Alfredo's or MDR for embarkation lunch

korky1

30 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

WAIT!!!!

I boarded the Diamond Princess on January 6th to Hawaii and headed directly to the MDR and my mouth was a watering for the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer to be followed by the Salmon.

Let Down.....

I sat down at the table, the menu was place in front of me and I'm like, "excuse me....but this is the wrong menu for embarkation day.   You are supposed to have Avocado and Bay Shrimp and Salmon".    The waiter looked at me and said, I'm sorry Mam, but the menu has been changed but fortunately we still have the Chateuabriand of Beef Tenderloin.....   Wahhhhh

So, I ordered the two new things on the menu:  Cold Smoked Salmon and Crayfish Tails and the Trout Amadine.   Neither of them were as good as the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer & the Salmon.

For Your Viewing Pleasure

86A3EA6C-F39E-4B7B-8DA9-37F077912D3B.jpeg

3FC8327F-FA76-4339-B558-EF5CBB95A162.jpeg

2C1C2E06-3BB4-41CA-A0C0-E09CF1722B53.jpeg

Please say it isn’t true!  Noooooo…. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We went on the Diamond at the end of January and the old reliable menu was back in place for us!  

Maybe enough of us complained and got it put back like it should be.    Don't change what's not broke!

Glad to hear they put it back to normal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Maybe enough of us complained and got it put back like it should be.    Don't change what's not broke!

Glad to hear they put it back to normal.

And now they are headed to Japan, the menu may change again.  Maybe that is just an assumption, though.  
The food was very good in the Diamond, with the exception of one meal at lunch in the MDR.  
I was very pleased with that aspect of the cruise.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 2:34 PM, caribill said:

Below is not from the Enchanted, but is typical for an embarkation lunch menu in the dining room.

(To enlarge, click on a photo. Then click again on the new image. That will open up the photo in a new tab. Click on that photo and it will be enlarged for viewing.)

DSC03186 moda.jpg

DSC03188 moda.jpg

We  usually do embarkation lunch in mdr .  I like the chicken cacciatore or salmon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Your welcome!  Which ship will you be on?

We will be on the Enchanted, boarding next week!  It’s my friend’s first cruise - I sold her on it by promising she could eat well.  Your posts have been so reassuring  🥰

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fa-Li said:

We will be on the Enchanted, boarding next week!  It’s my friend’s first cruise - I sold her on it by promising she could eat well.  Your posts have been so reassuring  🥰

Sorry a bit off topic.

Let them know when you arrive at the MDR that she has a dairy allergy.  When at the Buffet ask for the Chef and they will walk the Buffet with her and tell her what is safe for her to eat.  It’s harder at the International café and sometimes (usually) there will be nothing available for her there. When she orders room service it’s safest to have her call and place her order so she can remind them that she has a dairy allergy unless she is ordering something that obviously would not have any dairy in it like fruit.  

Each night in the MDR they have a different flavor of sorbet that is really good.  Also, the Cold Peach Soup is the best!  

Show her my photos and enjoy your cruise!  Let me know if you have any questions.

9E52D56E-C10F-4B0C-A085-D6F46D0B1EBA.jpeg

16CB983D-1327-4396-B20C-6CDFD25DB89F.jpeg

C6B232D7-FEFB-4358-A216-7EB2FCDBE253.jpeg

566AC280-0621-4CE1-B8E7-D4E6C433F8AE.jpeg

On 2/16/2023 at 11:03 PM, nini said:

The dining room has never been on our radar for embarkation day. It is really that good? I appreciate any comments. 

We went to the buffet on embarkation day once and will NEVER do it again.  Everyone who is on board is in the buffet.  It is noisy and crowded.  The first time cruisers are piling it on high like they haven't eaten in days.  The MDR is nice and quiet and very slow paced.  perfect start to a cruise.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, StrawberryHill said:

We went to the buffet on embarkation day once and will NEVER do it again.  Everyone who is on board is in the buffet.  It is noisy and crowded.  The first time cruisers are piling it on high like they haven't eaten in days.  The MDR is nice and quiet and very slow paced.  perfect start to a cruise.

