On Diamond Now En Route to Japan

Bobbiegentry

How are your thoughts on the cruise, so far?   

Saw a post on a different BB and the poster, on the cruise with you,  was complaining about everything on the cruise....  wine was bad and I quote "Nasty, discount store quality", room was dirty, food was sub par... etc.

Do hope you are enjoying your self, and have a great trip to Japan.   

1 hour ago, Valiamo said:

How are your thoughts on the cruise, so far?   

Saw a post on a different BB and the poster, on the cruise with you,  was complaining about everything on the cruise....  wine was bad and I quote "Nasty, discount store quality", room was dirty, food was sub par... etc.

Do hope you are enjoying your self, and have a great trip to Japan.   

Absolutely wonderful! Zero complaints. Have no idea what the other person has found to fuss about. 
The Coral had historically been our favorite Princess ship. This is our first trip in the Diamond and after less than one full day, she’s challenging the incumbent favorite!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

Bon Voyage!

I love the Diamond- 

Is the onsen still in operation?

Yes. Here is pricing. I read where the outdoor part could be booked separately but not on this sailing. I asked when we toured yesterday and was told it’s all or nothing at all. 

10% off if elite. 

EF5ACA84-7B5F-4498-B221-D1ECB1954913.thumb.jpeg.eb8ef1576ff012d142f0832a96990356.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I heard they are requiring masks and the covid test.   Any truth to the masks?    

I don’t know about this particular cruise but people should be aware that on any cruise there is a chance masks could be required depending on size of any outbreak

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I heard they are requiring masks and the covid test.   Any truth to the masks?    

Yes. Required. Signs posted all over. Casual observation is that 80%+ are complying. 
Watched a woman on the elevator yesterday take an older Japanese guy to task yesterday for not wearing one. 

@Bobbiegentry

I wish you great internet "speed" and connection as you keep us up to date on your journey.  Looking forward to hearing all about your journey.  

Nice numbers.  I did know about picking up passengers in Honolulu, but didn't think the number would be so high. Why would anyone give up 5 sea days?  It was the same fare, regardless.  

My dear friend (Assistant Manager MDR) was supposed to be joining the Diamond in Osaka in March before their deep cleaning (March 10--15).  He was reassigned to another ship.  Got a promotion to Assistant Maitre 'd.  So sad for me but thrilled for him.  I am guessing you will be picking up a lot of new crew once you hit Japan.  

Enjoy these new ports.  Have fun in Hawaii.  

Malama Pono

• Like 1

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

@Bobbiegentry

I wish you great internet "speed" and connection as you keep us up to date on your journey.  Looking forward to hearing all about your journey.  

Nice numbers.  I did know about picking up passengers in Honolulu, but didn't think the number would be so high. Why would anyone give up 5 sea days?  It was the same fare, regardless.  

My dear friend (Assistant Manager MDR) was supposed to be joining the Diamond in Osaka in March before their deep cleaning (March 10--15).  He was reassigned to another ship.  Got a promotion to Assistant Maitre 'd.  So sad for me but thrilled for him.  I am guessing you will be picking up a lot of new crew once you hit Japan.  

Enjoy these new ports.  Have fun in Hawaii.  

Malama Pono

So far the internet is slow but definitely still usable for everything we’ve tried to use it for. Not tried streaming as this isn’t a hot  button for us. 

Are you able to explain to me how it is that pax are joining the cruise in HI? Crew I understand. But pax? When I first heard this I did a search for this sailing but only from HI to Japan. Showed nothing. 

Been sailing with Princess for a lot of years and just didn’t know this was possible/allowed. Other lines like MSC do this routinely but never heard of it on Princess. 
So that my question isn’t misunderstood, I’m certainly not taking issue with this, just curious. 

69864FC8-F2A3-4DE2-83BB-15F238EFE8E7.thumb.jpeg.6f09ff188a0bc3d1cedea3100c801c46.jpeg

I looked into this cruise for myself and my sister (she lives in Honolulu).  It was listed under a cruise from San Diego to Yokohama.  There was something in there that "allowed" passengers to embark in Honolulu.  They would have to pay the full fare.  There is no PVSA involved since they would start in Honolulu and end up at at foreign port.  

Holland America, even the Pacific Princess, had a few cruises from Honolulu to....South Pacific, Asia, Vancouver.  

It was very enticing to my sister, but she is a new cruiser and was concerned about so many sea days.  So we opted for a later cruise around Japan.  I was booked on March 15.  Should have kept it.  Imagine....a thoroughly cleaned ship from top to bottom.  But, the pragmatist in me says that the Diamond needed to work out a few bugs.  Regardless of all my excuses.  I will be on the Diamond this year!

So my sister is flying up to CA to take a flight to Yokohama with me.  It was cheaper that flying out of Honolulu.  Go figure?????

