Getting Euro Coins while on a Viking cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam

NantahalaCruiser

Viking suggests 1 or 2 Euro tips to local guides and drivers. But 5 Euro is the smallest bill.  So how have you experienced river cruisers gotten Euro coins while on the cruise? Does Viking offer to give you Euro coins onboard in exchange for Euro bills?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

2 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Viking suggests 1 or 2 Euro tips to local guides and drivers. But 5 Euro is the smallest bill.  So how have you experienced river cruisers gotten Euro coins while on the cruise? Does Viking offer to give you Euro coins onboard in exchange for Euro bills?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

It depends on whether they have the coins. We were able to get coins from the front desk most of the time but we also went first thing in the morning. We found that getting change from the guides was always welcome. They are more than happy to get bigger bills for all the coins and small bills they normally get.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AvidCruiserToo said:

It depends on whether they have the coins. We were able to get coins from the front desk most of the time but we also went first thing in the morning. We found that getting change from the guides was always welcome. They are more than happy to get bigger bills for all the coins and small bills they normally get.

Great - thanks for your reply.

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You also need a supply of 1 Euro or 50 cent coins for many public restrooms in Europe.  It really starts to weigh your pockets down!

Which is why a “man purse” or small backpack comes in handy. 

I once negotiated with the attendant in the first, ladies convenience I went into, she had a dish that she used for her tips so we agreed and I swapped her change for my notes and she got a larger tip. I hadn’t even thought about change as you don’t need cash on Scenic. Although I believe at least one cruise company pays for you to use these facilities.

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I once negotiated with the attendant in the first, ladies convenience I went into, she had a dish that she used for her tips so we agreed and I swapped her change for my notes and she got a larger tip. I hadn’t even thought about change as you don’t need cash on Scenic. Although I believe at least one cruise company pays for you to use these facilities.

I think it is Tauck.

13 hours ago, Coral said:

I think it is Tauck.

Yes it is Tauck. I remember being gobsmacked when I first read that, but now it makes so much sense!  If a cruise line advertises that you don’t need your wallet, they should provide for this!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes it is Tauck. I remember being gobsmacked when I first read that, but now it makes so much sense!  If a cruise line advertises that you don’t need your wallet, they should provide for this!

I believe they give you money for lunch when touring on your own or something like that. I haven't experienced it, only read about it.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I believe they give you money for lunch when touring on your own or something like that. I haven't experienced it, only read about it.

That too, although they're not the only ones who do that.  They are, AFAIK, the only ones who as a matter of policy give you 50 p to pee.

On 2/28/2023 at 5:32 PM, NantahalaCruiser said:

Viking suggests 1 or 2 Euro tips to local guides and drivers

No, Viking suggest that as a tip per day.

We suggest €2 per person per day for local guides and €1 per person per day for drivers.

If you go for a 30min coach drive then a 90 minute walking tour then 30 mins back to the ship, then that's not a day.

Re small coins: it might be worth asking friends/acquaintances if they've been to Europe and brought back loose change. And in your 'free time' that all walking tours have, buy a coffee/beer/glass of wine and pay with a note to get change.

The tour guide will point out public toilets, tell you how much they cost and usually have some change with them.