Radiance 2/27 10nt sailing is UDP $211.99/pp a good price?

1 minute ago, CruiseMomTX said:

We are sailing on the Radiance 2/27, 10 nights and the UDP is showing $211.99/pp right now (plus tax & grat).  Is that a good price?  

Not a bad price... but...I would never buy the UDP on a small ship, especially for 10 days.  You will have a really small variety of restaurants.  We only purchase the UDP on an Oasis class ship.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Not a bad price... but...I would never buy the UDP on a small ship, especially for 10 days.  You will have a really small variety of restaurants.  We only purchase the UDP on an Oasis class ship.

That was our first thought not enough venues to use the UDP but we thought it sounded like a good price. We have not done the UDP since 2019 and only on an Oasis class ship but thought we might like the variety since it is a longer sailing for us.  We could enjoy some nice lunches on sea days.  Do you know if we can do lunch on embarkation day in a specialty restaurant?  

Well that's enough to convince us, lol.  I just purchased it and we picked a time for the first night but it did not say which restaurant.  Can we make all our reservations now or we have to wait until we board?  I wish the MDR menus would hurry up and show up so we can see if there are any nights we do want to eat in the MDR.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

Well that's enough to convince us, lol.  I just purchased it and we picked a time for the first night but it did not say which restaurant.  Can we make all our reservations now or we have to wait until we board?  I wish the MDR menus would hurry up and show up so we can see if there are any nights we do want to eat in the MDR.

With the UDP you must wait to make reservations when you board… that’s the trade-off for the savings.

11 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

We plan our reservations before we even board and go to the maitre d at any restaurant immediately when we board to get all our reservations in. There is some ability to change after that, but we don't like to wait until 8 or later for dinner

Jewel has a 14 night right now for $297

Chops

Giovanni's

Izumi

Could also do all 3 for lunch

8 sea days, Sure could pile in a lot of food on those sea days with Lunch and Dinner

I guess Chef's Table can't be used for that right?

5 night UDP is $162, so not that great of a deal.....but really a 5 night one with our 2 Diamond Plus  B1G1F , that would give us like 7 nights of specialty dining which would be nice. Not sure we could eat all that food for 14 nights.

Edited by Jimbo

For the first day Chops has a lunch menu and nowhere else so I guess that is were we will be able to eat on embarkation day for lunch.  Giovanni's menu isn't up for the most part for the whole cruise, wonder why since I figure it's the same as other ships.  I like that there are a few difference in the lunch and dinner menus and we will have to make a schedule to book once onward.

I'm on the march 27, same itinerary as yours. I missed the jan 30th. My only thoughts would be about how long your excursions are. I took the shortest one that sees some of the locks, but it's still 7 hours. I have a shorter one for Colombia.  The others I've been to. The jan 30 is just back with rave reviews. 

5 ports, how  much time will you spend in the ports. You gotta eat somewhere though and service might be faster. The lunch menu at Giovanni looks excellent. 

I'm spending a lot on excursions not food this cruise. Doing it for the ports. Not a bad price for 10 days though.

56 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Jewel has a 14 night right now for $297

Chops

Giovanni's

Izumi

Could also do all 3 for lunch

8 sea days, Sure could pile in a lot of food on those sea days with Lunch and Dinner

I guess Chef's Table can't be used for that right?

5 night UDP is $162, so not that great of a deal.....but really a 5 night one with our 2 Diamond Plus  B1G1F , that would give us like 7 nights of specialty dining which would be nice. Not sure we could eat all that food for 14 nights.

Only thing about lunch is on port days these restaurants will not be open, they are on sea days. I know recently chops sells for 50 or more for dinner without package.

8 hours ago, George C said:

Only thing about lunch is on port days these restaurants will not be open, they are on sea days. I know recently chops sells for 50 or more for dinner without package.

Wouldn't bother us though because during lunch time on port days we would be off the ship enjoying the port.

