Live Review - Harmony of the Seas 2/18-2/26 Southern Caribbean

DaKahuna

1 hour ago, abpplh said:

Which excursion did you take in Aruba?  We are on a similar itinerary in December on the Odyssey going to Curacao, Aruba and Labadee.

We honeymooned in Aruba almost 21 years ago and loved it - this was a year after getting engaged on Adventure of the Seas the night before our Aruba stop!  

We were thinking of the Half Day off Road Adventure.  In Curacao we will probably explore on our own and possiblly get a day pass at the Marriott and have a beach day.

Well, whatever you do, don’t go climbing about in those ruins! Yikes @DaKahuna! I hope your owy is doing ok…

Edited by zanydoc

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I’ve heard great things about Eagle Beach. It’s on my list now to visit.

Having scoped it out in advance, my daughter and I took the local bus to Eagle Beach.  We bought the "Retour" passes for $5 each, which covered two rides (one there and one back), and the buses run every 10-15 minutes.  Our tip is to get off at the stop after the main Eagle Beach stop.  It is called "Amsterdam Manor", and it is at the much less crowded end of Eagle Beach.  I believe loungers and an umbrella are available to rent for $40 for two.  However, there are a number of trees a short distance from the water where we were able to lounge in the shade for free on the towels we brought from the ship.  There are changing rooms and restrooms nearby, as well as rental jet skis, life jackets and more.  There is also a restaurant and bar.  We went in the morning, stayed for several hours, and came back to the ship in time for lunch.  A very economical day at one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, dianawill said:
  1. New Captain? I am boarding on Sunday, who will drive the ship?

Sorry, I did not think to ask.

According to Captain Marshall, each captain spends 10 weeks on the ship before rotating off. Then he takes his time off before coming back for the next 10 weeks.

When Harmony moves to Miami, she will be taking over for Symphony and doing 7 day Caribbean sailings until she moves to Galveston.

He also addressed a question about why Bonaire was skipped.  Harmony as well as the other RCI big girls cannot dock in Bonaire because they draw too much water and Bonaire is too shallow. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, abpplh said:

Which excursion did you take in Aruba?  We are on a similar itinerary in December on the Odyssey going to Curacao, Aruba and Labadee.

We honeymooned in Aruba almost 21 years ago and loved it - this was a year after getting engaged on Adventure of the Seas the night before our Aruba stop!  

We were thinking of the Half Day off Road Adventure.  In Curacao we will probably explore on our own and possiblly get a day pass at the Marriott and have a beach day.

I was on the Picture Aruba shore excursion.

Interesting fact - all Beaches in Aruba are public.  Even the ones in from of the hotels. 

We saw a number of four wheeler’s and side by sides out at the Natural Bridge and Gold Mine Ruins.  It’s very dry and dusty so be prepared for that. 

7 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Well, whatever you do, don’t go climbing about in those ruins! Yikes @DaKahuna! I hope your owy is doing ok…

Now you tell me.

The arm is healing nicely.  The knew is as well but still a little pain if I don’t move it for a while. 

• Like 3

I watched the 10:15 PM production of “Grease” by the ships singers and dancers and enjoyed most of it. There were a couple of times that found my self hoping they would just move along but overall I found it entertaining.  A one and done in my opinion. 

• Like 6

Good morning .. Welcome to our least favorite sea day.  While we throughly enjoy the relaxing days at sea, the last sea day has to be our least favorite.  The knowledge that starting late tomorrow morning we have to fend for ourselves.  Prepare our own meals, make our own beds, wash our own dishes, etc.  

The only thing special on today’s agenda is the Veterans Tribute being held at 1130 on deck 5, the Promenade.  Captain Mitchell made a point at our lunch yesterday when he found out I was a Veteran to tell me to make sure I was there.  There was a Veteran gathering earlier in the cruise and one who was on a back to back, said that it was a very moving event and that they ‘do it right.’ 

Otherwise we are just relaxing in the Suite Lounge.  

One thing we definitely not miss is listening to the Cruise Director talk endlessly about the activities going on this morning.  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

Having scoped it out in advance, my daughter and I took the local bus to Eagle Beach.  We bought the "Retour" passes for $5 each, which covered two rides (one there and one back), and the buses run every 10-15 minutes.  Our tip is to get off at the stop after the main Eagle Beach stop.  It is called "Amsterdam Manor", and it is at the much less crowded end of Eagle Beach.  I believe loungers and an umbrella are available to rent for $40 for two.  However, there are a number of trees a short distance from the water where we were able to lounge in the shade for free on the towels we brought from the ship.  There are changing rooms and restrooms nearby, as well as rental jet skis, life jackets and more.  There is also a restaurant and bar.  We went in the morning, stayed for several hours, and came back to the ship in time for lunch.  A very economical day at one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean

Thanks for the great advice!