I know passengers have reported back about no International Cafe (I knew that), but would like to know what they offer for breakfast/snacks at the Good Spirit's Bar.  Time available?  On the Coral (pre IC), the bar would have a tray of goodies.  

Again, Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

Edited by cr8tiv1

thanks for asking about the itinerary and then posting of the Itinerary. It was interesting to look at and to think about whether that would be something that would appeal to me. that is a lot of sea days. interesting ports along the way.   What happens at the international date line? I mean why is it listed like that in the itinerary like that?  I look forward to following your journey .  hoping you smooth sailing and a pleasant journey. 

You are going to become my best resource person in the world.  

Would you take a photo of the shower head in your cabin?  I am thinking about asking for a hand held shower and wonder if I would be able to use it as both a wall mount and a hand held.  Or would it just be dangling from the fixture.  

I hope we are going to be really good friends by the end of this trip.  Someday, I hope I can repay your kindness.

3 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

What happens at the international date line? I mean why is it listed like that in the itinerary like that?

The day immediately changes to the next day.

If before crossing the IDL it was Wednesday heading west, once you cross it it is Thursday.

No ceremony like when crossing the Equator.

• Thanks 1

We had the pleasure of sailing on the Diamond Princess December 27-January 29. Loved the crew, they worked so hard to make our cruise enjoyable. We ate in the International dining room almost every day, service and food was fabulous. Crooners bar was our favorite hangout before dinner, Mandy the bartender  always took such good care of us, the music was wonderful as we relaxed and visited with the regulars each night. Cal was the beverage manager and he was such a nice guy. William at Good Spirits was an incredible mixologist. The sanctuary crew were ready to get you anything at anytime, excellent service. The housekeeping staff was wonderful, they worked so hard, the best we’ve had in the last few cruises.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I looked into this cruise for myself and my sister (she lives in Honolulu).  It was listed under a cruise from San Diego to Yokohama.  There was something in there that "allowed" passengers to embark in Honolulu.  They would have to pay the full fare.  There is no PVSA involved since they would start in Honolulu and end up at at foreign port.  

Holland America, even the Pacific Princess, had a few cruises from Honolulu to....South Pacific, Asia, Vancouver.  

It was very enticing to my sister, but she is a new cruiser and was concerned about so many sea days.  So we opted for a later cruise around Japan.  I was booked on March 15.  Should have kept it.  Imagine....a thoroughly cleaned ship from top to bottom.  But, the pragmatist in me says that the Diamond needed to work out a few bugs.  Regardless of all my excuses.  I will be on the Diamond this year!

So my sister is flying up to CA to take a flight to Yokohama with me.  It was cheaper that flying out of Honolulu.  Go figure?????

I know passengers have reported back about no International Cafe (I knew that), but would like to know what they offer for breakfast/snacks at the Good Spirit's Bar.  Time available?  On the Coral (pre IC), the bar would have a tray of goodies.  

Again, Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

I’m at Good Spirits now and inquired about goodies. Was told that they stopped the goodie tray 2.5 months ago. Drinks only now. 
F08BD819-CFE5-4BDC-B7BC-65C5EF29D7AA.thumb.png.c3da94028bf89d01fbfc10cbf62f2470.png8A6E266E-DDD5-4533-907E-404543B06B59.thumb.png.70a987abac59683cf0f872f1845f1920.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Would you take a photo of the shower head in your cabin?  I am thinking about asking for a hand held shower and wonder if I would be able to use it as both a wall mount and a hand held.  Or would it just be dangling from the fixture.  

I hope we are going to be really good friends by the end of this trip.  Someday, I hope I can repay your kindness.

As @caribillsaid, we will slide seamlessly from the 24th to the 26th. And the 25? Poof. Never happened. The equator crossing is always fun. 

Funny thing about coming back though. We leave Tokyo on 3.17 at 1835 and arrive DFW on 3.17 at 1600! We get back an hour and a half before we leave!

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Happy to help. 
D60BE0BB-D6EF-4E0C-83C1-1B4D9F806741.thumb.jpeg.b24b12ce7a489397b7ef20644e21d377.jpegE42BD29A-4065-402B-97E7-F73EA43642D6.thumb.jpeg.98a0f3c326cefa3d36ca66e64c2d742f.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice shower.  Are you in a balcony or less (aka shower stall or tub)?

Disappointing about Good Spirits, but totally understand.

I'm guessing with so few passengers, they do not have all MDR's open.  

A heads up and railing holding ahead.  There is a low coming in from the West (Kauai).  You are heading right into it this week/weekend.  Hopefully, it will have cleared out of Kauai before you get to that island.  

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/02/13/breaking-news/high-surf-advisory-in-effect-for-hawaiis-eastern-shores/