Trans Atlantic Covid testing

Cruisechick59

1 hour ago, bigbeergut said:

Curiosity?  I’m surprised that Celebrity would have a testing requirement that wasn’t a government mandate.

If voluntary testing might reduce the number of passengers boarding on a longer cruise with a bunch of sea days it is an excellent policy.  On 2 recent cruises one requiring a proctored test and the other unproctored - there were a number of people who showed visible symptoms of being ill and were not wearing a mask.  Flu, covid, RSV or a cold: I prefer none of the above.  

Multiple sea days multiplies the opportunity for transfer of viruses and makes transferring sick to land based treatment very difficult.

Think about it - you are asked to use a FREE covid test and either take a picture of your negative test stick or put stick in a baggie and bring it with you to check in.  This is an honor system self test.

Don't have any tests?  Here you can pick them up at any library.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

If voluntary testing might reduce the number of passengers boarding on a longer cruise with a bunch of sea days it is an excellent policy.  On 2 recent cruises one requiring a proctored test and the other unproctored - there were a number of people who showed visible symptoms of being ill and were not wearing a mask.  Flu, covid, RSV or a cold: I prefer none of the above.  

Multiple sea days multiplies the opportunity for transfer of viruses and makes transferring sick to land based treatment very difficult.

Think about it - you are asked to use a FREE covid test and either take a picture of your negative test stick or put stick in a baggie and bring it with you to check in.  This is an honor system self test.

Don't have any tests?  Here you can pick them up at any library.  

Not available at any library I know ? 
they are giving them out at Walmart 😁

18 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe insurance is still required to provide 8 tests per month at no cost.   My Medicare advantage plan doesn't but then regular Medicare covers it.   I've heard this runs out soon so stock up now.

Tests are free with insurance in the US until the President declares the Covid Pandemic is over.  Many health departments and various government agencies are giving them away in other states as demand has dropped.  

18 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe insurance is still required to provide 8 tests per month at no cost.   My Medicare advantage plan doesn't but then regular Medicare covers it.   I've heard this runs out soon so stock up now.

Did you know you can still order 4 free rapid antigen tests via the USPS. My DW ordered a set and had them delivered to our PO Box and I ordered a set and had it delivered to our home address.

https://special.usps.com/testkits

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Did you know you can still order 4 free rapid antigen tests via the USPS. My DW ordered a set and had them delivered to our PO Box and I ordered a set and had it delivered to our home address.

If on Medicare I believe you can also go to many drug stores and they will give you up to 4 for free.      I was in getting a Flu shot a while back at Rite-Aid and they asked me if I wanted some.   I said Sure. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If on Medicare I believe you can also go to many drug stores and they will give you up to 4 for free.      I was in getting a Flu shot a while back at Rite-Aid and they asked me if I wanted some.   I said Sure. 

Cool! The nice thing about this USPS link deal is that any US resident can order them and it takes only about 30 seconds. We’re doing a family cruise to Japan in July with Princess and recently found out everyone will need to pass an antigen test no later than 1 day prior to boarding, similar to the Celebrity transoceanic cruise requirements this spring. 😁

On 2/24/2023 at 2:26 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Sbb - Found a test stick of mine with a negative result from last December.   Added a couple drops of H2O and it looked the same to me 2 months later.  A person doesn't  need a photo to cheat as there is no real system as we all know.

Wondering how a test stick that shows negative would really be a biohazard.

It’s a biohazard because Covid isn’t the only organism growing in your nose- sharing serotypes of meningococcus isn’t a great idea either.

Agree, the honor system testing is ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We ordered some in the fall and used them. I just tried the above link and they indicated no one at our address can order any more for the time being.

12 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Not available at any library I know ? 
they are giving them out at Walmart 😁

We got ours free at Walmart also. However, after getting covid upon returning from a cruise a few weeks ago both DH and I tested positive so gone through 2 boxes.  I had a scratchy throat lasted 36 hours. 

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Cool! The nice thing about this USPS link deal is that any US resident can order them and it takes only about 30 seconds. We’re doing a family cruise to Japan in July with Princess and recently found out everyone will need to pass an antigen test no later than 1 day prior to boarding, similar to the Celebrity transoceanic cruise requirements this spring. 😁

In the US, if the USPS link no longer works, you can get 4 boxes (8 tests) free every month if on Medicare through your local pharmacy.  They are probably better because they were not handled in the mail.  Most private health plans also reimburse them if you get them at a pharmacy.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

We got ours free at Walmart also. However, after getting covid upon returning from a cruise a few weeks ago both DH and I tested positive so gone through 2 boxes.  I had a scratchy throat lasted 36 hours. 

Time to head back there 

I will have to check the expired dates on all the boxes I have 😁

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Time to head back there 

I will have to check the expired dates on all the boxes I have 😁

Mine expire February and September 2024 so good for several more cruises. I was surprised how many people cruise without OTC meds.  I take everything I may possibly need and even pass out to other passengers.  Stuff is pricey onboard and they may not even have it.

This will be interesting.  We are on a BTBTB with the last cruise a TA.  I guess we will have to do a test onboard, but will they let us do our own RAT or will be have to front up to be tested?  Have to wait to see, I guess.

We are going to have to be extra careful if there is any Covid onboard not to contract it as we don't want to be put off the ship before the TA.