Dinner              Lunch         Prices Currently  without package

Chops           $44.99            $21.99

Giovanni's    $37.99            $18.99

Izumi            $28.99             $28.99

Edited by Jimbo

Don't you get a Chef's Table discount with UDP? Radiance Class has a private dining room for that and it's a very nice experience. 

Be advised the menu is the same across the fleet but the wines change up a bit.

• Like 1

I did the UDP on an 11 night Radiance sailing. I don't think many other people had booked it because the specialty restaurants were empty. We had boarded thinking we needed to reserve each dinner ahead of time but that was not the case. Of course, that's hard to predict ahead of time.

The service was perfect. Friendly, but they left us alone to eat. I'm one of those people that can't stand being asked to evaluate crew performance in the middle of my dinner. 

I will caution to pace yourself. You don't have to try and get your money's worth out of it every day. I didn't think it was possible for me to get tired of sushi but I did. Giovanni's ended up exceeding expectations. Really, high praise to the crew working in the specialties, they know their menus, and they listen and get things right without being overbearingly solicitous.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

I did the UDP on an 11 night Radiance sailing. I don't think many other people had booked it because the specialty restaurants were empty. We had boarded thinking we needed to reserve each dinner ahead of time but that was not the case. Of course, that's hard to predict ahead of time.

The service was perfect. Friendly, but they left us alone to eat. I'm one of those people that can't stand being asked to evaluate crew performance in the middle of my dinner. 

I will caution to pace yourself. You don't have to try and get your money's worth out of it every day. I didn't think it was possible for me to get tired of sushi but I did. Giovanni's ended up exceeding expectations. Really, high praise to the crew working in the specialties, they know their menus, and they listen and get things right without being overbearingly solicitous.

For our cruise 14 nights, My wife just says wow, $300 per person for food on top of the price we all ready paid for the cruise........... when we can get free food just sounds like extra money we don't need to spend.

We buying the packages do they automatically add on the 20% tip too? or can you just pay whatever tip you want at each place the day you are there?

Wondering it is like spa items you buy where they add on  an additional 20% tip when you make the purchase on your cruise planner) ?

Edited by Jimbo

Just now, Jimbo said:

For our cruise 14 nights, My wife just says wow, $300 per person for food on top of the price we all ready paid for the cruise........... when we can get free food just sounds like extra money we don't need to spend.

I wouldn't spend $300 pp but I'd spend a little extra on food. .. though tbh most of my extra $$$ goes to excursions.  Its lucky there are so many ways to get a little food discounted. BOGO or they had Giovanni on sale 2 days ago. 

It is a good price, but I think you will get tired of the same menu.  I find Giovannis has the better food and menu usually, but they do get old after a while.  That said, with the changes that are currently being implemented in the MDR, I would probably book the UDP on your sailing at that price.  I booked it for our upcoming 11 nighter on the Anthem TA.  Just remember they now add an 18% gratuity when you check out of the cruise planner, and you still will need to pay tips.  

JC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I wouldn't spend $300 pp but I'd spend a little extra on food. .. though tbh most of my extra $$$ goes to excursions.  Its lucky there are so many ways to get a little food discounted. BOGO or they had Giovanni on sale 2 days ago. 

We will have the 2 Diamond Plus B1G1F coupons for 2  nights, I guess after that we will just  look for sales onboard for deals at the specialty restaurants.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

We will have the 2 Diamond Plus B1G1F coupons for 2  nights, I guess after that we will just  look for sales onboard for deals at the specialty restaurants.

I grabbed a lunch at Giovanni when they had their 1 day national pizza day sale 2 days ago. A bit early to eat, but they have a very nice menu including the filet, 16.99, 20.04 with tip for about all the best items. 

We will see onboard about bogo. Bellas cruise up next. Playing it by ear. 

8 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Jimbo, I am reading this thread and it seems like you are cruising again, and on RCI?  Which one of us has lost our minds?😂

jc

Crazy Fools we Are ! Not until September(Jewel)..........14 nights too(Go Big or Go Home), really taking a chance huh? 🤣

No Flowrider, you couldn't handle this ship.......😂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1