That is an excellent point. The buffet is very crowded.

2 hours ago, StrawberryHill said:

I remember my first cruise lunch buffet and we did eat a ton.  I think it was the first time that I ever told my daughter that she could order anything that she wanted at dinner and boy did she.  I now go to the MDR for embarkation lunch. 😊😊😊

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

At least Alfredo was back, but that doesn't look like a trout fillet to me.

If this is the menu on our next cruise then I may skip the MDR.  The things that I order are no longer on the menu.  So sad because I always look forward to embarkation lunch.  That order is when I know that my cruise has officially started.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@MsSoCalCruiser  I just wanted to come back and thank you!  Just got home and my friend had the best vacation ever!  She went the whole ten days, eating whatever she desired, with not a single allergic reaction.  They were just as good about taking care of her as you said they'd be!

As for the original point of this thread (thank you OP for being so gracious about me highjacking it), we had a wonderful embarkation day lunch in club class in the mdr.  It was a nice way to meet the servers who would be taking care of us the rest of the cruise, and the food was top-notch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fa-Li said:

@MsSoCalCruiser  I just wanted to come back and thank you!  Just got home and my friend had the best vacation ever!  She went the whole ten days, eating whatever she desired, with not a single allergic reaction.  They were just as good about taking care of her as you said they'd be!

As for the original point of this thread (thank you OP for being so gracious about me highjacking it), we had a wonderful embarkation day lunch in club class in the mdr.  It was a nice way to meet the servers who would be taking care of us the rest of the cruise, and the food was top-notch.

You are so welcome!  You just made my day!  Are you both ready to book another cruise???

1 minute ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

You are so welcome!  You just made my day!  Are you both ready to book another cruise???

Indeed we are!  She was hooked!

Meant to add, we did 360 and they even accommodated her there, with no fuss at all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have they brought back our embarkation day menu yet?  I’m really hoping that it is there for my next cruise.  I want to order the bay shrimp and salmon.  I’m not sure how my Cardiologist would feel if I had the tenderloin for lunch with a Crown Grill Ribeye chaser for dinner. 😂😂😂

15 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Have they brought back our embarkation day menu yet?  I’m really hoping that it is there for my next cruise.  I want to order the bay shrimp and salmon.  I’m not sure how my Cardiologist would feel if I had the tenderloin for lunch with a Crown Grill Ribeye chaser for dinner. 😂😂😂

I also won’t to have the avacado shrimp and the salmon. Hasn’t these items been on the first day?

27 minutes ago, tjcletzgo said:

I also won’t to have the avacado shrimp and the salmon. Hasn’t these items been on the first day?

They changed the menu. Someone posted a menu above and it does not have the shrimp or salmon on it.  I’m hoping they bring it back before my next cruise. That’s how I know it’s cruise day!  

On 2/18/2023 at 6:21 PM, cruzin4us said:

WAIT!!!!

I boarded the Diamond Princess on January 6th to Hawaii and headed directly to the MDR and my mouth was a watering for the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer to be followed by the Salmon.

Let Down.....

I sat down at the table, the menu was place in front of me and I'm like, "excuse me....but this is the wrong menu for embarkation day.   You are supposed to have Avocado and Bay Shrimp and Salmon".    The waiter looked at me and said, I'm sorry Mam, but the menu has been changed but fortunately we still have the Chateuabriand of Beef Tenderloin.....   Wahhhhh

So, I ordered the two new things on the menu:  Cold Smoked Salmon and Crayfish Tails and the Trout Amadine.   Neither of them were as good as the Avocado and Bay Shrimp Appetizer & the Salmon.

For Your Viewing Pleasure

86A3EA6C-F39E-4B7B-8DA9-37F077912D3B.jpeg

3FC8327F-FA76-4339-B558-EF5CBB95A162.jpeg

2C1C2E06-3BB4-41CA-A0C0-E09CF1722B53.jpeg

Wrong dishes. Nice try.