No more omelette tickets in the buffet

Torfamm

They finally got rid of one of my pet peeves, at least on the Enchanted. They simply give you a number when you order an omelette and let you wait and take it yourself when it is ready.

No more getting a ticket, taking the ticket to your table, waiting for a waiter to come take your ticket, waiting for the waiter to return with your omelette, then going back to collect the rest of your breakfast.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

They finally got rid of one of my pet peeves, at least on the Enchanted. They simply give you a number when you order an omelette and let you wait and take it yourself when it is ready.

No more getting a ticket, taking the ticket to your table, waiting for a waiter to come take your ticket, waiting for the waiter to return with your omelette, then going back to collect the rest of your breakfast.

That's a shame. 

Always liked the fact that you could sit and have your omlette delivered, drinking tea/coffee/orange juice,  rather than hanging around the omlette station causing congestion.

• Like 14

8 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

was never a problem for me. I've always waited in front of the egg station.

My DH likes to sit at the table and wait for it, but quite a few times they simply forgot about him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's a shame. 

Always liked the fact that you could sit and have your omlette delivered, drinking tea/coffee/orange juice,  rather than hanging around the omlette station causing congestion.

To each his own. I think both methods probably cause about the same congestion. Waiting time was much longer the old way though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

My DH likes to sit at the table and wait for it, but quite a few times they simply forgot about him.

But why stand and wait and block the egg station for everyone else for 10 minutes.

We have never been "forgotten"  - the waiters seem to have a sixth sense about collecting and delivering orders

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

This is the first Princess cruise for me  where they would give omelets directly to passengers. It was always no table, no waiter - no omelets 

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But why stand and wait and block the egg station for everyone else for 10 minutes.

We have never been "forgotten"  - the waiters seem to have a sixth sense about collecting and delivering orders

You don’t have to stand in front of the egg station any more than all the waiters waiting for omelets did. You can take a plate and get the rest of your food for one thing or just step aside.

Given staffing shortages on recent cruises this has been a huge reduction in waiting time for me. Waiters have been hard to find in the buffet since the restart. It also lets me take my breakfast out to a table by the pool where it’s less crowded.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

You don’t have to stand in front of the egg station any more than all the waiters waiting for omelets

But the waiters don't hang around.  They just pass by and see if your omlette is ready. They are too busy to just wait, doing nothing..

• Like 2

We've cruised getting our  omelette both ways.  Like  getting it right after it came off the grill.  No need to stand directly in front of egg station after placing your order - be courteous and step to the side.  When I order one hard fried egg I wait to the side while it is cooking.

• Like 2

The last time I got a ticket for an omelet the waiter came by and took the ticket but I never got the omelet. We waited a long time and ate other food but the omelet never showed up so we finally just left.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Torfamm said:

So, if I understand, you prefer to stand around waiting for an omelet rather than sitting at a table and waiting for somebody to deliver your omelet.  Hmmm.

Hank

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

So, if I understand, you prefer to stand around waiting for an omelet rather than sitting at a table and waiting for somebody to deliver your omelet.  Hmmm.

Hank

For me, yes. On Celebrity (have sailed almost exclusively), I order my omelette, go grab a few other things, come back and wait a few minutes for my omelette. Booked our 1st Princess cruise for later this year and hope it works the same. Dining area staff in the buffet was close to non-existent on our most recent Celebrity cruise (and still loved it!) Guessing Princess is having the same staffing woes so I’d rather self-service 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

No, I just prefer to get all of my food at one time. I hate having to either let everything get cold while I wait around for a waiter to take my ticket and then go back to the buffet and get my omelette and then bring it to meal or having to get up and return to the buffet with my omelette to get the rest of my breakfast.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Klugslodge1 said:

For me, yes. On Celebrity (have sailed almost exclusively), I order my omelette, go grab a few other things, come back and wait a few minutes for my omelette. Booked our 1st Princess cruise for later this year and hope it works the same. Dining area staff in the buffet was close to non-existent on our most recent Celebrity cruise (and still loved it!) Guessing Princess is having the same staffing woes so I’d rather self-service 😀

It may vary by ship, but on the Coral recently there was definitely no shortage of staff in the buffet. We used the omelette station every day and never waited more than a few minutes for it to be delivered piping hot to our table. 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Torfamm said:

No, I just prefer to get all of my food at one time. I hate having to either let everything get cold while I wait around for a waiter to take my ticket and then go back to the buffet and get my omelette and then bring it to meal or having to get up and return to the buffet with my omelette to get the rest of my breakfast.

So, you order your omlette, go and fill your plate with bacon, sausage etc, and then find your omlette is not ready, so your food items go cold while you wait,  or you hang around by the wait station, for five or ten minutes, doing nothing until your omlette is ready,  and then you add your extras.

Personally, I sit and relax with a nice cup of tea whilst my omlette is cooked, and when it is delivered I nip up to the buffet and put anything else I need on to a seperate plate and return to my table. Simple and relaxing.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

That is definitely my preference.  With a hot omelet in hand, I can grab other things and bring a hot and fresh meal back to a table.  With the omelet delivery, I can either grab other things first and sit and wait  for an omelet while my other food gets cold, or wait for the omelet to show up and let it get cold while I go get other items. 

7 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Have never waited more than 2-4 minutes before tickets started being used.  On Regal in Oct Nov it took at least 5-6 minutes to get our omelet to the table.  On the Regal in 2 weeks so will see how it goes

I guess it depends in the cruise. Last year, on Regal, there were normally always 10 or 12 tickets waiting.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:25 AM, Torfamm said:

I'm not sure which buffet you went to but the Enchanted is still using the ticket system right now. You can have the waiter get it for you or wait for it to be cooked.  Unless you're there at peak times, they're pretty fast at making them.

• Like 1

Oops didn't know about tickets in Oct. We were on the Sapphire I went to buffet only a couple times and I got nice hot omelets. I would order then make my toast go back and get my omelet maybe grab a slice of bacon. The bacon on this cruise was perfect, not the past thin stuff I've had on other cruises.

In Aug. I will ask because I don't want to cause them any confusion.

• Like 1