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

One thing we definitely not miss is listening to the Cruise Director talk endlessly about the activities going on this morning.  

I was on last month and all he did was talk and talk and talk endlessly. Didn't even bother to show up at bellyflop or Quest. Terrible CD in my opinion. Too old and needs to go.

I'm on tomorrow...it's the one thing I'm not looking forward to for the week.

Good evening.  Another relaxing day at sea doing nothing.

Our bags are packed, but we are not ready to go 🙂 

I am feeling a little bad that we did not engage in a lot of activities throughout the ship such as hanging out on the Sundeck, Sauna’s, Spa, Pickleball, Bingo, Trivia, etc.. We are just two easy going folks who like to cruise to get away from the cold weather at home this time of year and to relax. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Crism said:

I was on last month and all he did was talk and talk and talk endlessly. Didn't even bother to show up at bellyflop or Quest. Terrible CD in my opinion. Too old and needs to go.

I'm on tomorrow...it's the one thing I'm not looking forward to for the week.

Dan was at the Belly Flop Competition.  We were having lunch in CK while it was going on but he was there.

7AAAD9A7-6DD6-41A4-8C02-1AAA9F386D37.thumb.jpeg.533079cb0bad9400a6d0d9b2de76aad8.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Good morning .. Welcome to our least favorite sea day.  While we throughly enjoy the relaxing days at sea, the last sea day has to be our least favorite.  The knowledge that starting late tomorrow morning we have to fend for ourselves.  Prepare our own meals, make our own beds, wash our own dishes, etc.  

The only thing special on today’s agenda is the Veterans Tribute being held at 1130 on deck 5, the Promenade.  Captain Mitchell made a point at our lunch yesterday when he found out I was a Veteran to tell me to make sure I was there.  There was a Veteran gathering earlier in the cruise and one who was on a back to back, said that it was a very moving event and that they ‘do it right.’ 

Otherwise we are just relaxing in the Suite Lounge.  

How was the veterans tribute?   Hope you enjoyed it.  

9 minutes ago, topnole said:

How was the veterans tribute?   Hope you enjoyed it.  

I did very much. I stayed in the background as I assumed, correctly so, events like this brings to mind some very emotional memories. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Goodnight to all this week's cruisers who are disembarking tomorrow.  I feel fortunate that my DD and I are staying on for another week (6 days).  I believe that Harmony will then do one more 6-day, followed by one day to move to Miami to resume 7-day cruises until September when she will do a few more 8 day/6 days.  At some point, I believe she is also transferring to Galveston.

Labadee is our favorite private "island", and I'm really looking forward to being there again before we head back to Virginia.  This has been a lovely 8-day cruise, with three nice ports and plenty of restful hours.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

Goodnight to all this week's cruisers who are disembarking tomorrow.  I feel fortunate that my DD and I are staying on for another week (6 days).  I believe that Harmony will then do one more 6-day, followed by one day to move to Miami to resume 7-day cruises until September when she will do a few more 8 day/6 days.  At some point, I believe she is also transferring to Galveston.

Labadee is our favorite private "island", and I'm really looking forward to being there again before we head back to Virginia.  This has been a lovely 8-day cruise, with three nice ports and plenty of restful hours.

Wish were were on the second leg but feel duty bound to attempt to take the warm weather with us back to Virginia.

Sorry that we did not bump into each other while we were on the ship.

Disembarkation was interesting.  There was at least a 30 minute line of people doing self assist. 

Suite passengers who did not do self assist were  able to start leaving the ship around 0730.  We were off the ship and only with little difficulty were able to find all three of our bags and go to customs where facial ID worked without issue.

Ordered Lyft and only had a 6 minute wait. 

By 0830 we were sitting in the United Club Lounge at C Gates.  So an hour from the gangway to the gates.  This included the extra time it too to renew out ID’s for Clear. 

I tank everyone for following along on our ‘adventure’.  My next cruise and live post will be in April when we sail Celebrity Millennium from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles.  This will be documented on the Celebrity CC Board. 

bon voyage! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

32 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Disembarkation was interesting.  There was at least a 30 minute line of people doing self assist. 

Suite passengers who did not do self assist were  able to start leaving the ship around 0730.  We were off the ship and only with little difficulty were able to find all three of our bags and go to customs where facial ID worked without issue.

Ordered Lyft and only had a 6 minute wait. 

By 0830 we were sitting in the United Club Lounge at C Gates.  So an hour from the gangway to the gates.  This included the extra time it too to renew out ID’s for Clear. 

I tank everyone for following along on our ‘adventure’.  My next cruise and live post will be in April when we sail Celebrity Millennium from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles.  This will be documented on the Celebrity CC Board. 

bon voyage! 

Great job, swabby!  Great review without any B.S. or agenda.  Love it.

• Thanks 1