles with anyone in the laundry room....

They were not free on the Enchanted Princess a couple of weeks ago. 

The times for the wash and dryers was posted on the wall. But we too had issues with people not coming and getting their stuff out. I found one washer that was available but both dryers and one washer were full, all had stopped but were full of clothes. So was able to wash one load, I sat on top of the washer since there were no chairs and waited for someone to come. Well my one washer completely finished and I waited. I had my wife go check the Landry on the other side of the ship there was one dryer “that was empty” put 6 dollars worth of tokens in it and it did not work. Went back more time had passed still nobody had removed their stuff out of any of the machines. So after 1 hour 30 min of me being actually in the laundry not up on deck in a lounge chair I dumped their stuff out of one of the dryers. Started my second load. And still sat on top of the machine waiting because I did not want my stuff dumped out and to see if they ever came back. I was able to finish my second wash load, we are now talking about over 2 and 1/2 hours later she finally shows up looking fresh off the pool deck drink in hand.  And gets all pissed off I dumped her stuff out. Saying she set her phone etc. will admit I kind of lost it and told her will it seems either you do not know how to set your phone or she may have noted the timer went off but then took a tour of the ship to get back to the laundry that took over 2 hours to get back. Sorry for the rant this is still kind of fresh and this just really set me off. 

I was surprised at the number of machines only 2 washers and 2 dryers. On the Coral the laundry we used there had 4 washers and 4 dryers that were stacked on top of each other.  I would have thought on a newer ship there would have been more.   

We are Elite and have used the laundry service let’s say every time we have we have lost clothes, comes back missing buttons, or days after when we were “supposed” to get it back. Oh you say report the lost items, they came and searched our room and we were treated like we committed a felony, I still was given the impression they did not believe us. 

• Like 3

So once waiting for a washer i sat patiently for 20 mins as one of the machines was full of clothes but finished...all machines busy but i am next in line.....finally take them out then some jerk comes in five minutes later and creates a big fuss and calling me names over me daring to remove his clothes.....i guess he was special and was too busy to come back in timely manner...takes all kinds and yes some are truly jerks...i wish they would put signs in laundry saying any stopped machine can be emptied and used by next guess after 10 minutes.....so please if u use laundry watch your time and come back and get your stuff taken care of as there are lots of other people waiting to use machines....

• Like 4

12 hours ago, kj_connections said:

Is the laundromat free on every Princess ship? I was just on the Discovery Princess and discovered the laundromat (it was free to use) on my 2nd last day of the cruise

We were on the Crown in November, 2022 and the laundromats were free.

13 hours ago, dockman said:

speaking of laundry machines...how long is it appropriate to wait if somebody has used a washer or dryer and it is finished before u remove their stuff and use the machine for your stuff? 

Immediately when it's done. The machines have timers so if they can't come back in time that's their problem. Last week we were on a land & cruise trip to Hawaii (NCL) and needed to do laundry at the hotel before boarding ship. There was a big line of people waiting for machines. I took out someone's washing and sat it on the counter. My clothes were fully washed AND dried and the washer person STILL hadn't come back. Rude. So everyone else waiting there in person for machines was supposed to wait apparently hours for this person to come back? Don't think so and everyone in line agreed 😀

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2023 at 8:04 PM, kj_connections said:

That's what I experienced in August 2022 (Alaska itinerary) on Discovery.  Machines/dryers were free to use AND there was free soap and dryer sheets.  I've not seen that on any other ship.

• Like 1

I plan on using the laundromats on turnaround days or the last/first days since we're on a B2B2B and another B2B later.  If they're free, or if they'll give us tokens at the guest dis-service desk so much the better.  I'm a little leary of the free laundry service, biggest fear is that they'll toss a suit or tux into hot water.

On the grand in October the laundromat was free as we’re the soap and dryer sheets. Very surprised. Although we qualified for free laundry I prefer to have more control over how my is washed. Hubby sent his out though 

We were on a recent 15 day cruise out of LA to Hawaii on the Crown. We did our own laundry on Day 5, on Baja deck, right before we arrived for our 4 straight days in the Hawaiian islands. We also did some laundry on Day 10 immediately after the islands. We were glad we chose the early morning hours (8am) to do this task as other passengers were attempting to use the few washers/dryers later in the morning and they were all taken. People were coming down from other decks where washers were not working, it was frustrating for them. By the way, the washers, dryers were free. (The machines will have signs saying they require coins. Ignore those signs, they are free).The soaps and dryer sheets were NOT free. We bring our own supplies anyway so it didn’t affect us. I don’t like the idea of interrupting our cruise time to do laundry but it did save us from bringing clothes for 15 days. A friend who traveled with us did all her wash and her husband’s wash on the last day of the cruise so she wouldn’t need to do it when she got home. I myself would savor my last cruise day and not do wash but that’s just my own preference.

5 hours ago, Eleanor Rigby 14 said:

. A friend who traveled with us did all her wash and her husband’s wash on the last day of the cruise so she wouldn’t need to do it when she got home. I myself would savor my last cruise day and not do wash but that’s just my own preference.

Agree!  Load them into the suitcases and hope the airline loses them! 🙂

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Princess needs to enhance the tier level perks like RC and Celebrity and give wash n fold bags of laundry as an added perk. We've never used the Princess laundry rooms.

Elites already get free laundry service - are you talking about something different?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1