Oceana first timer with basic question

SSFrance69

Hi all,

I have a very basic question about packing for my upcoming cruise. I tried searching the forums and didn't find the same question with an answer, so here it goes. I see a "flat iron" in the list of items you can't pack. I'm assuming that means a hair flat iron? My question is are you allowed to bring on a curling iron or hot rollers. 

Thank you!

36 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

Hi all,

I have a very basic question about packing for my upcoming cruise. I tried searching the forums and didn't find the same question with an answer, so here it goes. I see a "flat iron" in the list of items you can't pack. I'm assuming that means a hair flat iron? My question is are you allowed to bring on a curling iron or hot rollers. 

Thank you!

You can't bring anything on board that has a heating element.  It is in the FAQ's on the website.

3 hours ago, 1cruiselvr said:

That’s ridiculous. A woman needs something for her hair. They provide a hair dryer, that gets hot so why not a simple flat iron?

Because a hair dryer will not start a fire if left on a towel or bed. The hair dryer case stays cool while curling irons and flat irons do not. 

• Like 2

Coming from the UK I understood a flat iron to be an item used to flatten/straighten clothes. These are available for use on board and there’s no need to weigh down your luggage with one.🙂. For hair we use the terms curling tongs and straightening tongs.I understood that these were allowed on board. 🤔

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Coming from the UK I understood a flat iron to be an item used to flatten/straighten clothes. These are available for use on board and there’s no need to weigh down your luggage with one.🙂. For hair we use the terms curling tongs and straightening tongs.I understood that these were allowed on board. 🤔

Or curling iron in the US.  My wife brought her curling iron on Sirena last month and left it out in plain sight multiple times without the Hair Appliance Police swat team breaking our door down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Or curling iron in the US.  My wife brought her curling iron on Sirena last month and left it out in plain sight multiple times without the Hair Appliance Police swat team breaking our door down.

Good! I do need my straightening tongs/iron.😀

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Good to know!! So, what kind of outlet? Do I bring my USA one or European one? The reason I ask is that my USA one will not work with a converter, it starts to overheat. I have one I bought in Spain, but never tried using a converter on that one. 

Thanks for sharing what kind of plug your wife has on her curling iron. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

Good to know!! So, what kind of outlet? Do I bring my USA one or European one? The reason I ask is that my USA one will not work with a converter, it starts to overheat. I have one I bought in Spain, but never tried using a converter on that one. 

Thanks for sharing what kind of plug your wife has on her curling iron. 

The US plug by the desk worked with no issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is on Oceania's list of what not to bring onboard:

Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

I once forgot to unplug my cell phone and when I came back to the cabin, they had it unplugged. I''m a rule-follower so I can do without a curling iron or whatever while I'm on a cruise ship.

Edited by sunlover12
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.

I once forgot to unplug my cell phone and when I came back to the cabin, they had it unplugged. I''m a rule-follower so I can do without a curling iron or whatever while I'm on a cruise ship.

Possibly because it was plugged in and unsupervised. 🤷🏼‍♀️

26 minutes ago, turnip eater said:

Possibly because it was plugged in and unsupervised. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes, of course.  The point I was trying to make is that if they see something in your cabin that shouldn't be there or if they see a cell phone that is plugged in and left unattended, don't be surprised if they do something about it. It will depend on your cabin attendant of course but don't be surprised if a curling iron, etc is seized. 

Keep in mind that the biggest risk a ship faces is fire. We should all do our part in being safe.

JMO

Edited by sunlover12
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

Hi all,

Thank you!

I've taken on hair straightener/curler without any problems. They do ask that you unplug any electrical devices when you leave your room.

There are clothes irons in the laundry room, so you don't need to bring an iron for your clothes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Here is an example of why Oceania does allow you to bring heated rollers on board- which I have done on 20 cruises with no issues.

I shipped my bag to my cruise last year.  I got an email that it had arrived at the ship.  When I boarded, I waited for my bag to arrive in my cabin.  As we were getting close to leaving, I started getting worried and asking where it was.  Finally someone said it was in the receiving area(aka naughty room).  I went down to that area and the person there thought I might have a heating blanket in my luggage- strangely, they hadn't opened it to check. The person who xrayed it had slapped a sticker saying heating blanket.

I said it was my heating rollers and opened the bag to show them and they said no problem and gave me the bag with my rollers.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Here is an example of why Oceania does allow you to bring heated rollers on board- which I have done on 20 cruises with no issues.

I shipped my bag to my cruise last year.  I got an email that it had arrived at the ship.  When I boarded, I waited for my bag to arrive in my cabin.  As we were getting close to leaving, I started getting worried and asking where it was.  Finally someone said it was in the receiving area(aka naughty room).  I went down to that area and the person there thought I might have a heating blanket in my luggage- strangely, they hadn't opened it to check. The person who xrayed it had slapped a sticker saying heating blanket.

I said it was my heating rollers and opened the bag to show them and they said no problem and gave me the bag with my rollers.

If they do allow it, they should then remove that from the list of banned items to bring onboard that is currently on their website. Oceania is contradicting themselves by saying that they're banning it but then saying "no problem" when you're on the ship.

I'm in the camp of doing as much as I personally can to be safe for myself and others around me. If that means that my hair is not going to look like it does when I'm not on a ship, that's okay.  There are safety rules for a reason.  Just last week, there was a commercial plane in the US that made an emergency landing because there was a fire in the cabin.  Turns out that a passenger was carrying lithium batteries. Thankfully they were in his carry-on but if they had been in the cargo hold that plane would have been a goner. 

There is a discussion about this on an Oceania Facebook page. I don't know if I'm permitted to post a link here. 
Several people have stated they bring their flat iron on their O cruises and have left them out and never had an issue.