Dining Room Attire

rs12065

I haven't cruised since precovid. We are booked for the December 10 cruise on the Venezia. Are nice shorts allowed in the main dining room for dinner?

If your response is for me to search previous threads or a snarky response, please move on. I just want to know we if there has been any changes in acceptable dress in the last 5 years.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, rs12065 said:

I haven't cruised since precovid. We are booked for the December 10 cruise on the Venezia. Are nice shorts allowed in the main dining room for dinner?

If your response is for me to search previous threads or a snarky response, please move on. I just want to know we if there has been any changes in acceptable dress in the last 5 years.

Thanks in advance.

Snark is real , but so is lazy. "Nice" is also meaningless in the context of this post.

Carnival has the policy posted on their website. Rather or not enforced 100% is another matter.

I had people in jean shorts and white t-shirts on during elegant night on my last cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Shorts are indeed allowed in the MDR during regular nights...but...supposedly...not cutoffs, swim trunks, or athletic shorts. Shorts are not supposed to be allowed on Elegant nights, but on our Vista cruise last November, one of the guys at our table wore shorts every single night. He also wore a T shirt one of the Elegant nights...supposedly not allowed. He was a great, fun table companion, and his clothing choices didn't bother me in the least. 

• Like 1

You’re going to get a zillion responses. But our last cruise was this past January, and yes we wore shorts. I think as long as they’re “nice” and not gym shorts or sweats it’s fine. No one batted an eye when we wore shorts. 

• Like 2

Maybe this is snarky, but the acceptable attire is right on Carnival website in the FAQ under "What to Wear":

What to Wear - Evening Attire  
Following is the dress code in the main dining room(s) for both men, women and children:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Be sure to bring a red or blue outfit or a top for our Mega Deck Party.

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire 

The Steakhouse: The dress requirements for the Steakhouse follows the dress code specified for the main dining room(s); if the evening is specified as “Cruise Casual,” shorts are not permitted.

Please Note: All guests are expected to ensure their clothing and accessories are respectful to fellow guests. Specifically, items worn during the cruise should not contain any message that may be considered offensive or contain nudity, profanity, sexual innuendo/suggestions. In addition, clothing/accessories should not promote negative ethnic or racial, commentary, or hatred or violence in any form.   

• Like 2

To answer your question, Carnival hasn't changed their dress code "on paper" in at least 5 years - so shorts are still not acceptable for elegant evening. But in reality if you wear shorts with a zipper you'll feel overdressed on today's Carnival.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, hillbillycruisers said:

Shorts are indeed allowed in the MDR during regular nights...but...supposedly...not cutoffs, swim trunks, or athletic shorts. Shorts are not supposed to be allowed on Elegant nights, but on our Vista cruise last November, one of the guys at our table wore shorts every single night. He also wore a T shirt one of the Elegant nights...supposedly not allowed. He was a great, fun table companion, and his clothing choices didn't bother me in the least. 

Then you have the other end of the spectrum... a lady flipped out because someone was wearing a cap while dining at Rudy's.  Somehow, him wearing a cap was ruining her dinner???  Her antics was kind of interfering with everyone else's dinner although we did have a nice chuckle with the table next to us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iria64 said:

Then you have the other end of the spectrum... a lady flipped out because someone was wearing a cap while dining at Rudy's.  Somehow, him wearing a cap was ruining her dinner???  Her antics was kind of interfering with everyone else's dinner although we did have a nice chuckle with the table next to us.

I guess some people have such sad, dreamless lives that they must complain about other people who are actually enjoying themselves. Bless their hearts! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, scoobert2 said:

So no T-shirts allowed? My hubby doesn't do polo shirts and doesn't want to wear a dress shirt on casual dining days. 

They won't turn you away. Like I said earlier, if your shorts have a zipper and an actual hem instead of cut-offs, you'll feel overdressed in a Carnival dining room these days.

Thank you to (almost) all of you for responding. It was very helpful. When I retired I promised my wife that I wouldn’t look homeless. It’s been a challenge 🤣.

• Like 1

I have worn solid dark colored shorts with pockets but without zippers on regular MDR nights with a polo shirt -  and chinos on elegant nights with a polo or button down shirt.

Never had a comment or even a 2nd glance from staffers.  Very relaxed today.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 8:50 AM, scoobert2 said:

So no T-shirts allowed? My hubby doesn't do polo shirts and doesn't want to wear a dress shirt on casual dining days. 

I think a T-shirt would be OK on casual nights.   

On 3/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, evandbob said:

I have worn solid dark colored shorts with pockets but without zippers on regular MDR nights with a polo shirt -  and chinos on elegant nights with a polo or button down shirt.

Never had a comment or even a 2nd glance from staffers.  Very relaxed today.

The way it should be. If one chooses to dress to the nines that is their choice. It shouldnt bother anyone what someone else is wearing to dinner.

• Like 1

I understand the personal choice angle of this debate, but why doesn't the Cruise Line that owns the ship get a personal choice? It seems to me that they made their choice when they wrote the rules and most of these threads fall into the category of: I read the rules that the line posted but want to know if A) I have to follow them or B) have others not followed them and had them enforced? 

Why is this ongoing CC debate such a hard question to answer? Why does it even need to be asked?