Kids/Adult swapping rooms and sea pass cards

Sportsdoc

I tried searching this topic as but could only find threads 5+ or more years old and just want to be sure in a post COVID world that there are not other instructions or experiences people could share as I am a little anxious about the process.  I am sure we are not the first to have this issue of a travel party of 6 - Two adults, Two "rookie adults" age 19, and two 16 year olds traveling this summer on the Allure.  We have three rooms - two interior connecting and one balcony directly across the hall.  We had to book with a parent in the 16 year old room but once on intend to have the "kids"  all in the interior rooms and parents in the balcony room.  My question is will they give me a hard time switching or adding the room key portion of the sea pass card so that we all will be able to access our correct sleeping room and is it still best to wait until on board and handle this all at Guest Services??

Thank you in advance for direction and any previous experiences as it will make me feel much better knowing in advance it will not be a huge deal.

We did this both this past summer on Harmony and in December on Allure with no issues (15 and 13 year old in an inside diagonal across hall from our balcony).

Would recommend just talking to your room steward to let them know what's going on (as ours was confused on Harmony the first day since it was a different steward than our balcony room) and then print extra keys from guest services versus swapping them.

• Like 2

There are two advantages to booking this way that you may not have considered. First of all, with an adult booked in two of the cabins, you can now bring aboard 4 bottles of wine. Secondly,  if one of you chooses to buy the Deluxe Beverage Package but the other one doesn't, you won't be obliged to buy the second one as you would if you were booked in the same cabin.

• Like 2

Just now, Fouremco said:

There are two advantages to booking this way that you may not have considered. First of all, with an adult booked in two of the cabins, you can now bring aboard 4 bottles of wine. Secondly,  if one of you chooses to buy the Deluxe Beverage Package but the other one doesn't, you won't be obliged to buy the second one as you would if you were booked in the same cabin.

Exactly right and we brought 4 bottles on both cruises I mentioned earlier with zero issues.

• Like 2

First, we did the exact situation you mentioned back in July.  DW, myself, and DS(18) in one room.  DD, DD friend (both 16) and DS GF (18) in adjacent (not connecting) room.   You might want to check and see the price difference in getting a 2nd adjacent balcony instead of the two interiors.  And, I'm pretty sure Royal allows minors to be in rooms across the hallway.  Did at least two different Royal CSRs tell you you have to have an adult in with the 16yos? 

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It's been written a LOT on the boards... if only one person in a room wants an alcohol package, CALL Royal.  Other adults will probably need to get a refreshment package, but it's easy to get around the "all must purchase" rule.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 4:46 PM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

First, we did the exact situation you mentioned back in July.  DW, myself, and DS(18) in one room.  DD, DD friend (both 16) and DS GF (18) in adjacent (not connecting) room.   You might want to check and see the price difference in getting a 2nd adjacent balcony instead of the two interiors.  And, I'm pretty sure Royal allows minors to be in rooms across the hallway.  Did at least two different Royal CSRs tell you you have to have an adult in with the 16yos? 

It's been written a LOT on the boards... if only one person in a room wants an alcohol package, CALL Royal.  Other adults will probably need to get a refreshment package, but it's easy to get around the "all must purchase" rule.

Yes, you can always call and hope that you too will be granted an exception to the policy. The advantage for the OP is that there's no risk of being refused, nor any requirement to phone requesting the exemption. It's been written a LOT on the boards... there can be significant wait times when placing a call to Royal. 

You are looking for a post Covid experience so here is my personal post Covid experience. We had multiple people that booked in the "wrong" cabins for various reasons. Once on board we went to Guest Services. We told them who would be staying in which staterooms and what credit card should be used to pay their on board expenses. The issued everyone new SeaPass cards for the correct room and correct expense account.

• Thanks 1

We have tried to put one 12 and one 15 year old in the same stateroom without adults. Guest service does not “technically” allow it and you are not issued new seapasses, but they are giving you extra key cards, so the persons switching room need to have two cards. 
And let they room steward know of the switch, they don’t mind. 

15 hours ago, J-B said:

We have tried to put one 12 and one 15 year old in the same stateroom without adults. Guest service does not “technically” allow it and you are not issued new seapasses, but they are giving you extra key cards, so the persons switching room need to have two cards. 
And let they room steward know of the switch, they don’t mind. 

If you have a TA, they can assign them this way from the start, as long as they are right next to or right across the hall from their adults. We did it last year with our 12 & 15 y.o.s and are booked this way again this year with our (now) 13 & 16 y.o.s.